Author Topic: Has anyone used a mini-itx in there weather setup  (Read 25146 times)

Offline roakey

• Rank amateur
  • Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
Re: Has anyone used a mini-itx in there weather setup
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 04:22:30 PM »
If you're willing to go the off-lease (refurbished) route, you can get an entire system for the cost of an XP license: Off-lease HP desktops at TigerDirect.com.  If the URL deosn't work for you, go to TigerDirect.com and search on "HP XP off-lease desktop".

Roak
roakeyatpikespeakweatherdotcom

Davis Wireless VP2/USB, VWS 14.00p45/WL 5.8.0, XP Pro/SP3 on a mini-ITX nettop

Union & Woodmen, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »
If you're willing to go the off-lease (refurbished) route, you can get an entire system for the cost of an XP license: Off-lease HP desktops at TigerDirect.com.  If the URL deosn't work for you, go to TigerDirect.com and search on "HP XP off-lease desktop".

Roak

Also if you want to go the refurbished route (they also have new stuff) give this site a try get on the mailing list they got nice deals everyday. I've bought from them had good luck..
                     http://www.geeks.com/
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2009, 10:28:21 PM »
Will Windows Mobile (PDAs & Mobile phones) work with a mini-itx? It doesn't require much file space.
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline roakey

• Rank amateur
Intel D945GSEJT
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 07:21:52 AM »
Well, Intel has come out with the board I've been waiting for...  The Intel D945GSEJT is a low-power, slim (less than 1" tall), fanless Atom-based motherboard that maintains a price of less than $120!  Unexpectedly, the power controller is on-board so all you need is a wall-wart that supplies 12V DC and you're good to go!

So you take the D945GSEJT, add a SODIMM, an SSD (to keep the power and heat down), an inexpensive enclosure, a cheap wall-wart and you have about a 15 watt computer!  Add a PCI riser card and a little more power (if necessary) and and you can plug in one PCI card (depending on how much heat the PCI card generates, you may have to add a fan at this point as well -- the board does have fan support).

Unlike its predecessors, this board does not have a serial port on the back, but it does have two COM port headers, so you can add a serial port if your weather station requires one.   If your weather station is USB based, you’ve got three USB ports on the back, which works out perfectly for a mouse, keyboard and your weather station.  Utilizing the USB headers on-board allows up to total of seven USB ports.

Now to find the time to replace my existing D945GCLF with this board to stop the fan whine that’s currently in the living room... :-(

Roak
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 07:24:23 AM by roakey »

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »
The only problem for the average user is this: By the time you add the power adaptor, operating system, maybe a small folding screen and keyboard, it's probably going to cost as much or more than the little Acer netbook you've probably seen me raving about with the Atom processor.  Only drawback to the Acer is the USB to serial adaptor, but only for aesthetic reasons.  If it weren't for that thing poking out so far from the side of the netbook, I would be able to hide the entire thing behind my Davis display console.  I do understand the pleasure derived from the do-it-yourself route though, so I'm not knocking it.  The satisfaction can be so much more.  But my hobby is weather, not computer building, so rather than satisfaction, I'd probably just be frustrated! ;)

Offline roakey

• Rank amateur
You have to pay for low power consumption
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
The only problem for the average user is this...
Agreed, for the average user/application it'd be on the expensive side. But as was discussed in this note sometime back, if you're looking for an ultra-low power consumption setup such that you could actually leave a machine in the field for a longer period of time to gather data with greater resolution than available via the data logger, you have to pay more for less [power consumption]. This new Intel board introduces a lower price-point for a fanless, low-power board than previosuly available.

Standing this up as a headless, keyboardless SSD-based PC would you allow you to operate this off some deep-cycle batteries and a solar panel for quite some time!

Roak
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:19:04 PM by roakey »

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »
 Here are some option for the USB sticking out to far.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=right+angle+usb+adapter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3760020715&ref=pd_sl_15wk8cne26_b

The only problem for the average user is this: By the time you add the power adaptor, operating system, maybe a small folding screen and keyboard, it's probably going to cost as much or more than the little Acer netbook you've probably seen me raving about with the Atom processor.  Only drawback to the Acer is the USB to serial adaptor, but only for aesthetic reasons.  If it weren't for that thing poking out so far from the side of the netbook, I would be able to hide the entire thing behind my Davis display console.  I do understand the pleasure derived from the do-it-yourself route though, so I'm not knocking it.  The satisfaction can be so much more.  But my hobby is weather, not computer building, so rather than satisfaction, I'd probably just be frustrated! ;)
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2009, 10:25:20 PM »
Check this out. I am thinking of heading that direction but only if it will handle 2 drives....1 SSD for O/S and 1 HD for data.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2792/asrock_ion_330_bd_nettop_affordable_overclockable_and_1080p_hd/index.html

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2009, 12:50:58 AM »
Rather costly methinks. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »
This is just launched and price is expected to drop.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2009, 11:18:58 AM »
No serial port either.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!