Author Topic: Will be away from home for 9+ weeks - How to I keep my VP2 running unattended?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Cheap SD cards simply don't cut it for this type of mini server application, good SLC cards will cost around $25/Gb
I would caution you about cheap SD cards - they are unreliable.  Which is why the Nano SD has a strict list of industrial-strength cards it will accept.

I didn't know such was possible!
As a matter of fact, just last night Win10 had an update, I went to bed, woke up and WL was strumming along, as always.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Depends on the laptop.  Some will not restart after power drop.  Your BIOS needs to be checked.
Wouldn't know. All I've owned are Dell's.

Offline gtstricky

• Kennett Weather
Raspberry Pi with Weewx on it should work.
You could also get the wifi logger and FTP data to yourself somewhere. https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/wifilogger/

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
My PC is indeed a laptop. Would it be possible to use a Raspberry Pi (or other device) to store data from the console's datalogger?
Absolutely! Run weewx on a Pi and it will happily store all your data. You should leave it on a UPS, but a standard small PC UPS will run a Pi longer than any likely power outage in the first world.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
My PC is indeed a laptop. Would it be possible to use a Raspberry Pi (or other device) to store data from the console's datalogger?

More simply, just leave your laptop running.  It will do fine, and has it's own "UPS" (internal battery) in case the power goes out for a few hours.  I'm assuming your VP2 console has good batteries for backup and is normally using the AC supply.

If you are really really really worried - change the archive interval to something that will last for 9+ weeks, even if everything else dies. 

Oh, but what if the ISS dies.........

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Unless it is a recent model laptop, NFW will the batteries last for more than a few hours.  BTDT.  My new Lenovo will go 12 hrs; longest outage in my remote location is 19 hours.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Unless it is a recent model laptop, NFW will the batteries last for more than a few hours.  BTDT.  My new Lenovo will go 12 hrs; longest outage in my remote location is 19 hours.

Yes, of course.  There are always risks. 

The original author (reg1992) hasn't been around for over 3 days, so this discussion is probably .................

anything