Weather Station Hardware > Barani Design Weather Stations and Accessories

Forwarding and publishing of weather data

<< < (2/2)

Julius:
My point is; People are no longer buying weather stations and sensor hardware when they can't quickly and easily view and/or show its data output online. Of course, you can write entire python constructs, use numerous micro-servers to bind all your sensors into one overview for a website, but still, with the amount of different sources out there, this gets to be a very tedious task. You want it to work, without having to build your own API or ftp storage site etc. I think way too few brands realize this.

Mattk:
Well depends on how much you want to pay for what are no doubt propriety services that someone has spent countless hours writing entire python scripts, binding multiple servers, yes this is a very tedious task and probably not something anybody is going to hand over for nothing. Not sure what is really being expected but if it's a free lunch then not going to happen.

johnd:

--- Quote from: Mattk on April 08, 2021, 05:25:59 AM ---Well depends on how much you want to pay for what are no doubt propriety services that someone has spent countless hours writing entire python scripts, binding multiple servers, yes this is a very tedious task and probably not something anybody is going to hand over for nothing. Not sure what is really being expected but if it's a free lunch then not going to happen.

--- End quote ---

There's also the issue that users will never agree on exactly which presentational features they need and how they should best be presented. In some ways it's a good solution to have a feed of the basic data available in some well-documented format and allow the user to commission the final step of designing the presentation according to their own preferences. This is obviously one of the approaches that Davis are providing with the v2 API of weatherlink.com. (Yes, they also have the presentations available on the wl.com platform but I'm sure they know well that whatever they do is not going to please everyone.)

I guess the ideal solution is for there to be enough paying customers worldwide for the final presentation layer that it might pay software houses to provide 2 or 3 different designs to suit different sets of user requirements. but I can't see that happening.

Julius:

--- Quote from: johnd on April 09, 2021, 09:23:37 AM ---There's also the issue that users will never agree on exactly which presentational features they need and how they should best be presented. In some ways it's a good solution to have a feed of the basic data available in some well-documented format and allow the user to commission the final step of designing the presentation according to their own preferences.
--- End quote ---
Well, this is precisely what - for example - the Weather Station plugin by Pierre Lanoy for wordpress tries to achieve, and what WeeWX and the MeteoBridge Pro with weather34 come very close to achieving, giving the user full control of that, within the available parameters to use. I've literally been messing with about every package out there, relating to sensor-data presentation, but those 3 I just mentioned have it down to the tee, if only someone could have those 3 join forces and perhaps even standardize what they're willing to work with, especially where the input value syntaxes are concerned, so that most big brands tailor to that standard. Those vendor lock-in features are the death of usability, it's so frustrating to have to encounter that time and again.
In the network-/server- and computer/datacenter monitoring you can clearly see things slowly culminate towards open standards, which then are used by packages like netdata and grafana, and in the end everybody more or less wants the same flexibility in presentation, which is why both their user bases have exploded the last 10 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version