Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57863 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2020, 07:41:01 AM »
Looks like all sporting events are canceled now they even played the Nebraska state championship BB games without fans only allowing immediate family members this past Saturday but one thing the virus can't cancel is my enthusiasm for the weather.  :grin:
Randy

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2020, 08:51:34 AM »
... one thing the virus can't cancel is my enthusiasm for the weather.  :grin:

Hopefully warmer weather will diminish covid-19 just like it does with the seasonal flu.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 09:33:14 PM by BeaverMeadow »

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
So much for this travel ban. Not seeing the number of planes decrease from a couple days ago. See my previous post on this thread for a comparison before the travel ban.

Many of the EU airports have a "use it or loose it" rule for the routes. I do not recall if that applied to domestic or international flights or both. Might be empty planes flying. I'll see if I can find the reference I read on this. 
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Ecowitt 3501 | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge/WeatherBridge
AmbientWeather.net
PWSweather: KMTSTEVE24
https://casskalinski.slickpic.com

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 10:24:24 AM »
This has been around since the 1960's!

Coronaviruses were first discovered in the 1960s.

Saying "coronavirus" is almost analogous to saying "bird".  Lots of difference between a sparrow and a hawk. Wise to consider this one might have more of a bite than some of the others.

AmbientWeather.net

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
So much for this travel ban. Not seeing the number of planes decrease from a couple days ago. See my previous post on this thread for a comparison before the travel ban.

Many of the EU airports have a "use it or loose it" rule for the routes. I do not recall if that applied to domestic or international flights or both. Might be empty planes flying. I'll see if I can find the reference I read on this.

The article...
https://www.secretflying.com/posts/airlines-running-ghost-flights-to-hold-on-to-use-them-or-lose-them-airport-slots/

BUT so much for that theory on the graphics...
https://www.secretflying.com/posts/eu-suspends-use-it-or-lose-it-airport-slot-rule/

AmbientWeather.net

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
Watched an interview of a woman today, she and the husband were on a cruise ship both tested positive but were asymptomatic (showing no signs) even the husband had serious other issues but had no signs of the virus.
The husband is still in quarantine after 3 weeks because he is still showing positive.

This virus is a strange one for sure asymptomatic for some while deadly for others. I'm hearing there are two different strains at least so it has mutated at least one time. I take it they had the less dangerous strain as the virus mutates its usually not as bad because the virus tries to stay alive and not kill the host.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 12:33:23 PM »
 At my local Walmart this morning, toilet paper was still totally sold out and now paper towels are out, too. Clorox bleach is running low with cheaper generic sold out.  I was mainly shopping for food and had everything I wanted.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
At my local Walmart this morning, toilet paper was still totally sold out and now paper towels are out, too. Clorox bleach is running low with cheaper generic sold out.  I was mainly shopping for food and had everything I wanted.

My sister is in the planning stages of a bathroom remodel and the owner of the store she's dealing with said that all of a sudden people are asking about getting bidets installed.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
Feeling fortunate living in a lower populated area. We still have lots of food for some reason exception fresh vegetables and fruits are low that could be a supply issue, however. Even IGA had toilet paper on sale yesterday as you enter the store.

Meanwhile, Houston area 4 million people where much of family lives is a nightmare. One daughter told me every store is empty they can only stay open for about 6 hours and then close down to restock which takes about 18 hours. Lines outside are in the 1000's waiting for doors to open at places like Walmart, Costco, Sams.

Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »
My sister is in the planning stages of a bathroom remodel and the owner of the store she's dealing with said that all of a sudden people are asking about getting bidets installed.
I was ahead of the curve in that I ordered a bidet toilet seat from Costco 2 weeks ago.  A handyman adroitly installed it and the needed GFI electrical outlet on Friday.  He also serviced my chimney-mounted Vantage Pro2+ and Vantage Vue along with several other chores like replacing my Moen kitchen faucet with a Kohler I had on hand, again from Costco circa 2018.

Try wiping peanut butter from a hardwood floor with just dry paper towels.  (Good luck with that.)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
Feeling fortunate living in a lower populated area. We still have lots of food for some reason exception fresh vegetables and fruits are low that could be a supply issue, however. Even IGA had toilet paper on sale yesterday as you enter the store.

Meanwhile, Houston area 4 million people where much of family lives is a nightmare. One daughter told me every store is empty they can only stay open for about 6 hours and then close down to restock which takes about 18 hours. Lines outside are in the 1000's waiting for doors to open at places like Walmart, Costco, Sams.

