Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57570 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #1150 on: April 18, 2021, 07:28:06 PM »
That such simple public health items can be so vehemently resisted/politicized is something I don't understand.
Because "Dr." Fauci is a nothing more than a political mouth piece that say what his "handlers" tell him to say and craves the limelight. He's waffled more than IHOP. Isn't it funny that the "left" states that are still locked down are continually seeing the jump while the "red" states have kids in school, no mask requirement, ect. and life is "somewhat" returning to normal and Covid is dropping like a rock. Hmmmm...now that sounds like science to me, and you'll be hard pressed to see MSM telling it "like it is". It's not the narrative. It's not control.
For a long time I have thought that the statistics presented are manipulated.   In Iowa the greatest number of people testing positive are the 18-29 year olds.  The old folks seem to have either mitigated or died off. However,  why is it a problem to decide what to do.  It is akin to selection of what brand of toilet paper to get.  As long as it isn't corn cobs, it is fine. (unless you have a septic system, then you have to be careful).   Sorry environmental geology kicking in, dang graduate school.    Wear the mask, don't wear the mask,   superspread, don't super spread.   Look the country is opening up. People need to work and some precautions need to happen.   

When my grandfather came to this country, there was a 4th of July parade.  Someone on a float asked my grandpa if he would come up with the "other Americans," He was a naturalized citizen back in the 1900s,  he replied, "No, thankyou.  I think I will stand here and enjoy the parade. But for sure I am going to keep my eye on the SOB waving our flag." 

Same deal,  Some in the military may have taken the oath of protecting the constitution from foreign and domestic, but they more sure wore protection in combat areas, because they were told to and they were afraid on the consequences of not doing that.  So what is so wrong with being asked to wear a cool mask in public crowds, you can take it off in your car, your house, your property, boat, plane, what ever.   I don't see the problem.

You know if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1151 on: April 18, 2021, 07:35:30 PM »
That such simple public health items can be so vehemently resisted/politicized is something I don't understand.
Because "Dr." Fauci is a nothing more than a political mouth piece that say what his "handlers" tell him to say and craves the limelight. He's waffled more than IHOP. Isn't it funny that the "left" states that are still locked down are continually seeing the jump while the "red" states have kids in school, no mask requirement, ect. and life is "somewhat" returning to normal and Covid is dropping like a rock. Hmmmm...now that sounds like science to me, and you'll be hard pressed to see MSM telling it "like it is". It's not the narrative. It's not control.
You know if you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.
You damn sure at least got that right.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #1152 on: April 18, 2021, 07:37:47 PM »
I find it somewhat amusing that the slurs you espouse about Dr. Fauci are the same as espoused by the opinion shows on multiple media outlets.

Dr. Fauci has years of experience actually fighting disease.  He doesn't have 'handlers' nor does he 'crave the limelight' -- he appears often in media to continue expressing the current policies based on science.  Yes, he'd changed from 'no masks' to 'yes masks' as the former was to prevent a run on the limited PPE quantities and reserve them for hospital workers, and the position changed when science showed mask wearing to reduce the spread and additional PPE quantities became available.

Your empirical conclusions about government entities applying strict v.s. lax public health measures really needs some data to back that up.
I find Johns Hopkins to be a good source of current Covid19 data.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1153 on: April 18, 2021, 07:42:34 PM »
That's right....get fully vaccinated and STILL wear a mask and LOCK DOWN baby....LOCK DOWN.

China will own us before Joey has to take the 25th.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1154 on: April 18, 2021, 07:47:09 PM »
I see Oregon is considering making it permanent. That's where it goes from here. The only problem with all this is that they all look around and see that Texas doesn't believe in all that malarkey, is doing fine and want to move down here and of course bring all their bad habits with them - ha.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1155 on: April 18, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
A question and assertion.

If masks are totally useless, what is it that has caused me to see not one case of even sniffles of any kind for over one year now? Not me or anybody I know.

If it is not the masks, tell me what it is and I will do it diligently.

I still assert that any claims of efficacy of any measure in the general population cannot be used in any argument. We have no data to assess what the level of compliance was to any order.

A mask may be ciritcized for not stopping small particles but does it not seem locgial that it will stop large droplets containing many small particles within them?

Aerosol is not covered though I think. Masks need to fit better.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1156 on: April 18, 2021, 07:52:37 PM »
Texas is being paraded as great?

Still 9th state on new cases and rigth on par with national cases/million...

