Author Topic: Davis VantagePro2 wireless -> cable?  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: Davis VantagePro2 wireless -> cable?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
 -40Cor F is the same the 2 scales cross over at that point

As to budget well i work about 60 days or less an year Mr Texas and I can write an check to pay for my toys. Like I say you get what you pay for. Just remember the plane you ride on is made by the lowest bidder like so much stuff is now days  and thats farmed out to many other low bidders.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 05:06:59 AM »
I read somewhere on the forum that the rj connector is used to update the software on the iss.

I believe that was reasonable speculation, but unconfirmed.  

But "nobody" has used it to connect a cabled console to a wireless ISS.

I have used it to connect the ISS to the the console. But you have to fit an RS-422 transciever chip (max3485CSA or similar) in the U91 position on the ISS board. It works very well, and doesn't seem to affect the wireless function. The reason I did this was because I had a spare cabled console, but no cabled ISS and needed to test the ISS board that I did have. I'm not sure that you could use the conector to re-flash the firmware though since the transceiver chip is set in transmit mode. I eventually got my hands on a wireless envoy, flashed the firmware to "console" , replaced the board and now I have a functional wireless Vantage pro again.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »
I read somewhere on the forum that the rj connector is used to update the software on the iss.

I believe that was reasonable speculation, but unconfirmed.  

But "nobody" has used it to connect a cabled console to a wireless ISS.

I have used it to connect the ISS to the the console. But you have to fit an RS-422 transciever chip (max3485CSA or similar) in the U91 position on the ISS board. It works very well, and doesn't seem to affect the wireless function. The reason I did this was because I had a spare cabled console, but no cabled ISS and needed to test the ISS board that I did have. I'm not sure that you could use the conector to re-flash the firmware though since the transceiver chip is set in transmit mode. I eventually got my hands on a wireless envoy, flashed the firmware to "console" , replaced the board and now I have a functional wireless Vantage pro again.

Thanks for the corrections and the technical information on exactly how to do it.  Information from someone who has actually done it is very valuable.