We average about 5 people per sq mile in this county, about 1,000 sq miles.  Our county  seat grocery store looked like it had been hit by blizzard fever. There were a lot more than average numbers roaming the aisles today when I was there. Low to nothing left in the paper aisle; frozen veg section, sanitizers of all kinds missing; fresh veg/produce varied, but a lot of bare spaces. Restocking is usually on Tuesday, but this is way not normal for our store.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
Hopefully warmer weather will diminish corvis-19 just like it does with the seasonal flu.

What were the average temperatures in Tehran last week?  Iran has a huge infection, and I'm too busy patching up work-from-home stuff to look and see for myself.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2020, 04:49:21 PM »
Looks like all sporting events are canceled now
I'm already jonesing, and I'm sure I'm not alone and we've just started. MLB just stated they won't even attempt to start play til mid-May. Frankly, I'm even dubious about that. Maybe sports will resume initially without fans in attendance...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2020, 05:50:04 PM »
I hear ya about the sports.
The only problem is the weather sucks too. Nothing to look forward too. It's like the virus took all the fronts away.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:12 PM »
The only problem is the weather sucks too. Nothing to look forward too. It's like the virus took all the fronts away.
Not for my neck of the woods. Rain Wednesday with decent shot at T-storms as the upper low of the coast showing a very nice cold core. \:D/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
Weather is giving some entertainment at least.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2020, 06:49:33 PM »
Good for you guys. 86 plus here for a while.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2020, 10:19:08 PM »
Tomorrow (17-Mar-2020) the shelter-in-place health order for 7 SF Bay Counties (6+Million people) begins for 3 weeks.
Grocery, Pharmacy, Gas, Banks remain open.  Restaurants for take-out only. Bars and other businesses close.

We're hunkering down here in Saratoga (Santa Clara County).  The toilet paper madness hit our local Safeway and Costco.
Surprisingly, we have plenty on hand from one normal purchase at Costco two weeks ago to last for 2 more months :)
Stay healthy, all!
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
Hopefully warmer weather will diminish covid-19 just like it does with the seasonal flu.

What were the average temperatures in Tehran last week?  Iran has a huge infection, and I'm too busy patching up work-from-home stuff to look and see for myself.....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2020, 02:41:45 AM »
doesnt look like the warmer weather theory is plausible ..

Sharp rise in South East Asia

Jonathan Head
BBC South East Asia Correspondent
The sudden rise in coronavirus infections in several South-east Asian countries has dimmed hopes that warmer weather might slow the spread in this region.

Malaysia recorded the sharpest rise on Monday, 190 new infections, bringing the total to 428. The new government has imposed the strictest lockdown in the region, banning Malaysians from travelling overseas and foreign visitor entry, closing all schools, universities, places of worship and most businesses for two weeks.

Thailand saw sharp rises over the weekend to a total of 147 cases.

In both Malaysia and Thailand new infection spikes are being linked to specific mass gatherings of people.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 03:30:51 AM »
I had this long conversation with several people living here yesterday that think the virus has been around since January. It has caused pneumonia in many including a family of 4 all getting really sick at the same time. Very unusual when 3 family members get hospitalized at the same time with pneumonia. When I asked about Influenza that was the kicker all showed negative and all had the same symptoms being described now as Covid 19.

Other people have been saying when they got sick this year it was the worst cases of the flu ever but few if any were actually tested to confirm they had the Influenza.

When I was arguing about what about the reports out of China and Italy of 350 deaths a day they said many have died here also of unexplained pneumonia even one person said their mother passed away but there was no testing or kits available.

So there is a group of people locally at least that think we are being duped to collapse the economy with all these closures and cancellations and the Coronavirus has been here since at least January.

I'm still skeptical but WOW, what if?
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2020, 04:38:54 AM »
One thing for sure, we'll all find out..one way or the other.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 04:53:54 AM »
One thing for sure, we'll all find out..one way or the other.

Yep,  my sentiments also. If they are right its been around for a few months and doesn't get much worse we may have already peaked. Cases will rise of course because we now have testing. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 05:26:09 AM »
[youtube]https://youtu.be/zfjcEiW-Rzc[/youtube]
Randy

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2020, 06:36:03 AM »
Dr. Drew above has it almost right, but the medical community has dropped the ball on testing.  Only looking for viral shedding in those individuals who display active symptoms of fever and cough is like fencing hogs with two strands of barbed wire a la cattle.  It doesn't work at all because the asymptomatic carriers you're not looking for are wandering the world undetected and unhindered.  The epidemiologists and infectious disease mavens have conned us into thinking they know what they're doing while in reality the disease has been roaming unchecked for an undetermined amount of time.  Yet the 'experts' haven't acknowledged this obvious fact!

Only testing for past disease with a specific antigen-antibody serological test will reveal the true extend of COVID-19's global spread.  Testing for current viral shedding in people with symptoms is like trying to stop a rainstorm with a tennis racket.  You may keep hail off, but you're still getting soaked.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:39:30 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com