Weather Software > What Weather Software should I use/buy?

Rephrasing to simplify

(1/4) > >>

Ahill:
Sorry i was getting a bit confused with everything so i am simplifying my question i think lol.

Let me narrow this down if i may.
I want to have two systems for now, the ambient and davis vp2
I want my data to be displayed on a console, my phone and pc.
I want to save as much data as possible and be able to look back at certain things at certain times.
I don’t necessarily need both going to cwop, wu, etc. i will choose which one for that.
I don’t want to set up a Rpi as of right now and don’t want my pc running 24/7.

1. Do i even need additional hardware and software for what i want to do ? If so,
2. What hardware is needed? Choices
3. What software is needed ? Choices

Note.
My ambient system currently does everything but the ambient network limits the frequency the data is saved and deletes it after one year.
I want to archive everything and keep it forever.

4.I have no idea how the Davis system does everything as far as viewing, sending, and storing data. is it similar to what ambient does?
5.For the vp2, questions 1,2,3 ?

Thanks for any help

johnd:
TBH I don't think anyone can decide for you as to exactly what you want or need. Running your own local software like CumulusMX is always likely to provide maximum features and flexibility. But it's also going to need more input from you to set it up and keep an eye on how it's running. Conversely, a modern console like the 6313 VP2 console (which you would automatically get with a new VP2 stations) will provide more limited features, but may do all you need, more so if you allow it to upload to the weatherlink.com cloud and especially if you upgrade to the annual Pro subscription so that you can view all your historical data online. But it will never be as fully-featured as running local software. Will it do all you need? Can you live with the limited compromises in data handling that you may need to make if only using a console? Only you can take that decision. :-)

There's plenty of information online as to what different solutions can provide. Here's a Davis promo video about the 6313 console for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdklOya_p-0

or for a more detailed look at basic 6313 configuration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xidr-jUqFGo

But remember that the 6313 console cannot accept a logger and so cannot connect directly to lcaol software.

Ahill:

--- Quote from: johnd on March 17, 2024, 11:06:31 AM ---TBH I don't think anyone can decide for you as to exactly what you want or need.

But remember that the 6313 console cannot accept a logger and so cannot connect directly to lcaol software.

--- End quote ---

Thanks.
But im not asking anyone to decide what i want. I listed what i want but was needing help in what i need to do what i want if that makes sense as i don’t currently know what all the hardware and software does and is capable of.
For example the stock hardware that comes with the systems might be enough but as i explained with the ambient it doesn’t record enough or long enough
Thanks

johnd:
Yes, but my point is that you need to be more specific in what you are asking about. Your listed requirements are too general at present and many different weather station solutions will meet your current list.

So, the simplest solution is perhaps just to use a VP2 6313 console uploading to a free account at weatherlink.com and not using any additional computer or software at all. But although this will meet all your listed requirements in general, there may be details where you want more.

for example, a free account at weatherlink.com can only forward data to CWOP, WU and WOW at present, and with a minimum interval of every 15 minutes. Is that OK for you or not? Do you want to be able to access your historical data online? In which case you will need a Pro subscription. Is that acceptable or not? Maybe you want to do more detailed data analysis than the console currently provides? etc...

davidmc36:
It sounds like Data Storage is very important to you.

Cumulus MX on RPi Zero W with MeteoPi Logger will allow lots of data storage (use large SD Card), local network viewing on your PC and phone ( expandable to WAN access), and do it all with no ongoing costs to store data.

WAN access could be done "In House" with proper security protocols, or for a modest cost, hosted at a sever. The Cumulus software simply sends data to your host:

https://www.morewoodweather.ca/CumulusMX/gauges.htm

Hmmmmm. On review. It's not so easy if all you have is 6313 console. Can you purchase with older style still?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version