Author Topic: Like/Thanks Button  (Read 11454 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Like/Thanks Button
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »
 Guess it's a done deal but I've always subscribed to the mantra "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
The concept of a “Like” button in this Forum reduces the content value from what I thought this Forum is all about in the first place—discussion from folks looking for helpful tips from other, more knowledgeable folks—not because of IQ, but owning a pws and using it properly has a learning curve—not steep but for retired CPAs like me, it was a challenge and in certain respects, it still is. I have learned a lot over the years in this Forum and hope in return I have helped some fellow Forum posters as well. The addition of the “Like” feature cheapens the feel of this Forum. As another poster stated, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:30:02 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
Guess it's a done deal but I've always subscribed to the mantra "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Far from a done deal, its trial to see how it goes,

^^^  That's as good a reason as any NOT to have if.  Moderating a board should be about the rules of the board, not the popularity of a post or the poster.  If a Moderator is basing decisions on popularity, they should be removed from that position.

Really, thats what you got from his comment?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
OK so it is now implemented. I think though that if used, it should be used to like topics, not posts. Not many people read too far behind and see which posts were popular. Instead there are not that many topics and those could have "likes" to see which ones are most popular.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm noticing that I can use the Like function kind of like a bookmark feature. If I like someone else's post I can go to my profile and see the posts that I've "Liked." So if you ever need to refer to the awesome post with some great information this is another way of finding it again....because sometimes search doesn't work so well.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2019, 04:02:11 AM »
I personally don't see much use of the new like feature. It adds unnecessary (de)valuation of member posts. But that's just me.

In any case, would it be possible to make it less prominent? It's very obtrusive, doesn't fit the overall site design at all, IMO. A simple link-style button like the rest of the functions below the posts to the right would fit the experience better, I think. Maybe putting it to the left so it's easier to distinguish and notice, would be sufficient for everyone who wants to use it.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2019, 05:12:54 AM »
That's easily done, just change the link colour then it will blend in better.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2019, 01:28:38 PM »
The like buttons use "like_link" class. Setting a different color and design to "like_link" class and adding the word "!important" would override any other CSS styles and display the like button in a style that fits this page

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2019, 01:38:21 PM »
The like buttons use "like_link" class. Setting a different color and design to "like_link" class and adding the word "!important" would override any other CSS styles and display the like button in a style that fits this page

I don't think the technical knowledge is missing for the site maintainers...

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
Is it over yet?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »
Count me as one who doesn't care for the "like".

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »
Count me as one who doesn't care for the "like".
I "liked" your post. :grin:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2019, 07:06:10 PM »
Ahh, the irony.  It's been since Feb 18,2019 that the mod to have 'Like' has been active.  So far, the ones who disliked it at the start remain disliking it.  Others have 'liked' it from the start and continue using it.

I suggest that those who dislike the feature, continue to ignore/not use it.  Those who find it attractive can continue using it.

I don't see it as one of life's biggies and do not consider it a thing to get overly concerned about.

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »
I suggest that those who dislike the feature, continue to ignore/not use it.  Those who find it attractive can continue using it.

I don't see it as one of life's biggies and do not consider it a thing to get overly concerned about.
I agree. I think it's a useful feature that adds value to the forum. Thanks for giving it a try and keeping it active!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 08:34:49 PM »

I agree. I think it's a useful feature that adds value to the forum. Thanks for giving it a try and keeping it active!

Useful as a 3 dollar bill!😴
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 09:40:32 PM »
My only problem with the Like feature is that there is a delay in it popping up as the page loads and often when you are using a specific thread message link or catching up on unreads it then slightly loads the page offset from the exact message mark. I'm saying that because the feature exists it changes how every page loads regardless if you are or aren't using the Like feature. Page loads didn't have this strange behavior before.

I still value the feature even with this slight annoyance.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:59:29 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »
I have not noticed anything of the same, pages load instantly and as they should, i am using a HP lappy with an i7, 16gb, dual graphics and dual hdd's one being an SSD, so that could be why i dont see anything untoward?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »
I consider it childish and I feel it harms the integrity of the board.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2019, 02:53:00 AM »
It's been running long enough now and nothing has been harmed that I've noticed?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2019, 05:09:10 AM »
I'm on a cellphone mostly and I haven't see any delay at all in the like button or anything else loading.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2019, 06:36:24 AM »
Is it over yet?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2020, 07:48:08 AM »
And adding it on this forum is not sensible (IMHO).

I'm guessing Mr. 859 feels otherwise.