Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 631986 times)

Offline i_fiorentino

• Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Vue, Boltek Stormtr., Mobotix M22-IT
    • Meteopistoia.it
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #7400 on: July 09, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Hi Jachym,
just a question about gfs Block.
Is it possible to choice which type of data or chart shows on block?
Because actually block show mandatory temperatures meteogram.
Thanks to advance,

Alessandro

Inviato dal mio SM-T535 utilizzando Tapatalk
Hi Jachym,
is it possible?
Regards,

Alessandro

Hi Alessandro,
I am not sure what you mean because the block shows not just temperature, but all the other variables as well:
http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=gfs
Hi Jachym,
now default picture is meteogram.
Is it possible to set chart as default setting?

Another question.
Is there a possibility to show an alerts when a (monthly or yearly) records is broken?
Like Curl's script on Saratoga template ;)
Please, let me know about both questions.
Regards,

Alessandro

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7401 on: July 09, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Hi Alessandro,
I still dont understand, the GFS block shows a graph of all the parameters at once, not just temperature, so I dont quite see what you want to set as default.

Records - this is a problem. This would cause many issues.
Just one of them:
you are a new user, with blank database and install the template in January. Then most likely, almost every day until June you would see that "year max" was broken, "monthly max" was broken etc. because from jan to Jun it would be getting warmer and warmer.
And even after 1-2 years, it is not enough to make any sort of statistic.
There are many other issues with this. Someone has already asked me about this, but it would do more harm than good.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Plugin Update – Extended Graphs 3.0
« Reply #7402 on: July 09, 2017, 01:11:00 PM »
Plugin Update – Extended Graphs 3.0

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2988

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7403 on: July 09, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
Alessandro, probably the best thing would be if you could post a screenshot and highlight where you want the change

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #7404 on: July 09, 2017, 11:06:21 PM »
Jachym,

Just noticed on update of extended graphs if you choose the 3 Parameter graph the meteotemplate icon spins behind the graph.  Tried it on your site with same result.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline Colin

• Senior Contributor
    • Colin's Weather
« Reply #7405 on: July 10, 2017, 12:52:54 AM »
I find it amazing how quickly people turn on you.
Bashy was happy with HIS weather site. If he wanted to remove the 'more' button from HIS site then he should be able to do so without question and should not have to explain why.

When he wrote "Ah, ok, i will remove the button then, thanks." That should of been the end of it.

But no! You lot went on and on with personal insults, being called "selfish" and questioning why he wants HIS site the way he wants HIS site.

Comments like..
Well maybe given how successful you are at all this you could create a template for us all as well and Im sure it would be the best template ever.
was un-called for and just plain rude.

I’d like to know your page hit volume and bounce rate.  Maybe you should share your “secret sauce” with those outside your competitive region"
is just another smart-arsed comment.

And the post by weatherist34 was pathetic.

God help anybody that has and expresses a different opinion than you.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 - USB Data Logger - Meteobridge
Porepunkah, Victoria, Australia
https://www.weather.manorts.com
https://www.punkaweather.com
www.meteo.manorts.com

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #7406 on: July 10, 2017, 03:03:08 AM »
I find it amazing how quickly people turn on you.
Bashy was happy with HIS weather site. If he wanted to remove the 'more' button from HIS site then he should be able to do so without question and should not have to explain why.

When he wrote "Ah, ok, i will remove the button then, thanks." That should of been the end of it.

But no! You lot went on and on with personal insults, being called "selfish" and questioning why he wants HIS site the way he wants HIS site.

Comments like..
Well maybe given how successful you are at all this you could create a template for us all as well and Im sure it would be the best template ever.
was un-called for and just plain rude.

I’d like to know your page hit volume and bounce rate.  Maybe you should share your “secret sauce” with those outside your competitive region"
is just another smart-arsed comment.

And the post by weatherist34 was pathetic.

