Author Topic: Pictures of my new RED amp build  (Read 3937 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: Pictures of my new RED amp build
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 01:09:07 AM »
Alright, second round with the controller.  I think I have everything where it should go, if a couple of folks want to go over it with a critical eye to make sure I didn't swap a resistor here or there it would be appreciated.  This was also a quick render, once everything is done I can run one out with better quality.

Don I did manage to move the diode designators that you commented on, I also tried to figure out something for the ceramic capacitors C49-54 that sit between RN41 and the discovery board riser but there just doesn't seem a good way to do it unless I add then as a text layer in the finished image, possibly overlaid on the riser.  If anyone has ideas I'm more than willing to try things.

Dang Kevin - you do GREAT work! I agree the C49-C54 series of caps does create a problem. How about a thin line leading from each cap to a label that is superimposed on the riser you mentioned. That would show where each particular cap goes.

I won't be able to review, in detail, the components for the next few days or so as I am preoccupied with some stuff here at home this coming week.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Einar

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »
What is the problem?

Either use Fig. 44 in the build instructions. Where you can see where C49-C54 goes. Then you have to look up the component list for the value.

Or use the last shown image in this thread where you can see that those caps are 104, or 100nF. In which case you don't need to know which of them are C49 or C54.

Have the goal in sight: building a correctly stuffed board. Don't fill it up with redundant information if you want to make things easy for the untrained.

I know how untrained minds work. Part of my real job is to make some of those into trained minds. ;-)
And redundant information does not help.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 05:21:22 AM »
Barring any component adjustments this should be the final render of the controller.  Also finished the preamp for the E-field system, I'll get the amplifier started next weekend.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 08:23:22 AM »
Had a bit of time the other night to get a start on the E-field amp, next thing I knew I was almost done!  Repetition among components from the various boards really made this one go fast.  I just got my E-field kit yesterday and had a short time to check components so here is a first-pass on the v13 amplifier.  I'll be using these images along with Don M's instructions to put my kit together this next weekend so the amp and pre-amp images may get updated - stay tuned!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:30:13 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Another nice job Kevin!

I'll begin incorporating your drawings into my build documents.

Will also make a few misc typo corrections that don't impact the building steps.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 03:54:12 AM »
After having a chance to do my E-field build with the images I have decided to add text labels for the values on the resistors, inductors and electrolytic capacitors.  This was prompted by a cyan cartridge that would not work so the colors in my print-outs came out a bit off; the culprit was later determined to be a ID10T error on my part - when I installed the cartridge I forgot to remove the small piece of tape that covers the air hole so there was no ink coming out  ](*,)  But after writing the values on my printed copy I figured it would be a helpful addition in case others had similar problems or if someone building a kit has some form of color blindness that prevents them from seeing the color bands properly (I know red-green is the most common form in men).  As far as the electrolytic capacitors go it's simply a matter of not being able to see the values that are clearly marked on the components when seen from an end-on view. 

Amp 12.3 attached:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 03:57:32 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »
Controller 10.4
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:00 AM »
Amp 13 and Preamp 14
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:00:52 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »
Very nice Kevin!  =D>

I'll start updating my build documents so they include your wonderful images. It will be a couple weeks before I can complete them but I'll post an update once I am done. Lately, life has been getting in the way of my weather and lightning hobbies...  ](*,)

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
Don, no worries about the time. I've been dealing with life myself and just had some spare time to do these updates.  One item to note: I put an asterisk beside the 47ohm resistor values since they have been shipping the latest kits with different values (49.9ohm).  You might want to add a note that some component values may be different than what is given in the official documentation and if there is a concern to check one of the forums.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:40:58 AM by corwyyn »
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 03:33:06 PM »
I've already made a 'note to self' to do just that when I make the updates along with a couple other changes that need to be made. I'm also going to place the full-size images on my website so folks can download them and print them out, if desired.

anything