Author Topic: third party temp sensors  (Read 607 times)

Offline photon_trap

third party temp sensors
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:30:30 PM »
Anyone know specifically if I can a add third party temp sensors to my VP2 wireless anemometer (which has it's own separate wireless transmitter) ?
Specifically, can I use a standard thermocouple such as a type K ?

thanks

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: third party temp sensors
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 08:50:18 PM »
With Davis stations nothing can be added to a VP2 Anemometer transmitter other than an anemometer, even though it looks just like a normal ISS

Offline photon_trap

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 09:42:39 PM »
Ok, thanks much Mattk -  Blood BOILING !  Many thanks Davis, we appreciate things like this. GRRRRR

Offline Dador

• Jejkowice
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 04:17:40 AM »
With Davis stations nothing can be added to a VP2 Anemometer transmitter other than an anemometer, even though it looks just like a normal ISS

Even if we have a WLL that can receive a signal from 8 stations, it won't work either? Do you have any knowledge about it?
I thought if I buy a WLL and add extra temp or pull Solar and UV on the roof and connect to a Davis 6332 it will all work. I'm wrong?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 06:22:49 AM »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 06:28:25 AM »
Even if we have a WLL that can receive a signal from 8 stations, it won't work either? Do you have any knowledge about it?
I thought if I buy a WLL and add extra temp or pull Solar and UV on the roof and connect to a Davis 6332 it will all work. I'm wrong?

Yes, it will work perfectly well if you are receiving data on a WLL (or, presumably, the new 6313 console). It's only the old, now legacy, consoles and Envoys for which the one-ISS rule applies.

Of course, you have to work out how you are going to display and log the data. If you have a Pro account at weatherlink.com then this will take care of logging the data for you (though you still need to nominate one ISS as the primary (or default) display for the wl.com bulletin. But, as far as I am aware (and someone please correct if this info is out of date), current local software cannot accommodate more than one full ISS, though I'm not sure about weewx. But this is a limitation of the third-party software and not eg WLL.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:13:33 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 07:04:55 AM »
But, as far as I am aware (and someone please correct if this info is out of date), current local software cannot accommodate more than one full ISS, though I'm not sure about weewx. But this is a limitation of the third-party software and not eg WLL.

Meteotemplate can map any davis sensor to any meteotemplate field ( trough the davisWLL plugin ), so it can import additional ISS sensors ( though additional wind, rain, solar sensors are not currently used by any blocks ).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:11:26 AM by davidefa »

Offline photon_trap

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 08:41:52 PM »
Thanks to all for the input !    I have WLL so it seems I need to educate myself to Meteotemplate next