Weather Software > RaspberryPI Weather Software

Which Raspberry Pi?

(1/2) > >>

rushmere:
I'm looking to get a Raspberry Pi to use with an Ecowitt GW1100 plus WeeWX and/or Cumulus.

I'm new to the Raspberry Pi (and to the software), so it's going to be a nice little project to keep me entertained.

However, I'm not sure which Raspberry Pi model I need. Is a Pi 4 B with 4GB OK? Would 8GB be better, or is that just overkill? Or would an older 3 B+ model be enough?

I'm not too worried about the cost, so I'm happy to spend a bit more if it's going to be more enjoyable to use, but there's no point me buying something that's total overkill.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Aussie Susan:
I'm running WeeWx in a 3B+, along with Nginx without any issues.
I do have a SD card in there but it is set to be 'read only' and all of the WeeWx files are on a NAS drive so I don't have SD card reliability issues (touch wood!!).
Susan

mcrossley:
You don't need a 4, a 3B+ will be fine, use less power, and run cooler.

With the 3B+ you also have the option (like the 4) of using a USB SSD drive instead of an SD card. You can pick up those small SSDs quite cheaply.

rushmere:
Thanks for the advice  [tup]

weatherkitten:
I've been using a Pi Zero Wireless model since 2018. Super reliable to the point I've had it going for 3 years uptime once. Uses almost no power and the processor is plenty fast enough for weewx 1 minute updates, skin generation, plus hosting nginx. Use an MLC SD card and you won't have issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version