Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109200 times)

Offline redlynr

is it range from ISS to WFL or WFL to Router?  I did install firmware 1.19

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
WFL to Router.
Generally this WiFi chip has very good range, but not in N mode.

You need to navigate to SETUP|NETWORK INFO and check RSSI parameter. If it's less than -50 - -60 dBm. Please switch to G mode.
You have to reboot WFL. This parameter can be setup on startup only.

Offline redlynr

I just called my wife who moved the console right next to the router, but Linksys is still showing as offline.  I wonder if when it disconnects, maybe it has to be reset?  Anyway, I’ll try when I get home. Thanks.

I’m a little new to your terminology - for rebooting, is it just power down, or do any of the buttons need to be pushed?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
You can use white button on WFL, or SETUP|SYSTEM click on RESTART button.

Offline redlynr

I’ll have to play tonight, not sounding good so far.

I walled my daughter through:
(1) SETUP/SYSTEM/RESET - didnt work since WFL not connected
(2) Hit white button, then try (1) - still not connected
(3) power down /power up, then try (1) - still not connected

Maybe I need to restablish wifi connection with my phone? 

Offline redlynr

I’ll have to play tonight, not sounding good so far.

I walked my daughter through:
(1) SETUP/SYSTEM/RESET - didnt work since WFL not connected
(2) Hit white button, then try (1) - still not connected
(3) power down /power up, then try (1) - still not connected

Maybe I need to restablish wifi connection with my phone?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Check also router. Reboot router as well.

Offline redlynr

thanks for your help, I was able to restart my router remotely, and I saw that WFL connected immediately.  I don’t see updates yet, I may need to reset WFL later.  So I think things will be OK.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
No, that can be start of our problem.
If it will happen again. You can set manual IP number on WFL. You can change WiFi mode to G or B.
You can make some changes in router WiFi configuration.
Then if it will happen again I don't know the answer.

Offline redlynr

after my router restart, uploads to PWS began immediately every minute.  But nothing to WU, so maybe I need to make the adjustments and restart everything.

Offline redlynr

after resetting my router again, re-connecting WFL Wifi to my phone & following setup procedures.  Both PWS and WU are updating again.   I read earlier in this thread about a "1969 problem".  I believe this occurred to me as I believe that WU said it was last updated in 1969.

Could a temporary internet outage cause this?  I noticed that the IP address for the WFL page changed.   

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I believe that there is an issue called 1969. Problem is that I have secure firmware to prevent such situation.
WFL is synchronizing time with NTP time. NTP time is a number of seconds from 1970. Time from NTP has condition that has to be bigger than year 2017.

I will follow this program again and again and check what can be wrong.

This year 1969 is set on the console?

Offline redlynr

I didn’t see it in the console, just in the WU web page.
Now that things are working again, I can’t see it.

Offline redlynr

Being new to this hobby, I was wondering if someone could provide instructions how to set up Cumulus to work with WiFiLogger on a PC?   It sounds like maybe I need to go into WFL Archive Records Export and set up an FTP server? 

Thanks.

Keith

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Setting Cumulus to Type TCP/IP should allow connection.
I have not tried WiFiLogger with Cumulus1 but it should work the same and better than with CumulusMX

I have attached my settings in CumulusMX.  I have had some Cumulus disconnect issues but recently it has run for days before Cumulus crashes (also using all the WFiLogger upload features at the same time).  The crashes are mostly when there is some interruption in accessing the router, and I have now also stopped having the WiFiLogger Real Time open and that has helped.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
Something else I noticed (And its a good thing  :grin:) is that now WU reports wind speeds other than calm or 0 all the time.
Before, when WLIP uploaded to WU, it was wind speed at that very moment. So most uploads (<90%) showed calm wind.
The option in WiFiLogger 'Data Export Setup' for CWOP asks for type of wind speed to report. I don't know how or why this would effect WU but since I set it to '2-Min Avg Wind Speed',  CWOP AND WU seem to report the 2 minute average. Maybe I'm interpreting this wrong, but either way, I'm not complaining.

Offline redlynr

Thanks for the setup info, this works well - but does it have to be actively running 24/7?   

Also, I'm confused about the WFL "Data Export Setup", what does this allow me to do?

Thanks - just trying to figure out all of the new functionality here.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
but does it have to be actively running 24/7?
No, and Cumulus should update the logger data since last running.

