Author Topic: Wundergrounds API broke my previous method of getting weather data, any tools?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Deten

Hi Folks,

I used to generate webpages using excel & the station I was looking at, to grab weather data for a specific day, then I would combine them all together to get a full year of weather info.

Now that they have implemented the API, this setup doesnt work. So now I have an API key, but I figure someone should already have a tool that lets me grab data like this without having to make it myself.  I am not familiar with API, so I really hope that isnt going to be what I have to do :)

Any help?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
You can use WXDailyHistory.php from https://github.com/ktrue/WU-History to have the API fetch data from WU and return in the CSV format that the WU WXDailyHistory.asp page used to return.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Deten

You can use WXDailyHistory.php from https://github.com/ktrue/WU-History to have the API fetch data from WU and return in the CSV format that the WU WXDailyHistory.asp page used to return.

Thank you, I looked at that, but in the "instructions" it says to upload to my website.  But I am not doing this from a server/website, just my own computer.  Do you know if there is a workaround?

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
The code is written in PHP, and that's usually found on a webserver.  You just need to have a PHP interpreter installed (that includes curl library).

The easiest way to do that is to use an all-in-one bundle of Apache/PHP like XAMPP which makes your local system (Windows, MacOS or Linux) into a webserver with PHP capabilities.  You can put the WXDailyHistory.php script in c:\xampp\htdocs directory, then run localhost/WXDailyHistory.php?... to fetch the data/return the CSVs you want.

I think it would be more difficult to just install a command-line version of PHP with the needed features .. the XAMPP program does it for you.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

anything