God help anybody that has and expresses a different opinion than you.

hello Colin

i can only say if it was taken as an insult then i stand by my comment "there is no body language or tone of voice in my writings" you simply take it as you feel .

i can think of ways of really clearly insulting someone through musing aloud .. but I don't see any reason to actually insult Bashy based on his writings (comments) I just merely said it rather SUX that you want to use a source of info without some reciprocal  link to acknowledge. If thats an insult then the world has become a rather sensitive weak minded place .

has for expressing opinions , they will always be challenged whether you or they are right or wrong its the nature of the world we live in "too many Chiefs and not enough Indians"..

anyway nice clean site you have its has some nice originality...

have a nice evening Brian..

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7407 on: July 10, 2017, 06:21:30 AM »
Hi,
there are situations where one´s opinion can be different from other person´s and you cant tell who is right or wrong. In this case however, it is absolutely clear that what Bashy wanted to do was unacceptable, or rather I should say, violating the T&C. In the end, it would be up to him, if he deleted the link, all I would/could say is well its your choice, but it is a bit disappointing to see such disrespect on his end.

I dont understand why you labeled Brian´s post as pathetic. His post was right to the point and quoted the exact paragraph from the Terms and Conditions of Metoffice. I dont see anything wrong with that, it is a pure fact and again, nothing to really argue about. Deleting the link is not allowed, period.

One thing I want to emphasize is that I never asked Bashy to delete his website, that was completely his decision, however in the mean time I am not going to plead him not to do it. If he didnt like his page overall, then it was an obvious thing to do, if he did, then quite honestly it is his loss, not mine. If he didnt do it and sent me a request for a download token for update to version 15, I would have sent it to him without any comments or hesitation.

But as a developer, I have to make sure certain standards are met - or at least make it clear to people about what they should / should not do and for that reason I told Bashy, he should definitely not delete that link (but again, if he did so, I cant do anything about it anyway).

Last but not least, even if we disregard the absolute condition of metoffice to do this, I personally would include it even if that condition wasnt there, simply to show a bit of appretiation for the fact you are using their data. Just like Brian correctly pointed out, you are using them and not offering anything in return. Think about how you would feel if I iframed your website and made sure that the iframe does not include any of the footer information or identification that it is actually your site. I am sure you would not like that either.

And I dont want to discuss this anymore. Bashy did what he did, it was his decision, I respect it and in the meantime I insist that what I said was correct in this case and I would have said it again and to anyone else should they want to do similar thing - thats all I can do, I cannot prevent them from doing it, but I have to inform them about it.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7408 on: July 10, 2017, 06:30:11 AM »
Jachym,

Just noticed on update of extended graphs if you choose the 3 Parameter graph the meteotemplate icon spins behind the graph.  Tried it on your site with same result.

Jay

Hi Jay,
thanks for letting me know I will look at it today when I have break at work, I think I know what the problem is

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7409 on: July 10, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
Jachym, you went off me when i mentioned about all the negative WU posts, you took it to heart but thats fine, thats up to you.

With regards to the Met Office, did you or did you not create the 1st block with a more button and that showed more information (WITH NO LINK to the MO i might add all it said was Data source: MetOffice) regardless of how much more information there was but there was some, that is what i was interested in, but you sir, jumped the gun, all i was interested in was that information back, When i said i will remove that link, it was not to remove any copyright, i was going to modify the block myself, like i had done with some of the others to get the info back, but in the end i decided to go back to the original block so in effect all this is because i spoke of removing the more link. I respect copyright (when i remember to add it, not all perfect) I belive its thre on the UK extremes block, scroll down its on the left hand side somewhere

I am well aware of the TOC's of the UK Met office, who do you think got us all permission to use the UK extremes data from the Met Office, yep, that was me, so i know whats what, but you sir just jumped on me and before i knew it, it just blew up in my face.

