Author Topic: RED system kit on order...  (Read 5196 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
RED system kit on order...
« on: August 23, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
You silver tongued devils.. you are having so much fun with Blitzortung that I just couldn't resist joining in and picking up a soldering iron after a 40 year hiatus.  I've sent payment to Egon for a kit today, and visited Fry's Electronics to pick up the tools/stuff needed.  Seems my son had been raiding my tools over the years, and the electronic stuff was strangely missing.. go figure.  Anyway, I now have a temperature-controlled soldering station (replacing my ancient Weller/non temp controlled).  If I can just get my Panaflex circuit board vice back from him, I'll be set.

I'll keep you posted on the build when the kit arrives.  Thanks to all who've populated the Blitzortung board with great questions and answers .. I feel better prepared to embark on this do-it-yourself project thanks to your shared knowledge!

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline carseman

• WH 1081 Weather Display Win XP
    • CarseWeather
Re: RED system kit on order...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
Ken,
Welcome to the "Blitzortung gang" - I look forward to seeing a wxblitz.php template  :grin:

Chris

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
If anybody should be on net with us, it's you Ken!...
Yep, we've had a lot of fun blasting back and forth on this and a couple other forums.
The build isn't as difficult as it might seem, especially since many of us have already made the goofs and reported the fixes and 'don't do's".

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »
 =D>
Ken,
Welcome to the "Blitzortung gang" - I look forward to seeing a wxblitz.php template  :grin:

Chris
Easy Chris... let 'im build 'is kit first!

Offline carseman

• WH 1081 Weather Display Win XP
    • CarseWeather
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:36:48 PM »
=D>
It is just coincidence that Ken now posts about joining Blitzortung.  I am today having problems integrating MyLightningDetection into my template site. I will not go into it further at the moment as I do not want to distract Ken from getting his RED up and running.

My own RED system is "in the post" and will sit along my 6.8 system.

Chris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
=D>
It is just coincidence that Ken now posts about joining Blitzortung.  I am today having problems integrating MyLightningDetection into my template site. I will not go into it further at the moment as I do not want to distract Ken from getting his RED up and running.

Chris
Don's got the old version running stand-alone http://projectmf.homelinux.com/mylightningdetection/ without any integration but both of us are kinda holding off until Tobi and Egon and the crew get all the nuts and bolts in place... Tobi implies a lot of new code to integrate Red...

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
You silver tongued devils.. you are having so much fun with Blitzortung that I just couldn't resist joining in and picking up a soldering iron after a 40 year hiatus.  I've sent payment to Egon for a kit today, and visited Fry's Electronics to pick up the tools/stuff needed.  Seems my son had been raiding my tools over the years, and the electronic stuff was strangely missing.. go figure.  Anyway, I now have a temperature-controlled soldering station (replacing my ancient Weller/non temp controlled).  If I can just get my Panaflex circuit board vice back from him, I'll be set.

I'll keep you posted on the build when the kit arrives.  Thanks to all who've populated the Blitzortung board with great questions and answers .. I feel better prepared to embark on this do-it-yourself project thanks to your shared knowledge!

Best regards,
Ken
It's good to see somebody else got sucked into this adventure, Ken.  I'm awaiting my RED system kit which should be here in another week.  My last fling at extensive soldering was my Heathkit ID-5001 I assembled on a card table in my family room, and that was nigh on 25 yrs. ago.  The RED system looks like finer work for my now older eyes and hands.  I just ordered some helper tools on Amazon.com Prime, and when everything arrives I'll pore over all of the instructions, posts, and photos I can find before setting heat and solder to anything.

I think this is an incredible project spearheaded by a very enthusiastic group with results that are almost unbelievable.  I've got to try to join in, too.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:49:59 PM »
Glad you guys could join us. :grin:  Seriously, the hardest part for me was soldering the SMD's and the GPS onto the board, plus reading the gray print on a black background on the IC's. If you'll follow FloridaKen tips on the Blitzortung board, you'll have no issues. I did meter every resistor, though. Reading the color bands on the resistors with a blue background does not work well. Very difficult to distinguish colors.

