Author Topic: Thermor dull display  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Kiwi

Thermor dull display
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:43:22 PM »
Hi,
Has anyone had problems with the display getting hard to read unless viewed from an extreme angle

The unit was purchased in August last year, all set up properly (I had had one before but it failed after about 2 years use) and in December last year I went to read it and the display appeared dim, so changed batteries in both sender & receiver  reset it all but still dim display, all the data was there but you had to read it from below the screen on an extreme angle.

I took it back to the store & they replaced it under warranty and all was going well until yesterday when the problem has come back again.

The batteries that were in the unit have been tested and were ok, but replaced anyway, also checked was the output from the power pack

This is mounted on a wall inside the house slightly above eye level and can be easily read when passing.

But today the screen display has gone dim again and can only be read on an extreme angle, once again I have changed the batteries in both units (put in Energizer batteries) and reset it no change.

Any suggestions
Cheers from down under in New Zealand

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Thermor dull display
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »
Hi kiwi,
  Welcome to the forum =D>.  There is a lot of knowledge here.  The only thing I can say is that if the data is all present and good, and your station is compatible, you might want to run software like Virtual Weather Station.  I don't like looking at my Oregon Scientific WMR968 display panel for several reasons. Thats how I found this forum.  I got the software for my station and it is light-years better.  I only look at the display once a day or so to make sure data has not dropped out which happens once or twice a week.  I am sure there maybe someone else who will have info directly related to the display being faint.  Good Luck!!!!   Mark
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:41:03 PM by Downlinerz2 »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:13:33 AM »
Hi Kiwi.
  Welcome!
  Strange that you had have the same problem with 2 different units. Do you have a voltmeter or multimeter to confirm your mains AC input to the console's power adapter? Not sure about New Zealand's power (120/220 50/60hz) but if it's lower than what it's supposed to be then the console's power adapter won't have enough ooomph to drive your display properly. I've seen a similar case of that here in Thailand. We're supposed to be 220V 50hz but I monitor the mains frequently and see it go down to 190V sometimes.
My computer UPS goes nuts.
Dan

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:27:07 AM »
do you have a link to this Themor station?
is it the one where there is no outdoor humidity (only indoor humidity)?
I dont think its a wmr968 like Downlinderz2 thought?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 03:04:23 AM »
I dont think its a wmr968 like Downlinderz2 thought?

GBW,
  I did not think it was a WMR968.  I should have made my point clear.  I was saying that if the data is intact on the display and the station is capable, that it might be worth getting software like VWS. 
   I don't know if this link is of any use.  It does show a Thermor station and gives a review.  Not sure how reliable it is.  The link is:
            www.home-weather-stations-guide.com
                                                                 Good Luck,
                                                                   Mark

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »
I dont think that station type is supported by VWS though
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:30:34 PM »
I dont think that station type is supported by VWS though

GBW,
   I think you are probably right.  On the website that reviewed the station it did not mention it being able to be hooked up to a computer.  I only gave it a quick read and might have missed it.
    It was just a thought.  Could not think of anything else.
                                    Mark 

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
it does have a usb connection,and does come with basic software , but its not a station that VWS supports as far as I am aware
Brian
info@weather-display.com