Weather Related Organizations > SKYWARN

Spotter "Levels"

<< < (2/2)

k8cpa:

--- Quote from: N8BMB on July 14, 2014, 07:42:46 AM ---
Now, when the HWO says "spotter activation may be needed", it is this group of spotters that is its intended target.  When the Storm Prediction Center (who issues WATCHES) issues a WATCH for a particular area, most A.R.P.S.C. groups in that area put their skywarn program into "stand-by mode".  This simply means that the spotters in that area have been notified of possible severe weather in their area sometime in the period stated in the watch.  Hams, of course, use radios for their activities and almost all NWS offices have an Amateur Radio Station set up in their office.  In most cases, then, there is a network of linked repeaters that are connected and given a certain name or acronym - here in Michigan, it is called M.I.C.O.N. - Michigan Inter-county COmmunications Network and in Tennessee it was called M.T.E.A.R.S. - Middle Tennessee Emergency Amateur Radio System - and these systems or networks are also put into stand-by.  When the possibility of severe weather is very high, the network is "activated" by the NWS by several means.  Usually though, people affiliated with this network are either text notified or paged that the NWS office is requesting spotter activation.

--- End quote ---

Just to add, here in Michigan, reports come in via Local Skywarn nets, then are relayed to MICON via a "key station" which is someone who checks into that net as a County Rep. Then info is given to NWS.  8-) [tup]

Jasiu:
I'm the in the Boston / Norton MA office area and since I'm not a radio person, I (along with a lot of other people) use a dedicated Twitter feed (@WX1BOX) which both lets us know about activations and retweets reports. We also get activation emails and there is on online form for reports.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version