Building the version 2 flat panel antenna was pretty easy, though. I like the idea of hiding it in a plastic garbage can. Less conspicuous that way.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
Yep.. I was expecting to do a template page for the display of Blitzortung data, but I'll need to get, build, install my RED system first.

Love this weather hobby.. always new projects coming up :)
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
I just got the new version (just released) going. The stats and station selection don't work, but the maps are fine. There is some basic strike data and graphs available.

Don

=D>

Chris
Don's got the old version running stand-alone http://projectmf.homelinux.com/mylightningdetection/ without any integration but both of us are kinda holding off until Tobi and Egon and the crew get all the nuts and bolts in place... Tobi implies a lot of new code to integrate Red...

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »
I placed my order today as well. Reported this on another post.

Does anyone know how many red systems are up and running in the US?
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 11:17:12 PM »

I believe 9 Reds, as of the moment, and 10 older greens, with additional two stations offline, as of 11:16pm EDT tonight...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:19:04 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »
WELCOME KEN -  \:D/ =D>

Glad to see you've pulled the trigger too. If we can only convince Chris (SLOWeather) to do the same then we'll have some pretty good fixes for west coast lightning. There is already a RED system in El Dorado Hills, Ca and another north of me in Sparks that is in the assembly phase like I am.

I'm in the process of finishing up my Ver2 of the panel loop antenna and hope to be finished this weekend. Then, once my anti-static mat and some miscellaneous tools arrive, I'll begin inventorying and assembling the kit. With our inherently low humidity levels here (5-20% RH) I don't want to take a chance on destroying an IC so will wait until the anti-static mat arrives to do anything with the kit components.

Unfortunately, I may get interrupted in the middle of this building. My brother-in-law in North Carolina just passed away after cancer surgery and I may have to make a trip back there to help my sister move closer to her daughter in Kentucky. The move was in the works but the discovery of him having stomach cancer and then surgery obviously wasn't in the plan for them. I won't know the exact timing for another few weeks.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 06:20:40 AM »

I believe 9 Reds, as of the moment, and 10 older greens, with additional two stations offline, as of 11:16pm EDT tonight...

Thanks Cutty

Baed on all of the discussions that number will grow pretty quickly.
WeatherLink Live

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »
Just received the "It's shipped" email from Egon.   :grin:
WeatherLink Live

Offline magiraffe

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:18 PM »
FYI...just got an email saying Radio Shack has 30% of all their Pro-Line Tools for a limited time...

Nancy
Growing older is mandatory
Growing up is optional!!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
I received word from Egon that my RED kit has shipped and would take about 10 days to arrive.  <like kid waiting for Christmas morning>

I've got all the tools needed, but thanks for the info Nancy .. I did pick up a couple of things at Radio Shack already.

So, for reference, here's my tool kit at ready:

Soldering station (digital temperature control) Hakko FX-888D  from Frys
Panavice PC board workstation (from Frys)
Extech digital multimeter and red/black mini-hook probes(from Frys)
Small flush-cut pliers
Small short nose pliers
X-lock tweezers (self locking)
Solder aid tool kit (heat sink, etc.)
Solder (63/37 and 62/36/2)
Solder wick, spudger kit, flux pen, SMD removal kit, desolder pump (Still locating the Flux Off can .. none at Frys)
Anti-static mat+wrist cable
Assorted size shrink-wrap and low-cost heater tool
22gauge solid tinned copper hookup wire in various colors
binocular magnifier (head-worn w/LED lights)
lots of light for older eyes :)

Best regards,
Ken

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
Ken,

(Still locating the Flux Off can .. none at Frys)

I bought mine from this outfit. They ship really quickly from Ohio to Michigan. I have had good service with them.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-1960

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
I received word from Egon that my RED kit has shipped and would take about 10 days to arrive.  <like kid waiting for Christmas morning>

I've got all the tools needed, but thanks for the info Nancy .. I did pick up a couple of things at Radio Shack already.

