Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 Console CALFIX bug?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline robertgbtx

Vantage Pro2 Console CALFIX bug?
« on: October 04, 2022, 05:18:03 PM »
I've been trying to implement CALED/CALFIX commands on the console w/datalogger without success and now I'm thinking there's a bug in the console's firmware (version 3.88).

These two commands update the console's display immediately when changing sensor calibration values. I won't go into further detail on how it works since any response to this post will be from users that already know how it works.

So when I request a packet using CALED, modify any sensor value, then send it back with CALFIX, the display updates immediately as expected. However, whatever had been the value of the temp-out field in the packet is applied to temp-extra1 as well. Doing this cycle again results in the same thing except the now bogus value in temp-extra1 has been shifted to temp-extra2. If I continue issuing CALED/CALFIX commands, then all extra, leaf, and soil temperature fields have this bogus data shifted into them.

Another side effect of this is the bogus extra, leaf, and soil temperature readings become included in loop data despite there being no extra sensors on my system. The readings never change. Only way to clear this all out is to pull the batteries and external power from the console.

I've checked and rechecked my C code and have verified the associated USB traffic is correct (thank goodness for Wireshark). I took a look at weewx and wview to see how they did this. They don't use CALED/CALFIX. They just change the EEPROM calibration values. This works but you won't see the display updated until a new sample is taken. I want it updated NOW  8-)

In the off chance that anyone else has encountered this behavior, were you able to work around it?
SYS: Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless & Weather Envoy since 2007
SW:  Custom Python package running on Raspberry Pi 3B
CWOP: AS993
WU: KTXGRANB88 (deleted)

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
Re: Vantage Pro2 Console CALFIX bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 02:34:58 PM »
Sounds like a good question for Davis support.  They're nice people.  Ask them.

The bogus/extra sensor readings you mention are a known thing some of us reported on the weewx-users google group some months ago.
https://groups.google.com/g/weewx-user/c/BbOKMsyUUBo has some details.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 05:58:31 PM »
Sounds like a good question for Davis support.  They're nice people.  Ask them.

Perfect answer. Since you apparently reside in the US, call them—do not use email—-too slow. I have used Davis telephone support numerous times over the years, and they are knowledgeable and very helpful—they know the product backwards and forwards—as they should being in customer support! That said, several posters in this Forum who live outside the US don’t have that view because they effectively must use email and such posters complain of poor response time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:05:25 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 08:38:40 PM »
That said, several posters in this Forum who live outside the US don’t have that view because they effectively must use email and such posters complain of poor response time.

Might be nice if there is a real need and the email delay is bad, perhaps one of us Davis owners could serve as a relay. The non-us owner could email their question/s to someone here who would volunteer to call Davis, take detailed notes and then respond in email. Just a wild thought...

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 10:03:49 PM »
That said, several posters in this Forum who live outside the US don’t have that view because they effectively must use email and such posters complain of poor response time.

Might be nice if there is a real need and the email delay is bad, perhaps one of us Davis owners could serve as a relay. The non-us owner could email their question/s to someone here who would volunteer to call Davis, take detailed notes and then respond in email. Just a wild thought...

I would help as would many others, but I think this suggestion is totally impractical for numerous reasons. For example, a complex issue requires multiple exchanges of information—real time, not email delayed time. “Us” being “middlemen” likely won’t be perceived well by Davis either, understandably so.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:40:07 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline robertgbtx

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 04:08:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion about contacting Davis support. For now, I've pulled the code that uses CALFIX. I'll need to put it back when talking to them in case they need more tech information. I'll update when that happens.
SYS: Vantage Pro2 Plus Wireless & Weather Envoy since 2007
SW:  Custom Python package running on Raspberry Pi 3B
CWOP: AS993
WU: KTXGRANB88 (deleted)