Author Topic: WeatherLinkIP data extraction  (Read 4878 times)

Offline radko_t

WeatherLinkIP data extraction
« on: July 06, 2016, 04:08:41 AM »
Hello,

Excuse me if there is already a topic for this, but I have a question about Davis Weather station Vantage Pro.
The station has a data logger (WweatherLinkIP) connected to my computer and everything is configured to work property (custom IP, DNS and everything else).
I want to create some kind of application (JavaScript, C# console application, webAPI or something else) to listen for the real-time information send to the server Weatherlink.com or to the software installed on my computer (weatherlik 6.0.1) and to display it in my 3rd party .NET application.
The fellas from Davis told me to use the "May 22, 2008: WeatherLink Serial Communications Reference, 3.3" from http://www.davisnet.com/resources/weather-monitoring/#support but this solution doesn't represent a communication between the PC and the Station via TCP/IP like my case.

I will really appreciate any advice, because I stuck in this problem for a week or more.   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
Re: WeatherLinkIP data extraction
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 04:55:40 AM »
It's exactly the same protocol. Just open a TCP socket on the IP address and port number that the Weatherlink IP is using, and read and write using that rather than a serial connection.

Eric

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »
Having done exactly what you are trying to do, I can verify that what Eric is saying is correct. Once you have a socket opened, the command syntax and command format are exactly the same as a serial or USB connection.

Use the "WeatherLink Serial Communications Reference" and be prepared to do a bit of byte level work.  :grin:

Offline Nabaja

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:53 PM »
Any luck in sending the data to your 3rd party app?

I run a beach service at a vacation resort in Florida and different departments from the resort are always calling me for beach and weather conditions because I can usually walk down the boardwalk and tell when it's going to rain that day.

I want to create an in-house web site that displays the conditions from a PWS on my beach so the resort employees can check on the beach conditions whenever they'd like.

How do I go about sending the data from my a PWS to my custom site without using wunderground?

I haven't purchased a PWS yet, so if you can recommend something that will make this project easier, let me know!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »
If you are set on using WLIP, then use the TCP socket method.  If you go with another comm protocol on Davis like serial or USB or another brand of station altogether, you have options ranging from Meteobridge to Weewx/Raspberry Pi or Kevin Keys Acurite reader etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Nabaja

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:50 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm checking out the Meteobridge interface simulator at the moment. Would an HTTP request get the job done?

Also, I know areas along the coast of Florida that have over 20 to 30k people getting their weather from The Weather Channel app with their closest station over 25 miles away and 10 miles away from the beach, so the conditions are always wrong. So, if it's this easy to report conditions from a PWS to an app or website, why aren't more PWS owners creating custom applications for smaller communities that rely on weather stations up to 50 miles away?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »
If you go with Meteobridge, you can vampire off Port 22222 to send to your own site.  No idea why there are not more wx stations along the coast although I am sure Wu lists them all.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything