Author Topic: Odd Problem on main page  (Read 782 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Odd Problem on main page
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:39:38 PM »
I have been fighting this problem since early January and have not been able to beat it thus far.
The problem is my greeting display is not working and it gets better. When the page is first loaded it briefly shows the data from the last time the greeting worked.

All this started when I had to replace the hard drive in my computer and in the process of doing so, I decided to update a bit and go from XP the WIN 7. All this required building from scratch with a new motherboard and all. After all, was installed and Weather Display was installed again using the backup procedure which failed is where all the fun begins. I Was able to get the settings from the old HDD using lots of time :) Anyway, I have apparently missed something but I have gone over the setup many, many times. I'm open to any suggestions. It shows up when the page is loaded https://www.smythweather.net   Thanks for any help with this.

Wt

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline cirrus

• Kevin Hough
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
    • Gorge-East Weather
Re: Odd Problem on main page
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:49:10 AM »
By greeting display, do you mean "Good Evening" and then the date? Those are updated by testtags.php....have you got your testtags.txt set to update and upload?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:58:14 AM by cirrus »
Regards, --Kevin

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:54:45 AM »
Yes that is what I am referring to. As far as I know testtags should be updating because the rest of the parameters update normally. The really odd thing is that it shows 34 degrees which was the temperature at the time the drive crashed and couldn't be recovered, easily anyway. In fact all the station are from that time. Once the page updates and shows the correct info and time everything is fine except the greeting.  Sort of makes me wonder about a cache issue but I've cleared cache and switched DNS servers a few times since then. I'm plain puzzled don't make much sense.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 03:01:13 AM »
I have been fighting this problem since early January and have not been able to beat it thus far.
The problem is my greeting display is not working and it gets better. When the page is first loaded it briefly shows the data from the last time the greeting worked.

All this started when I had to replace the hard drive in my computer and in the process of doing so, I decided to update a bit and go from XP the WIN 7. All this required building from scratch with a new motherboard and all. After all, was installed and Weather Display was installed again using the backup procedure which failed is where all the fun begins. I Was able to get the settings from the old HDD using lots of time :) Anyway, I have apparently missed something but I have gone over the setup many, many times. I'm open to any suggestions. It shows up when the page is loaded https://www.smythweather.net   Thanks for any help with this.

Wt
testtags.php :The contents or the file itself  is old, from Jan 6, 2019
https://www.smythweather.net/testtags.php?sce=view
The website-scripts first display the data from testtags.php which is the old data.
The correct data comes a few seconds later from javascript which uses clientraw data to update the realtime values only.

Probable causes you should check on your PC:
1. WD is generating a testtags.php but not uploading it, 20% chance
2. WD is generating and uploading but the testtags.txt is invalid, it contains data not tags,  70% chance
3. WD is not allowed to upload the new testtags.php because of permissions on the server, 9%
4. Other ??

Also: some key scripts which are used to find and inspect are missing (wxstatus.php) or  old (check-fetch-times.php)
F.i. I can see the contents of the testtags.php using sce=view
But if wxstatus.php was available, you yourself and people who try to help you, can inspect the timestamp of the file to check when it is uploaded.

Success, Wim

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 04:30:13 AM »
Sounds totally the case ! I probably missed that in the re setup of WD .   Do you happen to know right off where that would be?  I looked in the internet creation tab but didn't see any options for testags.. I will dig further :)

I found it and can see how I missed it originally!  Think I'll take some screen shots this time and file them away in the event something like this happens again.

Thank You very much for you assistance! 

Wayne
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:36:29 AM by W Thomas »

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

anything