Just average I would say.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1157 on: April 18, 2021, 08:02:20 PM »
Sorry, I have zero confidence in any of the reporting these days, it's all been politicized to the point it's useless.

After 78 years I can generally tell if I feel good or bad. I have a thermometer laying right in front of my keyboard, if I felt bad, had a reduced sense of smell or taste and even a single degree of temperature increase I'd not go out in public until I figured out what the problem was. When you talk about droplets, you're talking about a serious cough or sneeze, I can't imagine sneezing in the grocery store these days, the millennial blade runners would be on you in a second, your crystal would be "out"!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #1158 on: April 18, 2021, 08:54:03 PM »
A question and assertion.

If masks are totally useless, what is it that has caused me to see not one case of even sniffles of any kind for over one year now? Not me or anybody I know.

If it is not the masks, tell me what it is and I will do it diligently.

I still assert that any claims of efficacy of any measure in the general population cannot be used in any argument. We have no data to assess what the level of compliance was to any order.

A mask may be ciritcized for not stopping small particles but does it not seem locgial that it will stop large droplets containing many small particles within them?

Aerosol is not covered though I think. Masks need to fit better.
The only people of note who claim masks are not effective are Rand Paul, Donald Trump, Jim Jordan, Tucker Carlson. They for some odd reason are telling everyone of their own mind set they are worthless.  It depends on what news source you read or follow.  I read several, including those the GOP contends is good. ( I refrain from calling them the ":right"  because often they are not , but whatever works.)

The paper surgical masks they hand out are by themselves not that great.  And now, we hear double layers might be great, don't get masks with vents, and all that.  i suspect wearing a paper grocery sack might be a game changer here.   Kidding.

Right now I wear the mask I have attached and under that is a paper mask so I have two layers, and yes it scratches my face, then my nose itches and finally I go bonkers, but I survive it all.    Oddly the photo has me laying down.  arghhhh . 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #1159 on: April 18, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
Sorry, I have zero confidence in any of the reporting these days, it's all been politicized to the point it's useless.

After 78 years I can generally tell if I feel good or bad. I have a thermometer laying right in front of my keyboard, if I felt bad, had a reduced sense of smell or taste and even a single degree of temperature increase I'd not go out in public until I figured out what the problem was. When you talk about droplets, you're talking about a serious cough or sneeze, I can't imagine sneezing in the grocery store these days, the millennial blade runners would be on you in a second, your crystal would be "out"!

I am 73. I have my blood glucose meter, my bluetooth thermometer and my blood pressure cuff near by.    I use them more often when I feel like crap, all squishy and warm.  But I have health issues.   I have been tested for Covid , up the snoot before an endoscopy,  and now 2 doses of the Pfizer.  yeah we will need annual boosters with that much like that flu shot stuff.

Having the flu isn't something I want.  When I was teaching, i had the vaccine and always got a sore throat once a year and lost my voice.  I went through bags of sore throat lozenges, nyquil and all that. Now I have been retired almost 8 years and feeling ok  I have other serious health concerns.

If getting this virus would stop at feeling awful I would understand, but it is those who have the heart and lung issues worry me.  Younger people do well if their heart and lungs are just fine, but as we  age, breathing in all the environmental things we can't avoid, that has problems.  I was startled when the doctor told me I had scaring in my lungs, probably from a cold I might have had in my life.  rats.

But yes, I do monitor my health. Our big worry is if one of us has the virus, what happens to the other one?   I su
pose I could go live in a hotel or with my daughter (shudder) but my wife?   I can't take the risk

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #1160 on: April 18, 2021, 09:16:04 PM »

I am 73. I have my blood glucose meter, my bluetooth thermometer and my blood pressure cuff near by.    I use them more often when I feel like crap, all squishy and warm.  But I have health issues.   I have been tested for Covid , up the snoot before an endoscopy,  and now 2 doses of the Pfizer.  yeah we will need annual boosters with that much like that flu shot stuff.

Having the flu isn't something I want.  When I was teaching, i had the vaccine and always got a sore throat once a year and lost my voice.  I went through bags of sore throat lozenges, nyquil and all that. Now I have been retired almost 8 years and feeling ok  I have other serious health concerns.

If getting this virus would stop at feeling awful I would understand, but it is those who have the heart and lung issues worry me.  Younger people do well if their heart and lungs are just fine, but as we  age, breathing in all the environmental things we can't avoid, that has problems.  I was startled when the doctor told me I had scaring in my lungs, probably from a cold I might have had in my life.  rats.

