Author Topic: Lightning detector  (Read 31882 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: Lightning detector
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 08:25:42 AM »
OK, so the moment has arrived...

I have the WH57 in my hands.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
As you can see and as expected its the same size package as a normal temp/hygro sensor (wh31)
It does have a LED underneath the lightning symbol that flashes red when it transmits.
I don't know if this will also indicate a strike at the time of writing this.

The sensor appears to have some settings that users can control. As of now I have chose to leave them default as I received it.

The GW1000 systems in my house have all seen it automatically and added it whilst the HP2551 so far has not.
I am in dialog with Ecowitt but I believe that the firmware is not yet completed that allows the integration of this sensor.
We have been discussing a lightning symbol flashing on the console display for a set period to indicate lightning activity in the detection area.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:30:54 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 08:26:49 AM »
Mine is already set up with output on my home page. :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:29:42 AM by Mapantz »

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 08:33:05 AM »
Any detections yet?
Weather is looking fairly calm at the moment in Southern UK so I am betting we will have no thunderstorms for ages!

I shall be curious to see if there are any false detections as I know that's the real issue with detectors
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 08:38:39 AM »
Any detections yet?
Weather is looking fairly calm at the moment in Southern UK so I am betting we will have no thunderstorms for ages!

I shall be curious to see if there are any false detections as I know that's the real issue with detectors

From my testing, it seems there is something in place to avoid false positives. I also have a Strike Alert HD3000. If I put them both side-by-side and hold a TV remote in front of them, then press a button, the HD3000 triggers an alarm, and the Ecowitt LED flashes, but nothing registers via the dashboard. If you hold the TV remote button down for a long period of time, the Ecowitt will eventually register a strike. So, it's definitely trying to filter out unwanted noise.

Hopefully, they'll be a chance for some convective weather next week, in the form of showery troughs moving in from the W/NW - dragging cold air aloft.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 09:35:38 AM »
Mine also in test from one hour ago  ;)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mauro

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45:01 AM »
mauro63,
Do we know from Ecowitt if it can be used laying down? Would that inhibit its ability to determine distance? or to detect as well?

Also where did you get that clear globe? Is that from Ecowitt too as an accessory? Or is that something you improvised?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
Since the WH57 Lightning sensor is the same size as a WH31 / WH32 I would think that a RS-00001 or other radiation shield might be sufficient to protect it from the elements. That globe though does make it look sort of interesting. It has a certain wow factor to it. I'm not sure though yet how I totally feel about it because I have some questions about how it works, especially laying down. I also wonder if that globe makes it hotter in the summer and how that would affect the electronics.

Tele-Pole

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 09:51:52 AM »
mauro63,
Do we know from Ecowitt if it can be used laying down? Would that inhibit its ability to determine distance? or to detect as well?

Also where did you get that clear globe? Is that from Ecowitt too as an accessory? Or is that something you improvised?

Hi Galfert, the little aerial inside the sensor has a little directivity, so I decided to put the sensor outside on horizontal position, at the moment the upper of the sensor is pointed to the North
the globe, that is absolutely improvised and not good for next summer, so only for the first tests, but it's waterproof, give me the ability to rotate the sensor and I can see the position without unmounting it
sorry Galfert for my English  :sad:

Mauro

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
Hi,

the Ecowitt will eventually register a strike

are you allowed to show us how the lightning is shown in the Ecowitt-data string?
Especially the lightning_time - will this a unix-timestamp (1578667249) or just the ASCII-time yyyy-mm-dd+hh:mm:ss (2020-01-10+14:35:38)?
And - as far as I was able to read the count of lightning will be stored in a field called "lightning_num" and the distance probably in "lightning_dist".
Is this right so far?

I'm writing a program to connect a FOSHK-weather station to smarthome-systems via UDP and would like to prepare this already for the ligtning sensor (which I'll buy as soon as available).

Regards, Oliver

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »
Since the WH57 Lightning sensor is the same size as a WH31 / WH32 I would think that a RS-00001 or other radiation shield might be sufficient to protect it from the elements. That globe though does make it look sort of interesting. It has a certain wow factor to it. I'm not sure though yet how I totally feel about it because I have some questions about how it works, especially laying down. I also wonder if that globe makes it hotter in the summer and how that would affect the electronics.

