Author Topic: Vantage Pro2+ ISS Transmitter replacement  (Read 1573 times)

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
Vantage Pro2+ ISS Transmitter replacement
« on: June 13, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »
Hi,
Does anyone know the part number for the replacement transmitter assembly, or is there one?  I know the 6332 is the anemometer assembly with PCBA and complete housing...problem is the housing being pole mount.  I need this same setup to mount to the ISS.  Davis gave me the numbers for the PCBA and the solar lid, which I can use, but if replacing this I'd rather replace the housing as well. 

This is a wireless version.

My 6 year old transmitter died a few days ago while I was on vacation, nothing I have tried has revived it.

Any thoughts on revival or part numbers will be greatly appreciated!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Vantage Pro2+ ISS Transmitter replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 04:40:08 PM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »
BTW, if that's your VP2 on the roof, not a good place for it, but of course I know nothing of your situation. See if this will help.

https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »
Thank you CW,
That is exactly what I am looking for.  I am assuming that the PCBA is not just the circuitboard part, but includes the housing and antenna as pictured.  I think it's kind of misleading to call that a PCBA....as it includes quite a bit more that just the circuitboard.  It appears that p/n 7345.976 + 7345.114 will be ordered here in a few minutes.

I never could get Davis to tell me if the PCBA included the housing shell or was just a PCBA that I would have to install into my housing.

My ISS is not on the roof as in the profile picture.  My ISS is only about 7" off the ground, and my anemometer is separated and roof mounted.
It was roof mounted for about a year and a half until we built our new house, and I re-thunk matters and now have a much better setup [tup]

Many thanks!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:54:50 PM »
If you're not sure, call Ryan, # at the bottom, it his company and will answer anything you're concerned about.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
Yes you have correct parts assuming you don’t have the daytime fan. If you do, then you need part 7345.116 not 7345.114.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 05:04:10 PM »
Thanks CW,
I just placed my order, should have it in a couple days and be up and running again.

Do you think my old transmitter can be revived?  I replaced the battery to no avail...it seems dead.   I can't see replacing the supercap doing much good if a fresh battery will not at least give a signal.  The solar panel has a good output when exposed to full sun, even though the cover over it has faded quite a bit.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
Thanks CW,
I just placed my order, should have it in a couple days and be up and running again.

Do you think my old transmitter can be revived?  I replaced the battery to no avail...it seems dead.   I can't see replacing the supercap doing much good if a fresh battery will not at least give a signal.  The solar panel has a good output when exposed to full sun, even though the cover over it has faded quite a bit.

By the way, Ryan has a very good manual on his website showing how to replace the PCBA. It is viewable here:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Pro2_Transmitter_Removal_V1.0.pdf

Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »
Yes you have correct parts assuming you don’t have the daytime fan. If you do, then you need part 7345.116 not 7345.114.

Hi WheatonRon,
My Davis must be an older one...7345.116 appears to have 2 solar panels.  My FARS has a larger dedicated solar panel.  I really do need to build up a few more spare parts...I seem to have most everything except what I usually need!

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »

Hi WheatonRon,
My Davis must be an older one...7345.116 appears to have 2 solar panels.  My FARS has a larger dedicated solar panel.  I really do need to build up a few more spare parts...I seem to have most everything except what I usually need!

There are 2 different version of the FARS, one that is 24/7 powered by its own solar panel and runs on batteries overnight found here, and one that has a smaller solar panel and runs only during the daytime, found here

If your transmitter's solar panel is still putting out a good signal, then you probably don't need to replace the front door of the transmitter with the solar panel. If you'd like to anyway, from your picture, you have the single solar panel transmitter door found here

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »

Hi WheatonRon,

You must have the 24 hour FARS, viewable below. Changing the PCBA transmitter requires the same technique irrespective of whether you have the 24 hour fan, the daytime fan, or no fan at all.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:30:26 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
Do you think my old transmitter can be revived? 
I'm sure it can, but at what cost and hassle? Without knowing more....

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 10:17:39 PM »

Hi WheatonRon,

You must have the 24 hour FARS, viewable below. Changing the PCBA transmitter requires the same technique irrespective of whether you have the 24 hour fan, the daytime fan, or no fan at all.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That’s mine WhearonRon, I haven’t upgraded to the new rain collector yet, but the solar panel config is correct [tup]

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:42 PM »

Hi WheatonRon,

That’s mine WhearonRon, I haven’t upgraded to the new rain collector yet, but the solar panel config is correct [tup]

Personally, I hate the aerocone rain collector. I like the old one better and I see no improvement in rain fall accuracy. It is next to impossible to remove the aerocone rain collector from the rain base—even using liquid soap (Davis support idea) in the rain base slots to lubricate them from the collector.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:39:39 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 10:41:27 PM »

Next time you order parts, I'd definitely recommend the new rain collector cuz of the bird spikes alone. Those definitely help keep birds from using mine as a toilet. I even hot glue some of the spikes to my 4" Stratus to keep them from "going" on/in it.

I disagree with WheatonRon in that I have no issue at all with removing mine, it twists off with minimal effort. If you do have trouble, you could try putting a little oring lube around the pieces that snap together for easier removal. I have a tube of Hayward Jack's Formula Multilube for my pool and I put a little around the skimmer lid to make twisting it off easier.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 11:13:46 PM »

Next time you order parts, I'd definitely recommend the new rain collector cuz of the bird spikes alone. Those definitely help keep birds from using mine as a toilet. I even hot glue some of the spikes to my 4" Stratus to keep them from "going" on/in it.

I disagree with WheatonRon in that I have no issue at all with removing mine, it twists off with minimal effort. If you do have trouble, you could try putting a little oring lube around the pieces that snap together for easier removal. I have a tube of Hayward Jack's Formula Multilube for my pool and I put a little around the skimmer lid to make twisting it off easier.

I stand by my comments. I have 3 VP2s and cleaned each this week—a regular necessary job if you own a pws. Two of my stations have the “goofy and poorly designed aerocones” (my commentary) and the aerocones are dangerous to remove—they require entirely too much torque to remove, even if I take down the ISS.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:51:12 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »

I stand by my comments. I have 3 VP2s and cleaned each this week—a regular necessary job if you own a pws. Two of my stations have the “goofy and poorly designed aerocones” (my analysis) and the aerocones are dangerous to remove—they require entirely too much torque to remove, even if I take down the ISS.

Not saying yours aren't hard to remove, just that that hasn't been my experience. I chalk it up to mass producing them, some will be a little looser and some tighter than others.  :oops:

Offline gman19

• KD4TJG
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »
Great food for thought on the aerocone design.  I have the original design rain collector that has the bird spike upgrade.  It isn’t all that easy to remove either...I usually do not engage the latches fully because of this. 

BTW, Ryan has already shipped my new parts, hopefully UPS will be kind and have them here in a couple days.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »

This is what makes this Forum great. Lightmaster suggested using “Hayward Jack’s Formula Multilube” to remove the aerocone from the rainbase! I got a tube from Amazon and bingo—it works—much better than dishwashing soap suggested by Davis support. Thank you very much lightmaster-a tip unlikely to find without the great help this Forum provides!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:17:05 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 11:17:38 PM »

This is what makes this Forum great. Lightmaster suggested using “Hayward Jack’s Formula Multilube” to remove the aerocone from the rainbase! I got a tube from Amazon and bingo—it works—much better than dishwashing soap suggested by Davis support. Thank you very much lightmaster-a tip unlikely to find without the great help this Forum provides!

Glad you ordered some and it worked. I use it on pretty much anything that is like the aerocone, where 2 plastic surfaces are held together and tend to stick. You can also put some on the o-ring that's under the transmitter cover to keep the o-ring from drying out and cracking or leaking.

Funny thing is I found out about the multilube from another great forum about taking care of your pool without needing a Pool Store or expensive chemicals: https://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/

anything