Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 40412 times)

Offline annapurna88

Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #375 on: April 16, 2020, 08:50:35 AM »
I've seen enough with the new Pro shield so it's going in service as the main radiation shield. I'm doing one more test that has nothing to do with the Pro performance by raising the sensor height to 80" (inches) above the ground to avoid the sprinklers this summer. I want to do some overnight low-temperature comparisons against the 5' (foot) Fars to see if the 2 extra feet height make a large enough difference.
I'll probably move back down to 5' shield height after sprinklers are off next fall. 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Yuor radiation shield is cover on the top?

Don't understand the question, sorry.
Glad to see the 7714 test. So how do you keep the fan from getting wet?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:53:11 AM by annapurna88 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2020, 08:53:09 AM »
If the fans exposed on the bottom it will still get wet. 
Randy

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2020, 08:54:58 AM »
If the fans exposed on the bottom it will still get wet.

it's very very hard that the fun cab be wet...but...only the time of the test, than only metehelix remain working

Offline Dador

• Jejkowice
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »
In a few days we will start a comparison between

:arrow: Davis 7714 passive

:arrow: Davis 7714 with powerful fan

:arrow: Barani meteohelix

Cool! I look forward to the results.

From my comparison of Davis daytime and Davis 7714 passive covers, I can write that the difference is 0.2C on average in favor of daytime. Soon I will be testing Davis daytime with a 12V fan.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:39:27 PM by Dador »

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
In a few days we will start a comparison between

:arrow: Davis 7714 passive

:arrow: Davis 7714 with powerful fan

:arrow: Barani meteohelix

Cool! I look forward to the results.

From my comparison of Davis daytime and Davis 7714 passive covers, I can write that the difference is 0.2C on average in favor of daytime. Soon I will be testing Davis daytime with a 12V fan.

0.2 in the average temperature ore in the max th?

it'seems a little difference between daytime and 7714

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2020, 02:41:57 PM »
Although in Belgium we don't get much snow at all so I'm afraid it won't benefit me too much.

I hope you do the shield comparison. I'm really waiting for the comparison between Barani Pro and Davis 7714. Maybe someone will do a test?  :grin:

I will please you  8-)

Offline Dador

• Jejkowice
« Reply #381 on: April 16, 2020, 04:33:43 PM »

0.2 in the average temperature ore in the max th?

it'seems a little difference between daytime and 7714

Of course it was about Tmax. Sorry. The differences are really negligible. Currently, my main radiation shield is ... 7714.

I will please you  8-)

Yes, it will be great.  \:D/
I will see if it is worth investing in a shield Barani Pro.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #382 on: April 16, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »
I've seen enough with the new Pro shield so it's going in service as the main radiation shield. I'm doing one more test that has nothing to do with the Pro performance by raising the sensor height to 80" (inches) above the ground to avoid the sprinklers this summer. I want to do some overnight low-temperature comparisons against the 5' (foot) Fars to see if the 2 extra feet height make a large enough difference.
I'll probably move back down to 5' shield height after sprinklers are off next fall. 

Which way does the air flow? Is it pulling from the top down or pushing the air up?

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #383 on: April 16, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »

Which way does the air flow? Is it pulling from the top down or pushing the air up?

pushing the air up from the out

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #384 on: April 16, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

pushing the air up from the out
I think you mean up and out the top. If so, any heat the fan motor may generate will be immediately picked up by the sensor. Personally, I'd turn it around just to be safe, if you can, and still make it "aspirate" properly.

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #385 on: April 16, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »

the problem of the davis 7714 (that remain one of the best passive radiation shield in the word) is:

Solar radiation should not be understood only from top to bottom. Solar radiation is from all directions, indirect and direct. The plates of the Davis 7714 are affected not only from above and from the side, but also in their lower part.

Barani, who obviously has a recent project in Davis, understood this by taking advantage of the evidence and knowledge of those who preceded him.

And what did he do?

Practically, in addition to a very well-made helical screen that takes full advantage of the Venturi effect, the sensor has incorporated it into a completely dark room, which receives no light anywhere. In addition, the black parts well arranged along the whole screen internally, allow the screen to block the heat by diffusion and indirect radiation. It does not allow sunlight and heat to pass through it into the inner chamber. That's all...

Davis 7714 has too much space between the plates and lacks the black part. The fan gives the screen a little help, in my case, sometimes even counterproductive perhaps. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2020, 05:46:10 PM »
You're missing my point, nothing to do with the sun and solar insolation. I'm saying that any heat generated by the fan's motor is being "pushed" into the sensor chamber and "measured" by the sensor. All aspirated shields have the fan on top and air sucked in from the bottom so the air remains ambient, unaffected by any heat from the motor.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #387 on: April 16, 2020, 08:17:25 PM »
Yes all FARS draw air across sensor and exhaust out the top. The heat from fan, especially in cold weather, could be an issue otherwise. 

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #388 on: April 16, 2020, 08:28:15 PM »
What a great design. No wonder the VP2's 24hr shield is patented.

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #389 on: April 16, 2020, 11:20:17 PM »
Yes all FARS draw air across sensor and exhaust out the top. The heat from fan, especially in cold weather, could be an issue otherwise. 

With my fun Irrelevant.  There are not electronic parts exposed.

In Davis H24 fan sensor is into a tube...

In Davis 7714, the air get into the radiation Shield from every space..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:24:15 PM by annapurna88 »

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2020, 11:22:44 PM »
You're missing my point, nothing to do with the sun and solar insolation. I'm saying that any heat generated by the fan's motor is being "pushed" into the sensor chamber and "measured" by the sensor. All aspirated shields have the fan on top and air sucked in from the bottom so the air remains ambient, unaffected by any heat from the motor.

While, sucking in air from above, all the heat present in the plates and between the plates of the screen, heats the air that reaches the fan, heating the internal chamber.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #391 on: April 16, 2020, 11:46:50 PM »
Never mind.

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #392 on: April 16, 2020, 11:55:37 PM »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2020, 03:18:31 AM »
While, sucking in air from above, all the heat present in the plates and between the plates of the screen, heats the air that reaches the fan, heating the internal chamber.

It seems as if you're saying that as heat is removed from the shield it gets hotter, which kind of goes against the laws of thermodynamics.

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2020, 03:42:31 AM »

It seems as if you're saying that as heat is removed from the shield it gets hotter, which kind of goes against the laws of thermodynamics.

I believe it needs to take air from outside, that is from outside the screen, then let the air enter the inner chamber and then let it out.

We can do 3 tests:
 :arrow: davis 7714 with fan off
 :arrow: davis 7714 with fan that sucks air from outside
 :arrow: Davis 7714 with fun that takes air from the inner chamber and pushes it out

no problem for me

my goal is to share with you the difference between a Davis 7714 screen and a barani meteoshield pro screen

i want to say that for meIt is clear that the best screen that Davis produces is the 7714..no doubt
5-plate screens and 5-plate screens + daytime are all worse than 7714

Davis benefits to the rain gauge, to the PCBA that make shade on the screen. Otherwise, without this two part there would be embarrassing temperature overestimations.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:44:24 AM by annapurna88 »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
We can do 3 tests:
 :arrow: davis 7714 with fan off
 :arrow: davis 7714 with fan that sucks air from outside
 :arrow: Davis 7714 with fun that takes air from the inner chamber and pushes it out

2 - with fan that sucks air from outside - it sucks air from the outside and pushes the air in the chamber out, replacing the air in the chamber.

3 - with fan that takes air from the inner chamber and pushes it out - the air that is taken from the inner chamber is replaced by air from the outside.

So 2 and 3 are basically the same in that air in the shield is continually being replaced by air from the outside.  A fan pushes as well as pulls regardless of where it is placed.

So other than the points people like CW2274 have made, I really see no difference.  Besides heat being blown into the chamber from the fan if the fan is set to blow directly into it, there may be even a little more heat transfer from the fan if it is placed at the bottom of the shield as heat rises.  Unless you have a perfectly efficient and frictionless fan.

Offline annapurna88

« Reply #396 on: April 20, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »
waiting for the meteoshield pro...

here is the ventilated davis 774

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Dador

• Jejkowice
« Reply #397 on: April 22, 2020, 03:16:28 PM »
My today's comparison between Davis 7714 with no name thermometer (0,1C range), Davis daytime fan 12V with SHT31, deep deep shadow place with SHT30. Today was a clear day, cloudy weather and moderate wind. Davis radiation shields are all day in the sun, in the same place. The 24 hour fan didn't help much  :???:.

High       Low
7714                  16,6        -1,5
daytime              16,6        -1,2
deep shadow       16,1        -0,5       

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2020, 11:37:30 AM »
Quick update, i am still doing comparison of shields and have some interesting things going on and i am waiting for some longer runs to be sure it is a long time thing and not just a blip. Just to let you know how impressed i am with the new pro i have been running it on my main site for some time now and i have not found anything so far to want to use the fars even in calm to very low wind it is working great so far.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2020, 09:39:53 PM »
Another update, pro still working great and we finally got a day when it was sunny, hot temps in the low nineties and the wind went calm around noon time with some upticks of one to two mph but not for long. This went on for a couple of hours until the wind finally picked up after getting to the southeast which is the prevailing wind here. The pro did real well with only a few readings higher than the fars and the max i saw was .5 higher. Looking like the new pro is going to be a winner for passive shields.

anything