Poll

Do you experience noise that causes intereference mode?

It is so quiet that they could locate the VLA here.
2 (28.6%)
Low level noise that I adjusted out and don't need to touch the gain any more.
1 (14.3%)
I get intermittent noise sources that force me to change the gain and/or threshold.
4 (57.1%)
Really bad noise problems. Can't get rid of it.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: August 31, 2013, 10:38:34 AM

Author Topic: Noise caused Interference Mode  (Read 1667 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Noise caused Interference Mode
« on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:34 AM »
I am wondering if I am the only one with ongoing noise issues. I got the local utility to reduce it somewhat, but there are noise sources that come and go.

Sometimes I can really crank up the gain on RED, other times I need to reduce it to eliminate the constant triggering on noise.

What is your situation in regards to interfering noise?

(I am open to suggestions on the question categories)

*The VLA refers to the "Very Large Array" Radio Telescope in NM. It was located where it was since it is far from man-made noise sources. A bit of geek humor on my part. :lol:

Greg H.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:51:14 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Noise caused Interference Mode
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:54:57 AM »
I found that the shielding on both the loops and ferrites really helps reduce capacitively-coupled inductive noise sources, like power-line hum. Monitoring with my headphone amp, I can hear a very low-level hum and the occasional faint whir of a distant vacuum cleaner or blender motor. They are not even close to being strong enough to trigger a detection. We do have an underground electrical distribution system in my area, which probably really helps.

There is also a bit of low-level processor noise from the controller that I can hear, as my controller is about two meters from the antennas at the moment.

When I used to work 40 meter CW, there was a HV distribution transformer a few blocks away with arcing insulators that completely overwhelmed the band. A letter to the FCC with a copy to the Commonwealth Edison engineering department got the issue solved in a hurry.

I used a transistor radio tuned to a dead portion of the AM band to locate the arcing transformer insulator. That might work for you. The ferrite antenna in the AM radio makes a pretty good direction finder.

Some area have Internet over power line distribution (BPL) that can really kick up lots of interference.

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »
To clarify is this vote for both the system Red and older Green boards? I'm aiming to get the VLA moved to my front garden :)
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:58:28 AM »
Either system. RED or GREEN, Loops, Panels, or Ferrites.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
I'm working on an idea... if I get everything else that Murphy's thrown at me out of the way.... (once you're infected, he lies dormant, then flares up, you know).
This week it's house guests, refrigerators, and misc contusions...  :-({|=

Offline Timay

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
Plasma TVs are horrible noise sources... :evil:  I can tell when my neighbor turns on his TV by turning on my HF radio (ham) - it completely swamps my receiver on 80 meters, I have not checked 160 meters.

Tim
Vantage Vue
Centennial, Colorado

anything