But yes, I do monitor my health. Our big worry is if one of us has the virus, what happens to the other one?   I su
pose I could go live in a hotel or with my daughter (shudder) but my wife?   I can't take the risk
See, you exactly make the point...if you're at risk...STAY HOME. Jeez, just like it's always been since the beginning of mankind, if you're sick or at risk...STAY HOME. And with credit, you apparently do. Don't make the rest of the other 300 million in the country suffer to points we haven't even become to realize yet because of yours and others poor health.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #1161 on: April 18, 2021, 10:45:15 PM »

e other one?   I su
See, you exactly make the point...if you're at risk...STAY HOME. Jeez, just like it's always been since the beginning of mankind, if you're sick or at risk...STAY HOME. And with credit, you apparently do. Don't make the rest of the other 300 million in the country suffer to points we haven't even become to realize yet because of yours and others poor health.
I have to do just that BECAUSE people who share your opinion are taking my freedoms, my constitutional rights, because you don't care about the damage you are doing to my world.  Yeah, you bring up all that and yet, you are removing my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness from me.  I have to avoid people like you who don't care about me and others like me.    One good thing about my poor health, it isn't contagious, you can't get it from me. However you covid spreaders out there, are ruining this country for the rest of us.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #1162 on: April 19, 2021, 02:40:24 AM »
I find it somewhat amusing that the slurs you espouse about Dr. Fauci are the same as espoused by the opinion shows on multiple media outlets.
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I am curious as to what you are getting at here.  Because "multiple media outlets" have the same opinion as we do, then our opinions must be wrong?  Or that we can't think for ourselves and just regurgitate what "multiple media outlets" say?  Or are you saying that "multiple media outlets" that we share the same opinion with are the same as the "MSM" that we claim to distrust (if so, I wonder if you could give examples)?  Or are you suggesting that while other's opinions are shared by "multiple media outlets", your's aren't, your's are entirely your own?

In any case, I don't see where "multiple media outlets" make something right or wrong, especially as multiple media outlets may disagree with multiple other media outlets.

Dr. Fauci has years of experience actually fighting disease.  He doesn't have 'handlers' nor does he 'crave the limelight' -- he appears often in media to continue expressing the current policies based on science.
It appears to me that is at best opinion.  It very much appears to me that Fauci is not very trustworthy and in fact is enjoying his position and power, and I think he is afraid to go against the WHO, the politics of the day, and even China, especially when those who disagree, no matter what experience they may have, are in danger of being censored.

Yes, he'd changed from 'no masks' to 'yes masks' as the former was to prevent a run on the limited PPE quantities and reserve them for hospital workers, and the position changed when science showed mask wearing to reduce the spread and additional PPE quantities became available.
It wasn't just ever-changing "science", he stated definitively that masks don't work.

Who would have ever thought we'd get to the point where it is considered okay for our leaders and policy makers to outright lie to us because they're supposedly doing it for our own good?  That is more evidence that we are at a very dangerous point in our history.  And at the same time we're being lied to, other opinions, no matter what evidence may be behind them, are being censored as dangerous.  Isn't this how totalitarianism starts?

Couldn't they just have directed the supply of masks to hospitals, which I think is just what they did anyway?  Maybe even encouraged people and organizations to make masks?  Oh, wait, didn't they do that?

I would be ashamed to admit that I lied, but apparently Fauci finds it preferable to saying that he just didn't know what he was talking about.  But, yeah, sure, we can trust him.  :roll:

The only people of note who claim masks are not effective are Rand Paul, Donald Trump, Jim Jordan, Tucker Carlson. They for some odd reason are telling everyone of their own mind set they are worthless.  It depends on what news source you read or follow.  I read several, including those the GOP contends is good. ( I refrain from calling them the ":right"  because often they are not , but whatever works.)
Aardvark, are they really the only people, or just the only ones you know of?  Are you sure they have said they are ineffective, or have they questioned to what extent they are effective?  Are you sure they just made it up on their own without any evidence or listening to knowledgeable people in the field?

This is all another indication of the state we're in.  Aardvark can correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw some of what Jordan and Carlson said, and as I recall they asked questions that Fauci, and apparently many of the "multiple media outlets" and other partisans didn't want asked.  It compounds the danger when not only is it okay for leaders to lie, but questions aren't allowed.

