Author Topic: Signal Strength  (Read 1170 times)

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
Signal Strength
« on: August 18, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »
I have an 5 in 1 and a tower sensor.  Along with that I have the bridge which has been updated for MyAcurite.  The issue is signal strength.  The 5 in 1 is showing 2 bars and weak.  The tower sensor is showing 1 bar and weak.  The 5 in 1 is maybe 150 from the bridge.  The tower sensor is only 20 feet from the bridge.  Same readings on both MyAcurite and the IP for the bridge. 

I just moved the bridge from the computer room to my bedroom window so there are no obstructions.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dennis

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Signal Strength
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:43:08 PM »
I have an 5 in 1 and a tower sensor.  Along with that I have the bridge which has been updated for MyAcurite.  The issue is signal strength.  The 5 in 1 is showing 2 bars and weak.  The tower sensor is showing 1 bar and weak.  The 5 in 1 is maybe 150 from the bridge.  The tower sensor is only 20 feet from the bridge.  Same readings on both MyAcurite and the IP for the bridge. 

I just moved the bridge from the computer room to my bedroom window so there are no obstructions.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Dennis

2 bars sound fine at 150 feet for the 5n1.

One bar at 20 feet for a Tower sounds unusual.  Are you sure it's a full-power Tower?  Some of the Towers only transmit half-power and aren't considered "AcuLink compatible" even though the system sees them.

The number of bars doesn't always relate well to distance.  One bar is all you need to get all the data.  All more bars do is make your signal more robust in bad conditions.  The data throughput is the same.

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:02:50 AM »
Thanks for the info.  The sensor is from Acurite.  The price is low enough that I may just buy another one and see what that does.
I did put new batteries in it yesterday with no change is reported strengh.

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
I continue to have issues with just 1 bar on my bridge.  At the same time I am showing full bars on the console.  Could the bridge be faulty or a bad antenna?  I lose the signal at times overnight. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »
I continue to have issues with just 1 bar on my bridge.  At the same time I am showing full bars on the console.  Could the bridge be faulty or a bad antenna?  I lose the signal at times overnight.

The console shows bars differently.  It starts with full bars, then subtracts bars as scheduled data packets are missed.  If you have anything less than full bars on a console, it means you've lost data.

The bridge show bars based on actual signal strength.  One bar is enough for all data to get through.

Based on your description of the 5n1 having 2 bars at 150 feet, the bridge is working properly.

Offline KK7X

• Contributor
  • KIDRATHD3
    • Rathdrum Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:09 AM »
Thanks George.  Just curious, is there a preferred direction orientation for the bridge?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
Thanks George.  Just curious, is there a preferred direction orientation for the bridge?

Acurite says it's omni-directdional, but it does seem somewhat directional in real-world use.

Most people orient it with the paddle perpendicular to the direction to the sensor.

anything