Author Topic: Should I create a new Device/Station?  (Read 406 times)

Offline emergent

Should I create a new Device/Station?
« on: March 13, 2020, 09:23:55 AM »
I have a Vantage Pro 2 Plus, that I pretty much only use to upload data to Wunderground. I've been having issues with it intermittently and have had the UV and suns sensor not working a few times a month for days at a time. I've finally found the issue, and it's that someone else must have a Vantage Pro 2 as well located within 1000 feet of mine, so my receiver has been getting data from this unit (which must not have the UV/sun sensor) instead of mine. I've moved mine to a new channel and have had no issues since then. For the past year, my weather station has been getting data from another weather station located somewhere else though.

Should I delete my weather station at this point from Wunderground and start over since the data isn't that reliable?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Should I create a new Device/Station?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 09:30:19 AM »
That is up to you to decide how you use the data. I would say that the other station might very well have good relevant data since it is only within 1000 ft away.

But if you look at this historic data and you see that the other station had a bad humidity sensor, then there might be reason to ditch the current WU ID. That is still up to you though.

It would be good to know how old your WU ID is. If we are talking just a couple months then it is not so bad to start over. But if you have years of data I would keep it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 09:32:00 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »
One other thing to consider. Old WU Station IDs are grandfathered into allowing location name to be displayed. I don't know if this issue is resolved where new stations are allowed to be named. The issue is that new stations only show up as being named automatically by the town/city name and whatever you enter for location name never shows on the station dashboard page. Again, I'm saying this was an issue that I don't know has been rectified. So if you start new WU ID, you may not be able to name it.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulHutch

• Paul Hutchinson's web site
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
One other thing to consider. Old WU Station IDs are grandfathered into allowing location name to be displayed. I don't know if this issue is resolved where new stations are allowed to be named. The issue is that new stations only show up as being named automatically by the town/city name and whatever you enter for location name never shows on the station dashboard page. Again, I'm saying this was an issue that I don't know has been rectified. So if you start new WU ID, you may not be able to name it.

A friend of mine added a station last week and the custom name shows on the dashboard. I suspect that like my newer stations the custom station will not show on Wundermap (my friends new station does not show at all on Wundermap so I'm not sure)

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 01:32:32 PM »
1000 feet isn't enough to cause a variation in readings more than the accuracy of the devices doing the reading, so unless there is some other reason to start over, don't.