Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 188231 times)

Offline bigben089

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1800 on: April 02, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »
Without reading back through all the posts, what the heck happened to the old website? This new one is unfinished and should not be accessible. The table (summary of readings) is inaccurate. Switch it back NOW!

Dear bigben089, I am disappointed at the lack of tact and respect in what is your first-time post.

Had you bothered to read even part of this thread, you would quickly come to realise that the issues are well known; that the WU Team is working hard to fix the issues; and most importantly that the old site is still accessible - see Reply #1705 on p69, and read onwards.

Shouting (via capital letters) in a post is not helpful to the cause of having the WU Team resolve the issues.

[tup]

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #1801 on: April 02, 2019, 11:28:40 AM »
My Devices finally shows my CURRENT weather station being online. If you get no devices, you just need to refresh.
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1802 on: April 02, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
My Devices finally shows my CURRENT weather station being online. If you get no devices, you just need to refresh.

Yes they fixed that yesterday. But some stations that are offline now say online. I have a test station that is down (I'm not uploading) and yet it says that it is online. They know about this bug too and they are working on it.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1803 on: April 02, 2019, 12:51:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just checking in with you this week to let you know we're still here, still fixing, still listening.

And yes, that includes bringing rapid fire & decimals to our re-styled dashboard pages.

--Us

Wouldn't your company like to save a lot of time and money?  Instead of re-inventing the wheel as a flaccid pancake, close this project, move on to something that needs fixing, and leave the old site as it is.  Give everyone a link where we can leave glowing feedback for your bosses.  Everyone wins!!!  I can't imagine what the goal is here.    :???:    Please?
If you had been following this thread for the last few weeks an explanation as to why this can't be done was given.

Offline mdv

« Reply #1804 on: April 02, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »
I notice some progress with the forecast page on the new-style website, although there are still some bugs.
  • when navigating to the forecast main page or between any of the sub-pages for the various forecasts, I am presented with a corrupt page (wrong units of measurement, blank tables, or even a totally blank view). However, pressing CTRL + Refresh brings up a non-corrupted view for all components in the selected page
  • Forecast main page displays data in correct units of measurement (metric in my case) [tup] but the map does not display my PWS icon
  • The hourly forecast, displays correctly (without having to use CTRL + Refresh), but has the incorrect units of measurement - in my case imperial instead of metric. CTRL + Refresh does not correct this issue
  • The 10-day forecast, once displayed correctly after CTRL + Refresh, is exactly how it should be - just like the old style and with correct units of measurmeent [tup]

I have not tested the other tabs on the forecast page.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1805 on: April 02, 2019, 01:29:58 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just checking in with you this week to let you know we're still here, still fixing, still listening.

And yes, that includes bringing rapid fire & decimals to our re-styled dashboard pages.

--Us

Wouldn't your company like to save a lot of time and money?  Instead of re-inventing the wheel as a flaccid pancake, close this project, move on to something that needs fixing, and leave the old site as it is.  Give everyone a link where we can leave glowing feedback for your bosses.  Everyone wins!!!  I can't imagine what the goal is here.    :???:    Please?
If you had been following this thread for the last few weeks an explanation as to why this can't be done was given.

Weatheroger is correct. The details and explanation given by WU to move to new platform is simply that the old site had so many problems that it was necessary to move to a new non-legacy designed system so that it would make it viable to tackle the long standing issues. Not to mention the benefit from a management perspective to maintain the site with other future improvements.

Some of the long standing issues that were becoming difficult to fix are (Not all of them...just some off the top of my head):
  • Ability to delete historical bad data by the user in the data charts.
  • Better webcam support
  • Favorites not working
  • Overall reliability and speed of the site
  • Support for PM2.5 and other sensors
  • Modernization for increased trend in mobile use (although I think they got this wrong with the new UI)
  • Yellow Star Quality Control improvements
  • Fix map errors
  • ....and much more...

It was just a better investment to start fresh than to continue fixing old problems on an old system. To us the users we don't see the back end and all the legacy code and legacy hardware...so it seems trivial to fix what you see...but it isn't. The old system was ambitious. A number of features had to be cut because it wasn't able to handle the load of users with all those features or they became features that just wouldn't work with the old system. 2018 focused on cutting features and improving site reliability and speed (they succeeded - but we miss features like for example MADIS and airport stations are gone). There was a time in late 2017 and early 2018 where WU was all but useless with the old platform that was just retired, it was too many users and too many ambitious features. After cutting features and fixing little things, reliability and speed returned. But there is still plenty not working with the old site.