It also further shows the divide; there is no middle ground, either you agree 100%, or you are 100% wrong.  If you question exactly how effective masks are, how long we'll have to continue wearing them, why we have to continue wearing them after getting the vaccine or recovering from the virus; then you're 100% against masks and anti-science and need to be SILENCED!  I think it was Carlson who pointed out that true science used to be based on the ability to ask questions and look for the answers.  But then Carlson's evil for suggesting such a thing, so what he said needs to be taken out of context and misrepresented so we can see how evil he is.

Anyway that's my thoughts, and if you don't agree with me you're evil! :twisted: (At least that seems to be the attitude everyone has any more.  But I know a lot of people are understandably under a lot of stress now days.)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:33:29 AM by SnowHiker »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #1163 on: April 19, 2021, 10:58:42 AM »
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I am curious as to what you are getting at here.  Because "multiple media outlets" have the same opinion as we do, then our opinions must be wrong?  Or that we can't think for ourselves and just regurgitate what "multiple media outlets" say?  Or are you saying that "multiple media outlets" that we share the same opinion with are the same as the "MSM" that we claim to distrust (if so, I wonder if you could give examples)?  Or are you suggesting that while other's opinions are shared by "multiple media outlets", your's aren't, your's are entirely your own?

In any case, I don't see where "multiple media outlets" make something right or wrong, especially as multiple media outlets may disagree with multiple other media outlets.

Dr. Fauci has years of experience actually fighting disease.  He doesn't have 'handlers' nor does he 'crave the limelight' -- he appears often in media to continue expressing the current policies based on science.
It appears to me that is at best opinion.  It very much appears to me that Fauci is not very trustworthy and in fact is enjoying his position and power, and I think he is afraid to go against the WHO, the politics of the day, and even China, especially when those who disagree, no matter what experience they may have, are in danger of being censored.

Yes, he'd changed from 'no masks' to 'yes masks' as the former was to prevent a run on the limited PPE quantities and reserve them for hospital workers, and the position changed when science showed mask wearing to reduce the spread and additional PPE quantities became available.
It wasn't just ever-changing "science", he stated definitively that masks don't work.

Who would have ever thought we'd get to the point where it is considered okay for our leaders and policy makers to outright lie to us because they're supposedly doing it for our own good?  That is more evidence that we are at a very dangerous point in our history.  And at the same time we're being lied to, other opinions, no matter what evidence may be behind them, are being censored as dangerous.  Isn't this how totalitarianism starts?

Couldn't they just have directed the supply of masks to hospitals, which I think is just what they did anyway?  Maybe even encouraged people and organizations to make masks?  Oh, wait, didn't they do that?

I would be ashamed to admit that I lied, but apparently Fauci finds it preferable to saying that he just didn't know what he was talking about.  But, yeah, sure, we can trust him.  :roll:

Aardvark, are they really the only people, or just the only ones you know of?  Are you sure they have said they are ineffective, or have they questioned to what extent they are effective?  Are you sure they just made it up on their own without any evidence or listening to knowledgeable people in the field?

This is all another indication of the state we're in.  Aardvark can correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw some of what Jordan and Carlson said, and as I recall they asked questions that Fauci, and apparently many of the "multiple media outlets" and other partisans didn't want asked.  It compounds the danger when not only is it okay for leaders to lie, but questions aren't allowed.

It also further shows the divide; there is no middle ground, either you agree 100%, or you are 100% wrong.  If you question exactly how effective masks are, how long we'll have to continue wearing them, why we have to continue wearing them after getting the vaccine or recovering from the virus; then you're 100% against masks and anti-science and need to be SILENCED!  I think it was Carlson who pointed out that true science used to be based on the ability to ask questions and look for the answers.  But then Carlson's evil for suggesting such a thing, so what he said needs to be taken out of context and misrepresented so we can see how evil he is.

Anyway that's my thoughts, and if you don't agree with me you're evil! :twisted: (At least that seems to be the attitude everyone has any more.  But I know a lot of people are understandably under a lot of stress now days.)

Admit it , you suffer from Anatidaephobia

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #1164 on: April 19, 2021, 11:21:54 AM »
Going to pause this for a while...Cool off.

Just hope everyone is good.

With that said-on another topic-it is already a crap week. About to get tougher here.
The Aura of this week is already bad, add in the uncertainty of the trial. We were on curfew for a few days. Guessing we will be again no matter what happens. 

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything