Author Topic: Help  (Read 652 times)

Offline Lac Cavagnac

Help
« on: March 31, 2022, 04:08:45 AM »
Hi All ,
I came across your community while trying to find the Ambient Ws 2902C for sale in Europe.
Knowing absolutely nothing about weather stations but after reading reviews went searching for the Ambient.
Now that i have your found your site ,could you please give me some advise. I manage a lake in France and would like to erect a weather station there for visitors info but nothing to complicated
What would the community suggest as i am considering importing the Ambient Ws 2902C USA

Thanks in advance

Offline Chucktin

• Kathouse
Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 06:34:16 AM »
I installed our second Ambient personal weather station two months ago. It replaced an Ambient "FALCON" PWS that we had for about two years. (That one failed due to my ineptitude.)
Based on my experience I can share some comments.
Our 2902C has a smallish console and the display seems to have been chosen for a small farm. I will try to include a picture of ours to illustrate this.
The console is in our kitchen and the sensor array is 100+ feet away so the signal has to go through several walls, interior and exterior, to register on the console.
Included on the display is: UVI and LIGHT in the lower right corner and RAIN in the lower left corner.
It's the UVI and LIGHT that make me think this one has features for a farm. I seldom pay attention to them.
The RAIN display can tell the total rain record since (I guess) the last time the PWS was started (so it resets when? This I do not know). Also the total of the last rain EVENT, I guess that means the last rain-fall recorded, and the weekly total. Again that suggests to me a farm environment.
I really think this 2902C records low as we are about 3 miles from a small airport that has a Government Weather reporting station and it reports more rain and higher wind gusts - different enough for me to notice.
Two more comments - installing both PWS sensor arrays was a pain in the neck. The North arrow is cast into the upper surface of the plastic body as if you could look down on it while you are trying to align the array to north-facing. As it seems to be generally recommended that the Array be isolated from local buildings, trees and obstructions that seems like a bad design to me. Your experience may vary, of course.
Finally I found the instructions for the first PWS to be just awful. It was a cut & paste document and that showed. The instructions for the 2902C are better but still have at least one curious shortcoming - calibration of the barometric pressure. At one point is stated you can calibrate the pressure, at another is stated you cannot. Confusing.
Finally I never succeeded in getting either station to broadcast data through our home router to any of the websites that except PWS data. Again your results may vary.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 06:49:24 AM »
I would suggest having a look at https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0 as the majority of the stations are actually all clones of Finbe Offset equipment sold world wide by Ecowitt. Froggit are a reseller of Fine Offset in Europe most of which has been rebadged but is the same equipment.  A Google search will show up all these. As to the best it will depend on your budget, top of the range for amateurs is Davis equipment but you need a large budget probably £600-£800 as a start!

Maybe others here will suggest equipment especially if they have similar experiences to yours.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 07:13:27 AM »
I would not go for the Ambient version ( it is for the American market and uses frequencies not allowed here in Europe )
As Stuart said you can find the same station under different brands ( ecowitt, froggit, weldbeck, steinberg... )
Only consider the console you selected has limited expandability ( if this is important to you ), but you can always add a gw1000/gw1100 gateway...

https://www.expondo.fr/steinberg-systems-station-meteo-connectee-10030455?utm_source=idealo&utm_medium=price_comparison&utm_campaign=it_attrezzature_industriali&utm_content=stazioni_meteo&utm_term=ex10030455
https://www.amazon.fr/professionnelle-Waldbeck-Affichage-Informations-Compatible/dp/B07JD3BH75/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=2QIXY4JO3SXEJ&keywords=waldbeck+halley&qid=1648724354&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=waldbeck+halley%2Cgarden%2C102&sr=1-5

Offline Lac Cavagnac

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 07:22:06 AM »
Hi David ,

Thank you i will start looking in that direction .

Rgds M

anything