You sir also pinned me down in the other thread mentioning an issue on another forum, that sir was disrespectful, What happened between Brian and I has no bearing in this forum, things are said in the heat of the moment, we have talked since.

You sir belittled me in this thread (not to mention calling me selfish) and the other thread because you took my reply totally the wrong way and well out of context, what, all because i mentioned to you about the number of the negative WU posts. 

When i finally found out which reply of mine you thought was bad, i explained it to you and you just went silent, no apology, just silence, i swear i saw a tumbleweed........

I feel this is why you slammed me down in this thread, then another coder jumped in too, saying
design your own stuff give us something to drool over and tear apart
as though i was slagging off Meteotemplate, this was obviously not the case, it was a successful forum, running a forum and being a coder are totally different, the comment was said to belittle me, i am most definitely right when i said witch hunt, three of you having words all because i said i will remove the more button, no heed was taken as to what would happen next, you all just pounced..... Hats off to you all, proud of you, but most of all i am very surprised at you Jáchym.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline i_fiorentino

• Forecaster
    • Meteopistoia.it
« Reply #7410 on: July 10, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
Alessandro, probably the best thing would be if you could post a screenshot and highlight where you want the change

Hi Jachym.
Ok,
please look these images:

This image is a default image of gfs block. This is the image showed when you visit my site.
Is it possible to make this image

like a default image instead of previous?

Other question:

Is there a possibility to show an alert (in Home) when a record (monthly or yearly or all time) is broken?
Thank you in advance.
Regards,

Alessandro

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7411 on: July 10, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
Hi,
I see what you mean, I will put it on my to-do list

Record alerts - this will not work, I explained this in the previous post

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7412 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
Jachym, you went off me when i mentioned about all the negative WU posts, you took it to heart but thats fine, thats up to you.

With regards to the Met Office, did you or did you not create the 1st block with a more button and that showed more information (WITH NO LINK to the MO i might add all it said was Data source: MetOffice) regardless of how much more information there was but there was some, that is what i was interested in, but you sir, jumped the gun, all i was interested in was that information back, When i said i will remove that link, it was not to remove any copyright, i was going to modify the block myself, like i had done with some of the others to get the info back, but in the end i decided to go back to the original block so in effect all this is because i spoke of removing the more link. I respect copyright (when i remember to add it, not all perfect) I belive its thre on the UK extremes block, scroll down its on the left hand side somewhere

I am well aware of the TOC's of the UK Met office, who do you think got us all permission to use the UK extremes data from the Met Office, yep, that was me, so i know whats what, but you sir just jumped on me and before i knew it, it just blew up in my face.

You sir also pinned me down in the other thread mentioning an issue on another forum, that sir was disrespectful, What happened between Brian and I has no bearing in this forum, things are said in the heat of the moment, we have talked since.

You sir belittled me in this thread (not to mention calling me selfish) and the other thread because you took my reply totally the wrong way and well out of context, what, all because i mentioned to you about the number of the negative WU posts. 

When i finally found out which reply of mine you thought was bad, i explained it to you and you just went silent, no apology, just silence, i swear i saw a tumbleweed........

I feel this is why you slammed me down in this thread, then another coder jumped in too, saying
design your own stuff give us something to drool over and tear apart
as though i was slagging off Meteotemplate, this was obviously not the case, it was a successful forum, running a forum and being a coder are totally different, the comment was said to belittle me, i am most definitely right when i said witch hunt, three of you having words all because i said i will remove the more button, no heed was taken as to what would happen next, you all just pounced..... Hats off to you all, proud of you, but most of all i am very surprised at you Jáchym.

Ive had enough, you are no longer using it so please dont post anything in this thread. The original block did not have that and that was exactly why I released the new version. And thats all, I dont want to have any other posts about this in this thread ok? You probably enjoy labeling yourself as a scapegoat and put all the blame on others, the reason I mentioned the WD forum was for exactly this very reason, maybe you should sometime also think a bit about whether you are partly also not the one making the mistakes.