the WFL "Data Export Setup", what does this allow me to do?
It will FTP the logger data to your webserver in the path/file specified
Date,Time,Temp Units,Bar Units,Wind Units,Rain Units,Temp Out,Hi Temp,Low Temp,Rain,Rain Rate,BAR,Solar
2018/07/29,13:00,C,hPa,km/h,mm,22.2,22.3,22.2,0.0,0.0,1019.9,189,26.7,52,65,8.0,14.5,SSW,S,1.4,14,190,1.4
2018/07/29,13:05,C,hPa,km/h,mm,21.2,21.2,21.2,0.0,0.0,1020.1,190,26.7,51,63,11.3,14.5,SSW,S,1.4,---,190,1.4
2018/07/29,13:10,C,hPa,km/h,mm,20.4,20.8,20.4,0.0,0.0,1020.0,79,26.8,49,64,4.8,8.0,SW,SSW,0.0,---,100,0.0
2018/07/29,13:15,C,hPa,km/h,mm,20.0,20.4,20.0,0.0,0.0,1020.1,67,26.6,49,68,8.0,22.5,S,S,0.5,---,77,0.5
2018/07/29,13:20,C,hPa,km/h,mm,19.9,19.9,19.9,0.0,0.0,1020.3,93,26.6,49,68,4.8,9.7,S,S,0.7,---,93,0.7
2018/07/29,13:25,C,hPa,km/h,mm,19.4,19.7,19.4,0.0,0.0,1020.1,93,26.7,49,71,4.8,8.0,S,WSW,0.7,---,93,0.7
2018/07/29,13:30,C,hPa,km/h,mm,19.4,19.5,19.4,0.0,0.0,1020.5,102,26.6,49,71,1.6,4.8,NNE,SW,0.5,---,125,1.0
2018/07/29,13:35,C,hPa,km/h,mm,19.4,19.4,19.4,0.0,0.0,1020.7,65,26.6,49,72,0.0,1.6,S,S,0.0,---,65,0.0

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline redlynr

Thanks for your help everyone, but I'm not done learning yet  ;)

I've successfully enabled Cumulus to set up my website with it's template:  http://actulife.com/weather/  but I notice that I need to clear my cache in order to get it to update.   It's not like WU where I can just sit there and watch the update every minute.

But are you saying that if I enter the FTP info into WiFiLogger, the file in the format you indicated will update.  I presume this won't replace the Cumulus data?  Is there a website template available that will read the format that WFL is uploading?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Very good.
The standard Cumulus template needs to be manual refresh to show current data.  I know there is code that can be added to do that but don't know myself how, sorry.

The Saratoga template does update data at realtime interval.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline redlynr

I want to try the Saratoga template, but I believe I need to figure out the "archive export" feature of WFL first.  Attached is my screenshot, but I don't see any files getting uploaded by WFL.

My ftp username of MillbridgeWeather@actulife.com is set up to upload files to http://www.actulife.com/public_html/MillbridgeWeather/

So am I correct that the "full path" should be:  http://www.actulife.com/public_html/MillbridgeWeather/?  Originally I had the full path at "/" which was the default, but that didn't help either.

Also, if is it recommended to leave the "number of days" at 7?

I was expecting the "Archive Export" to work automatically just like the "data export".  But maybe it has to be done manually using the "Archive Data" menu?  I can't find any documentation on either of these in the user manual.

Thanks!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
The Saratoga template can be used with Cumulus and are alternate to the standard Cumulus template.  Cumulus would update the appropriate files for the Saratoga template to update.  This would pretty well need running PC 24/7.

I am sure some of the smart people here could do something with the WiFiLogger FTP upload data,  but beyond me.

For your FTP I think you can drop the http://www.actulie.com/ but would need to add the file name you want to use.

I've only been able to update 5 days of data.  It does automatically upload at my 5 minute interval (and overwrites the file), and just to have the data in the event I ever would want to use.  I do have to manually rename the file every 5 days.  Again, most likely much better ways to do that.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline mikehumph

I fitted the WiFiLogger to my Davis Vantage Vue today but I have not been able to read any weather data from it.  The WiFi connection appears to be working fine; I can successfully read the "Weather Station Settings" page and it reads back (for example) the latitude and longitude and altitude settings previously entered into the console and I can use the "Send Command" function e.g. to turn the backlight on and off, so the communication to the unit is definitely working.  However there is no data in any of the fields of the "Real Time Data" page.  I have already updated the WiFiLogger to firmware version 1.19 and the Vantage Vue is already running version 3.00 firmware.  (See attached screenshots.)

Updated 31st Jul 2018:  The logger is sending weather data to Wunderground.com but the local "Real Time Data" screen remains blank (as per screenshot attached).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:07:53 PM by mikehumph »

Offline redlynr

I want to try the Saratoga template, but I believe I need to figure out the "archive export" feature of WFL first.  Attached is my screenshot, but I don't see any files getting uploaded by WFL.

My ftp username of MillbridgeWeather@actulife.com is set up to upload files to http://www.actulife.com/public_html/MillbridgeWeather/

So am I correct that the "full path" should be:  http://www.actulife.com/public_html/MillbridgeWeather/?  Originally I had the full path at "/" which was the default, but that didn't help either.

Also, if is it recommended to leave the "number of days" at 7?

I was expecting the "Archive Export" to work automatically just like the "data export".  But maybe it has to be done manually using the "Archive Data" menu?  I can't find any documentation on either of these in the user manual.

Thanks!
OK - figured it out.  The full path should just be a file name prefaced by a slash, e.g.  "/data.txt"

Offline redlynr

I initially was doing 1 minute intervals - definitely no good since due to the overlaying, I wasn't able to download a complete file.  Changing the interval to 5 minutes deletes everything, but at it least it let me see a "complete" file.   This could be useful data, but it's missing the all important dew point calculation.  Interesting stuff, though.

anything