So, for reference, here's my tool kit at ready:

Soldering station (digital temperature control) Hakko FX-888D  from Frys
Panavice PC board workstation (from Frys)
Extech digital multimeter and red/black mini-hook probes(from Frys)
Small flush-cut pliers
Small short nose pliers
X-lock tweezers (self locking)
Solder aid tool kit (heat sink, etc.)
Solder (63/37 and 62/36/2)
Solder wick, spudger kit, flux pen, SMD removal kit, desolder pump (Still locating the Flux Off can .. none at Frys)
Anti-static mat+wrist cable
Assorted size shrink-wrap and low-cost heater tool
22gauge solid tinned copper hookup wire in various colors
binocular magnifier (head-worn w/LED lights)
lots of light for older eyes :)

Best regards,
Ken
I have no clue how I got mine built in two hours with linesman's pliers, radiator solder and a propane torch... :twisted:

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »
I'd add a flux pen to the kit. Prepping the SMD pads of the op-amps and GPS module with this prior to soldering really helps flow the solder with minimum heat/contact time.

I used the white, round container of rosin flux gel from Radio Shack - it does the same thing. Just apply with a cotton swab.

Don

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
Ken,

I'm jealous that you have so many Fry's close-by. I didn't get started on this Blitzortung kick until AFTER I returned from San Jose a month or two ago. Just wish I had known exactly what I would have needed then. Oh well, most stuff ships pretty quickly so the wait hasn't been too bad. I just miss the browsing of the aisles and seeing all the goodies at Fry's... I hope to have the rest of my tools this week or next then I can get started on the RED kit assembly.

I did pick up a white plastic tub of the Radio Shack solder flux to use. My old flux had turned to liquid and I didn't want to take a chance using it.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »
Hi All,

Congrats to all the kit builders over here.  I was thinking about this project but kinda nixed the idea because of my location out here in the Pacific.  Rare Lightning Storms for one and the not having a good triangulation to put a fix on the storm location.

A bit of suggestion about using flux.  Too much flux can cause some issues, flowing too much away from where solder is not needed. If you are in a high humidity area, the fluxed area can be corrosive in time, so a good cleaner to wash away any residue of flux.  I used acetone with a good brush whenever possible to wash away flux in the pre-surface mount components, so I don't know how acetone will affect the "modern" components, especially plastic parts.

Good luck with this project to all.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline WB0VHB

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
Can someone tell me how to buy a kit or what the price is? 
I found the web page and sent emails but have not received a reply.

Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 07:34:23 PM »
Can someone tell me how to buy a kit or what the price is? 
I found the web page and sent emails but have not received a reply.

Randy

Randy,

Based on some earlier messages, Egon, who handles the orders is on vacation and won't be back until around September 10. If you have sent your email, I would suggest just being patient until he gets back. Egon is very good about responding to questions and orders. Your timing just happens to be bad. Did you go to the http://blitzortung.org webpage (Cover your Area tab) and submit your information request from there? If not, that is where you have to initiate the request.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »
Hi All,

Congrats to all the kit builders over here.  I was thinking about this project but kinda nixed the idea because of my location out here in the Pacific.  Rare Lightning Storms for one and the not having a good triangulation to put a fix on the storm location.

A bit of suggestion about using flux.  Too much flux can cause some issues, flowing too much away from where solder is not needed. If you are in a high humidity area, the fluxed area can be corrosive in time, so a good cleaner to wash away any residue of flux.  I used acetone with a good brush whenever possible to wash away flux in the pre-surface mount components, so I don't know how acetone will affect the "modern" components, especially plastic parts.

Good luck with this project to all.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan,

You need to go on a "new WXFORUM member" campaign for the islands! It would be great to have more Hawaiian feeds. I can't believe there aren't plenty of Davis VP2 users in Hawaii. All you need is a few more sensors to be able to get Blitzortung coordinates. However, as I remember it, while living in the islands (on the windward side of Oahu ) we had very little in the way of lightning activity.

There is a possibility that, as we install Blitzortung systems on the west coast of the US mainland, we may begin detecting some Hawaiian activity. The sensor range is great and all it takes is for four or more stations to capture a strike and be plotted. Only time will tell us an answer to that question.

Anyway - great website you have!

anything