But anyway, I have to say that out of the 730 users Ive been in touch with, I only had problems with one of them so I dont think I should change anything in general. I asked you already to please stop discussing this issue and I thought you wanted that as well, so dont understand why you come back to it again, or if you feel the need to do so, please create a new thread, I dont it in this one any more, it is just spam for others.

Offline i_fiorentino

• Forecaster
    • Meteopistoia.it
« Reply #7413 on: July 10, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
Hi,
I see what you mean, I will put it on my to-do list

Record alerts - this will not work, I explained this in the previous post

Thank Jachym,
sorry for alert question, i haven't see your post.
Regards,

Alessandro

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7414 on: July 10, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
Hi Alessandro,
I am looking at the GFS block, it should not be a problem to do.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update - GFS 2.0
« Reply #7415 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
Block Update - GFS 2.0

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2992

Enjoy

Offline Johnny 5

• Just a hobby
    • Watford Weather
« Reply #7416 on: July 10, 2017, 10:13:35 AM »
Hello Bashy,

I have been reading the posts between you and Jachym and watched the conversation deteriorate. As you are now well aware the warningsUK block had to be updated so as not to contravene the Met Office rules. This appears to be the change that you were not happy about, now when you click on the 'More' button to read the detail of the warnings, the visitor is taken to the Met Office website and away from yours.

This did not bother me in the slightest when I updated it, but it clearly bothered you, you want visitors to remain on your site and not have to go elsewhere. This is the bit I feel you personally have to wrestle with and hopefully let go of, visitors to your site may well have arrived there by links somewhere else on the Internet - it works both ways.

I never saw your MeteoTemplate website and now believe you have deleted it - which is such a shame, just a little give way on your part and none of this would have taken place.

John

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Plugin Update - Extended Graphs 4.0
« Reply #7417 on: July 10, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Plugin Update - Extended Graphs 4.0

Hi guys,

I thought it would be nice to also have a “month comparison” (annual comparison is already available in the overall statistics pages). So I added a new monthly comparison graph to the Extended Graphs. You can select combination of any months and compare them on a single graph, for all the parameters you can choose between showing an average or range, for precipitation you will always see a column graph of daily sum.

In addition I fixed some minor bugs.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/extendedGraphs/monthComparison.php

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7418 on: July 10, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
Hi guys,
not that I would completely agree with the method used to measure this (which I explained here in the past), but still, this looks good :)

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #7419 on: July 10, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »
Hello Bashy,

I have been reading the posts between you and Jachym and watched the conversation deteriorate. As you are now well aware the warningsUK block had to be updated so as not to contravene the Met Office rules. This appears to be the change that you were not happy about, now when you click on the 'More' button to read the detail of the warnings, the visitor is taken to the Met Office website and away from yours.

This did not bother me in the slightest when I updated it, but it clearly bothered you, you want visitors to remain on your site and not have to go elsewhere. This is the bit I feel you personally have to wrestle with and hopefully let go of, visitors to your site may well have arrived there by links somewhere else on the Internet - it works both ways.

I never saw your MeteoTemplate website and now believe you have deleted it - which is such a shame, just a little give way on your part and none of this would have taken place.

John

I do not want to keep this thing going but want to make a statement.  You cannot please everyone.  I would say 1 out of 500 people is not bad.  I bet if he had to pay for it, it would not be used.  People want things for free AND want it THEIR way.  That is just not the right thing.  Could you imagine calling Apple and telling them to change something and when they don't getting all nasty?  I am sorry but I have to side with the other 700+ users and say that I am very happy with the template.  Do I like all of it?  Probably not.  Would I like to customize some things?  Probably yes.  That said I completely respect the reasons the develop has made decisions and more importantly respect the TC of the various components within.  I have seen the posts by this person in other forums on and off this site and I have to say that unless you seen some of the interactions, you would not understand.  Don't sweat it Jachym (obviously it does not bother you which is GOOD) and keep up the great work.  If it weren't for people like Jachym, I would still be sitting here with a pathetic website - if any at all.  You have made it possible for me to ENJOY it without all the work in developing and reading on how to do it.  Does that make it difficult  Yes!  I have asked many a stupid question, but in the end this has been amazing.

