Author Topic: Cumulus MX  (Read 9560 times)

Offline SpHwk

• John
    • Rincon Weather
Cumulus MX
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
I was going through an older thread (https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=24736.25) on MX and was wanting to find out from those that have been using it for a while how you like it.

It have been using version 1.9.4 - 1099 for a long time and have been very happy with it.  My issue is that it is currently running on old hardware and software due to a computer that went belly up. I have a windows 10 box I could run it on but hate to have a full tower running 24/7 just for this.

I am considering running MX on a Raspberry Pi 3.  How many of you are running this set up and how do you like it?
John

Davis Vantage Pro2 w/SHT 31
Cumulus ver 1.9.4 1099
CWOP: E8090
WU: KGARINCO12

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Cumulus MX
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I have a Mini-box computer running Windows 7 Pro with Cumulus MX on it. Total power consumption is about 10 watts.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
I run 1.9.4 (and always will) on a Dell Optiplex FX160 fanless mini PC with a 60 gig hard drive. It uses about 8 watts. I run it headless using Remote Desktop to access it with my main PC over the LAN and I can access it with my phone also. It's very small; about the size of a medium box of chocolates. It's been running for several years. Intel Atom processor. I bought it used for that specific purpose, very cheaply on eBay. Extremely durable and reliable and the smaller hard disk makes it more so. It came with Windows Vista Business Edition but could probably run Win 7 and certainly XP; good enough to keep Cumulus going. I use it only for Cumulus. Totally silent.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline SpHwk

• John
    • Rincon Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »
I have not looked into the mini box computers before but this or the Raspberry is what I am looking for.  Small, low power consumption, and headless.  I don't need another desktop or laptop sitting around.  As far as windows or Raspberry I could go either way, although I have been wanting to tinker with the Raspberry's for this and other projects.
John

Davis Vantage Pro2 w/SHT 31
Cumulus ver 1.9.4 1099
CWOP: E8090
WU: KGARINCO12

Offline McLouthWX

• Jefferson County Weather Live
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
I've been running CumulusMX on a Raspberry Pi 2 with Raspbian Jessie Lite for several months now.Seems to be very stable and uses very little electricity.
However, some of the features of Cumulus 1 have not been instrumented in MX yet. Also MX does not play well with all versions of Mono.
If you aren't confused, then you weren't paying attention.

Online bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:04:29 PM »

I am considering running MX on a Raspberry Pi 3.  How many of you are running this set up and how do you like it?

MX on a Pi is a very good setup. I did that for 12-15 months without any issues. If this is your 1st Pi setup/application, you will find a lot of online help to setup and get started.

Offline WB0VHB

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:53:09 PM »
I've been running MX on a Raspberry for a couple years without any issues at all. I do push my database out to a network drive to save wear and tear on the SD card.

It sure has saved my electric bill not running a big hungry desktop.

Offline neutronwrangler

• Mount Pleasant Weather
    • Mount Pleasant, Hoarwithy, Herefordshire, UK
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »
I've been running Cumulus MX for three years.

Initially I had regular trouble with it corrupting SD cards, so I moved CMX to a USB thumb drive and that fixed it.

I now have a Plusberry Pi box containing an RPi3 and 120GB SSD drive, and a Raspberry Pi camera captured once a minute.

The RPi3 is ideal in that you can get the boot sequence to skip the SD and go straight to the SSD
John Cooper
http://weather.mountpleasanthouse.uk/latest
Davis Vantage Vue with belfryboy datalogger feeding CumulusMX on RPi3

anything