Author Topic: Davis VP2 yearly anemometer failure, suggestions?  (Read 410 times)

Offline gsfarm

• gsfarm weather
  • Farm weather
    • gsfarm weather web site
Davis VP2 yearly anemometer failure, suggestions?
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:13:31 PM »
I see my anemometer is locked up again (not turning) in 30km winds this am, so I guess it's time to plan another adventure up the tower and pull the assembly down once again. Luckily I do have a spare anemometer from my original VP I can install while the newer one is repaired. Not a task I look forward to! :(

This unit has failed every year I have had it installed. New bearing kit fixes it for the year, then when it gets cold out once again it ceases up. Is there an improved version of this anemometer unit? The old VP design has last for many years...

We do get a lot of wind here, often in the 50-70KPH + range for days sometimes, and in the winter it gets into the -40 range (not considering windchill!) Maybe these bearings just wear out?
-G.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis VP2 yearly anemometer failure, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »
That is some extreme weather you get where you are at. A lot of lubricants fail at such low temperatures and contribute to bearing failure. Perhaps there is a special lubricant that you can use in your extreme environment to improve your situation. See this for related information:
http://evolution.skf.com/us/low-temperatures/

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gsfarm

• gsfarm weather
  • Farm weather
    • gsfarm weather web site
Re: Davis VP2 yearly anemometer failure, suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 08:31:50 PM »
@galfert, thanx for your reply. Agreed the bearing lube is not dealing with the temperature range and load here. Problem is those tiny bearings come pre-packed and pre-installed. Maybe once I have the unit on the ground I should look for better replacment bearings rather than what Davis supplies, if there is a number on the inner/outer race or seal; or maybe just measure it. Think there is only one bearing.