When you have an old car that is constantly breaking you finally need to trade it in for something new or newer as the better investment. Even if you can't have the car of your dreams, a working car is better than a broken car that is costing you more or impossible to maintain. Then you save up and improve that newer car or get a better car when times get better. Granted WU missed the ball and they bought an early Tesla (remember all the issues the Model S had when it launched? and now the Model 3 is having its issue too).

I'd say we can expect some usability issues to be fixed soon. Then I expect to see later this year features added back that were removed last year, and also to see new features that we have never had. Yep this isn't soon enough for many. Which is why I say don't put all your eggs in one basket. I report to 10 online weather services...they each give me some value and a different perspective on my data and it makes it so that I don't have to rely on just one service. Next time don't get the weather station that just relies on one service...or improve the one you have now and use other services (most decent stations can be made to report to other services).

I say WU has done a tremendous job listening to us. We've been told fixes are coming to the new UI that we miss from the old site, and I believe them. We have access for now to the old site, at least till the new site is functional. We should all be happy that much progress was done in 2018 and now it continues in 2019. So to say the site has been broken for over a year is not really fair, as it has improved tremendously and there have been changes. Sometimes companies make mistakes. Microsoft did it with Windows and people were upset, but it was fixed years later. Coca Cola did it with Coke and then they fixed it. There are countless examples. Let's continue to be civil as we progress on this journey. It is okay to complain (I've complained plenty), but there is a nice way and a not so nice way.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 01:56:47 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline tonyh

« Reply #1806 on: April 02, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
Sorry its an absolute joke this was put out there in the sorry state that its in! How can anyone have trust in WU anymore? My 'old style' site is working perfectly (WU staff on here said this was long dead and buried and seems they will be doing that before long inspite of its continued excellent functionality) yet the upgraded one states my max min and average today were all 7c for example!

Offline tonyh

« Reply #1807 on: April 02, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
Thank God I have CWOP to rely on once the old style is finally dispensed.

Offline Beech33

« Reply #1808 on: April 02, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
What am I doing wrong?
When I try to bring up my station on the old site using this link
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=kncocean13#history

Using Chrome I get a list view  :-(
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Beech33

« Reply #1809 on: April 02, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »
This link works for the old site:
http://www.wundgerground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCOCEAN13#history

I thought lowercase was required - oh well - it works good

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1810 on: April 02, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »
What am I doing wrong?
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=kncocean13#history

I just tried your link in both Chrome and Firefox and it displays correctly in both.

Offline vsakalis

« Reply #1811 on: April 02, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
I checked 10 day forecast now and it doesnt work properly...liquid precip is not displayed on the graph and no ability to print hourly forecast even in metric type. 5 6 days before they fixed it...but now same  bug

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #1812 on: April 02, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
I checked 10 day forecast now and it doesnt work properly...liquid precip is not displayed on the graph and no ability to print hourly forecast even in metric type. 5 6 days before they fixed it...but now same  bug

Thanks for reporting things like this.  Help us out by providing a link to the page you're looking at.  It's likely you're using 10day from the old pages.  Not all of these old page features are guaranteed to work.

Offline vsakalis

Offline vsakalis

« Reply #1814 on: April 02, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
precipitation is ok finally... houtly forecast is still prblm

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #1815 on: April 02, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
precipitation is ok finally... houtly forecast is still prblm

May just be a momentary thing... things look OK from my end.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1816 on: April 02, 2019, 05:56:48 PM »
What am I doing wrong?

I just tried your link in both Chrome and Firefox and it displays correctly in both.

Also #history isn't necessary for rapidfire to work.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=kncocean13

Randy

Offline Tangmu

« Reply #1817 on: April 02, 2019, 06:02:40 PM »
Well, I haven't followed the thread for the last few weeks, and you're not going to offer up a summary, so I'm out of luck.   :-(

Offline redeye64

« Reply #1818 on: April 02, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »
can't log in, try the reset your password link, and doesnt recognise my email address......

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1819 on: April 02, 2019, 06:42:44 PM »
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but is there a way to make this page work again?

https://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?station=KAZTUCSO192

Offline mdv

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1822 on: April 02, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
Randy

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #1823 on: April 02, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but is there a way to make this page work again?

https://www.wunderground.com/swf/Rapid_Fire.swf?station=KAZTUCSO192

That uses Flash.  Flash is something the internet is abandoning for internet standards.

You might be able to get your browser loaded up with the Flash player, but I kind of doubt wunderground is still feeding data to it.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1824 on: April 02, 2019, 07:02:01 PM »

anything