Author Topic: PWS for cottage garden  (Read 1036 times)

Offline WeeK00

PWS for cottage garden
« on: January 03, 2023, 06:35:09 AM »
I'm planning to build a new weather station at my "garden"/cottage. I'd like to know the indoor temperature of my cottage, especially winter time, compare current & annual weather between cottage and home, and also get information of soil temperature (I grow some vegetables there).

- Electricity is available
- No need of console, because...
- ... all the data, including extra sensors, must be available on the internet. Either to a some pws-service that supports extra sensors, or csv/txt -file with FTP to my server.
- Outdoor temp & humidity. With good radiation shield & fan, but I can build those by myself as well  ;)
- 2 x indoor temp sensor, preferred the models with minimum is -5...-10 C (= 23...14 F). Many models only reach 0 C (32 F)...
- Wind velocity & direction
- Rain gauge, but not need to be heated
- Soil temperature (& humidity)
- Light intensity and/or solar radiation sensor would be good as well
- Wireless connection from sensor to indoor where is console or computer
- Should be available in Europe, or so reasonable price that it make sense to import from the USA/China/UK...
- It is not necessary to raise anemometer any higher than other sensors. So anemometer, outdoor temp, and rain gauge (and solar) they all can be integrated together. It also doesn't hurt if they are separate however.

My current weather station is Bresser 5-in-1 Wifi (7002585)-model, would be almost ideal, but it doesn't send extra sensor data on the internet! This cost just 160 Euros, not only reasonable but a really cheap device. Still enough good quality for me.
Davis Pro2 is too expensive (more than 1 000 euros with Internet functions).

Reasonable price would be 500..800 euros. Not sure if I can get those things at this price though

Any ideas?

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
Re: PWS for cottage garden
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 07:04:06 AM »
I'm planning to build a new weather station at my "garden"/cottage. I'd like to know the indoor temperature of my cottage, especially winter time, compare current & annual weather between cottage and home, and also get information of soil temperature (I grow some vegetables there).

- Electricity is available
- No need of console, because...
- ... all the data, including extra sensors, must be available on the internet. Either to a some pws-service that supports extra sensors, or csv/txt -file with FTP to my server.
- Outdoor temp & humidity. With good radiation shield & fan, but I can build those by myself as well  ;)
- 2 x indoor temp sensor, preferred the models with minimum is -5...-10 C (= 23...14 F). Many models only reach 0 C (32 F)...
- Wind velocity & direction
- Rain gauge, but not need to be heated
- Soil temperature (& humidity)
- Light intensity and/or solar radiation sensor would be good as well
- Wireless connection from sensor to indoor where is console or computer
- Should be available in Europe, or so reasonable price that it make sense to import from the USA/China/UK...
- It is not necessary to raise anemometer any higher than other sensors. So anemometer, outdoor temp, and rain gauge (and solar) they all can be integrated together. It also doesn't hurt if they are separate however.

My current weather station is Bresser 5-in-1 Wifi (7002585)-model, would be almost ideal, but it doesn't send extra sensor data on the internet! This cost just 160 Euros, not only reasonable but a really cheap device. Still enough good quality for me.
Davis Pro2 is too expensive (more than 1 000 euros with Internet functions).

Reasonable price would be 500..800 euros. Not sure if I can get those things at this price though

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like you need a 7 in 1 without a display console.
This will work for your requirements.

https://shop.ecowitt.com/products/gw1102?_pos=1&_sid=482c51a8a&_ss=r
You can order direct, check out your local amazon or find a local Ecowitt distributor.

Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 07:32:45 AM »
I think you can't go wrong with ecowitt: 'super expandable and connectable' ( I have this station and I'm quite happy ).
It should be quite similar to your station but the 'super characteristic' I already mentioned, make it a winning solution ( not to mention that extra sensors  are also 'decently priced' ).

P.S.
Check also this must read post to know more about the ecowitt ecosystem

P.P.S.
Forgot to mention ecowitt 'super customer support'
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:39:26 AM by davidefa »

Offline WeeK00

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 08:24:53 AM »
Thank you both! It really seems that Ecowitt/Fine Offset etc. is the answer for all my needs!

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 10:37:54 AM »
Thank you both! It really seems that Ecowitt/Fine Offset etc. is the answer for all my needs!

Yes

Once you have your system planned you can describe it on here for any other advice from the forum members

Thats what I did with mine - dodged a few potential pitfalls!

anything