Absolutely right, these tests are necessary about your questions, it's possible that the vertical position could be better, or not
the globe is absolutely for this start, the next step will be a white tube, horizontal or vertical, I don't know
the most important thing does NOT use metallic parts for bracket or other components near the sensor

Mauro

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 12:12:48 PM »
Its clear from the settings that they expect a difference for indoors versus outdoors reception.
Whether that's for the interference algorithm is unknown.
I had not considered direction either.

Lots of questions to work through!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
Mine also in test from one hour ago  ;)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Mauro

I do not know much about radio frequencies/antenna design. If you added a faraday cage to the bottom half of the ball, would it block ground level interference and only detect radio waves from the sky?

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
The sensor appears to have some settings that users can control. As of now I have chose to leave them default as I received it.

Maybe it would be a better design to set both buttons low for "low sensitivity" and both buttons high for "high sensitivity"? Up for "outdoor" and down for "indoor". If you are holding the sensor in your hand, the top part is pointing to the outdoors.

We have been discussing a lightning symbol flashing on the console display for a set period to indicate lightning activity in the detection area.

Are you referring to the "Lightning icon appears when then Dew Point exceeds 70 oF, which signifies conditions may be possible for lightning storms to form in the area."? Sounds like a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:49:44 PM by 49studebaker »

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
The GW1000 systems in my house have all seen it automatically and added it whilst the HP2551 so far has not.
I am in dialog with Ecowitt but I believe that the firmware is not yet completed that allows the integration of this sensor.

Could they add a "Closest" section? If the closest strike is 1mi and the last strike is 2mi, then the storm is moving away.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »

Could they add a "Closest" section? If the closest strike is 1mi and the last strike is 2mi, then the storm is moving away.

Good idea!
I will suggest that to Lucy.
It could be as simple as a arrow to show strikes getting closer or moving away
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2020, 02:11:43 PM »

Good idea!
I will suggest that to Lucy.
It could be as simple as a arrow to show strikes getting closer or moving away

"Rain" could be removed from "Daily", "Weekly", etc.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
Quick question; on the GW-1000 app, how come I can see  'Day Wind Max' on that screenshot? I don't have that on mine.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2020, 03:10:37 PM »
Quick question; on the GW-1000 app, how come I can see  'Day Wind Max' on that screenshot? I don't have that on mine.

I have Day Wind Max on my WS View. Perhaps you don't have the latest version of the app, or you don't have the latest firmware on the GW1000. My WS View app version on Android is 1.1.36. You can see your app version by going to device settings, Apps, and then finding WS View from the list of installed apps.
Tele-Pole

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
I have the latest app and latest GW firmware - 1.5.5 - that's why I asked.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:28 PM »
Are you referring to the "Lightning icon appears when then Dew Point exceeds 70 oF, which signifies conditions may be possible for lightning storms to form in the area."?
Does it really do that?? T-storms can and do form at all various surface dew points, including below freezing.  :roll:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »

Okay but what about your WS View app version?
Tele-Pole

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2020, 03:28:29 PM »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »

I read that you said you had the latest version but I wanted to know if the latest meant the same or different from mine. Also I'm on Android. Are you also using Android or iOS? I don't have a real answer....I'm just trying to figure out differences that might lead to some revelation.

Tele-Pole

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2020, 04:20:13 PM »
Are you referring to the "Lightning icon appears when then Dew Point exceeds 70 oF, which signifies conditions may be possible for lightning storms to form in the area."?
Does it really do that?? T-storms can and do form at all various surface dew points, including below freezing.  :roll:

It is on page 21 of the ws2000 manual:

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/Manuals/WS-2000.pdf

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2020, 04:28:19 PM »

It is on page 21 of the ws2000 manual:

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/Manuals/WS-2000.pdf

Correction ...page 22.

That icon has already cause many to think that a lightning sensor is built in. Now that a real lightning sensor exists I wonder how many more people will be confused.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:31:01 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything