Author Topic: "jamming from unknown source" Or Station needs changing?  (Read 857 times)

Offline CoopH

"jamming from unknown source" Or Station needs changing?
« on: February 25, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »
It happened a few weeks ago, then disappeared. Phoned Davis Tech, suggested I change station number to 7. OK____I forgot, until yesterday, when display showed rain rate at a VAST number and the Daily rain at nearly 50". Rain stopped, changed the dip switches on ISS, 1,2 UP____inside tried to switch display to station 7____it did change__BUT after pressing Done, it defaulted back to Station 1. Clear Sunshiny day, until this morning, the display shows it was pouring rain, yet no rain, "jamming" ??

Of course Davis closed on weekends when most problems happen. Checked ISS___installed new, fresh battery, ( 3.2 V ) _____
Cannot keep the bloody station on # 7____?   

My unit, new May 2016, Vantage Pro2, Davis SHT31, firmware 2.5.
Any and all help will be rewarded and huge thank you!
Thank you all in advance.
CooperH     
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:01:38 PM by CoopH »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: "jamming from unknown source"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
Unlikely to be jamming/interference - that would tend to affect all readings. Much more likely that it's a rain gauge fault. Is it clean? Where are you? Is it cold enough for potential icing on the bucket stops?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CoopH

Re: "jamming from unknown source" Or Station needs changing?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
Hello John,

Temp 63 F, and think you are right, 'jamming' would affect other readings.

Later yesterday, at ISS removed cover, removed battery to change, unplugged all wires, made sure all connectors were clean, still occurring today.

Note: Suggestions to change station were from Davis tech, who was sure that would fix problem.   

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »
Temp 63F...

OK, well that would rule out icing. In general, crazy rainfall amounts/rates (and no other symptoms) will be down to one of 4 things:

1. A failing reed switch in the rain gauge (I know your station is fairly new, but you might just have been unlucky or maybe the gauge has had a bash?)
2. A little twig that's got stuck in the bucket mechanism or eg an insect nest, ie something mechanical that's causing the buckets to stick in roughly mid-tip.
3. Icing, as per my initial suggestion.
4. Moisture ingress into the socket where the cable from the rain gauge plugs in. This is possibly the most likely cause, especially if the front cover of the SIM compartment isn't on squarely and/or you've had a lot of torrential rain recently.

Of course, any of these things could be happening to a neighbour's Davis station if it's close enough for you to pick up the signal. So it's not a silly idea just to try switching to a different wireless channel.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 04:12:05 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CoopH

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »
John,
Thank you for replies.
1. 'failing reed switch is most likely I think____because__
2.  Today removed face-plate, solar-whatever ______and NO twigs,no dust, dirt, mud, Nothing___in fact I use canned-air for many things,
Sun was shiny and canned air blowing out anything that was there. Checked all contacts for rust, etc. and cleaned.
There was slight moisture inside solar cover, cleaned.
Yes, after "false rain" early yesterday, it did rain some 2 inches.
Now for the mystery of all_______the "false-rain" ___has happened within SAME time period, that days it occurs__rain or shine? !!
Will phone Davis tomorrow, and hopefully fixing, I'll post results back here.
Thank you so much for replies,
Coop

Offline CoopH

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Now Monday morning, and phoned Davis Tech. Changed Station in display, ( easy), outside changed ISS dips 1 & 2 __UP__
waited for display to sync____3 minutes, receiving fine, tech did phone back to confirm. Reminded me that ISS can transmit 1,000 FT.
ergo "offending signal"  could be out there in 360 direction, etc.
Tech reminded also  All  are shipped on station # 1 from factory, and phone back if problems in future.
Thanked him and John here for all help!
Cheers!

anything