Thank you!!!

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
Re: Meteotemplate - Block Update - GFS 2.0
« Reply #7420 on: July 10, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Block Update - GFS 2.0

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2992

Enjoy

Absolutely love the ability to make this change in settings!  Thanks!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7421 on: July 10, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »
Thanks, always welcome

Offline KapitainOne

• Senior Contributor
    • Sanford Weather
« Reply #7422 on: July 10, 2017, 11:18:51 PM »
Hi guys,
not that I would completely agree with the method used to measure this (which I explained here in the past), but still, this looks good :)
Mine is much different!!!

Not that I really care but ......

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7423 on: July 11, 2017, 01:08:08 AM »

I do not want to keep this thing going but want to make a statement.  You cannot please everyone.  I would say 1 out of 500 people is not bad.  I bet if he had to pay for it, it would not be used.  People want things for free AND want it THEIR way. 

Look, Jachym asked me to stop posting, how can i stop when people keep making "statements"

Now you've brought it up, I DID PAY!! (donate) not a lot but some and no doubt a lot more than many

jeffm5690, where are you getting off on this? you are speaking as though i have issues with MT
stop saying that, i do not have any issues at all with MT.

So many times i have literally walked away from this thread and let it go back to support

From the 6th that was the end of it, until you jeffm5690 revived it and again this time round
If i am to keep out of this thread with regards to this then should it not apply to others too?

I have seen the posts by this person in other forums on and off this site and I have to say that unless you seen some of the interactions, you would not understand.

Fab, glad you can read, it wasnt really a secret that Brian and i had a disagreement, but another trying to discredit
me is again, out of order, there are always 2 sides to a story and in both cases, glass half full springs to mind
and again, it has no bearing on you guys jumping on me because i wanted to modify a block.
Yes, exactly that, who brought up SEO, wasnt me, i was only interested in modifying the block,

You also said forums, thats plural, that makes it sound like you have seen something in more than one other, that sir
is untrue and misleading, unless of course i have forgot something of which case please, pray tell?

Could you imagine calling Apple and telling them to change something and when they don't getting all nasty?

Your statement is inaccurate, i have not told anyone to do anything, i have not gotten nasty. i asked, was told no and i said thanks.

Do I like all of it?  Probably not.

That is more than i have ever said, i would not have the nerve

All i have ever done in this forum is defend myself, i have not been abusive, i asked about a block, the short answer
was no, i said i will remove it and said my thanks
, to me, that was the end, should have been the end

The issue is not localised to this thread, it spans 2 others and originated from a WU issue thread, i dont care
how you want to look at it, that is what happened.

To me the ride is over, it was days ago. but i will say it once more, i have NO issues with MeteoTemplate, please stop saying i do, i dont even have an issue with Jachym, to me its finished with
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7424 on: July 11, 2017, 05:51:12 AM »
Hi guys,
Mine is much different!!!

Not that I really care but ......

Hi,
this pretty much depends on several things - your server speed and whether it compresses data, the block choice and partly also "luck", it could be that my site is simply more visited so each user has a lower probability of reloading the cache since someone else has already done so (and in this case the user was obviously Google), this is also a major thing because loading external data happens in the backend via PHP, so it will count towards the overall time.

In the meantime, 10s is still quite good, especially because Google does not take into account how Meteotemplate works. On a normal page, 10s could be a lot, but for Meteotemplate it is not that much because of the way it is built - i.e. the blocks load gradually so the first one might load after 0.5s, second after 1s.... and after 10s they were all loaded, but you could start using the page and look at the data much earlier than that.