Author Topic: Meteobridge 5.3 (Mar 13 2022, build 14677) - can't connect to WU **solved**  (Read 804 times)

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
I just noticed that for the past couple of days, my meteobridge hasn't been able to upload to Weather Underground. I'm running the firmware indicated in the subject line. That's also the date when the problems started. I have two other locations I maintain with older versions that are working fine.

Anyone else seeing this and/or know of a fix?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:21:21 AM by docbee »
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Any errors reported on "Live Date - Upload Status" tab?
Any errors in the "System - Logfiles" tab?
Do you see current data for all sensors on "Live Data - Raw Data" tab?

As you see, there are tons of options to check things a bit by yourself, before posting "it does not work" here and let us all scratch our heads why you don't try a bit harder yourself to get your problem solved.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
before posting "it does not work" here and let us all scratch our heads why you don't try a bit harder yourself to get your problem solved.

Is the attitude really necessary? It isn't hard to be kind. World needs more of it.

The beginning of your response was helpful, though, so I thank you for that as it led to the resolution.

Anyway, it's been a long long time since I've had any issues with a MB. The last time I ever had to click on the Live Data tab, the only info there was the sensors. There are three sub-tabs now, which I didn't know about. I was looking in at the logging, which is really minimal now compared to how it used to be.

The issue was that the DNS lookups were failing. Which was weird, because a) only the WU destinations were failing and b) I could resolve the address just fine on my laptop, which is on the same network and uses the same address (that of the home router) for DNS resolutions as the MB.

Next step was to try an nslookup via the terminal app on my laptop. And, bingo!

Code: [Select]
% nslookup rtupdate.wunderground.com     
;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.

So it appears if this happens on the MB, it doesn't retry (maybe a future mod to add this?). But what changed?? It worked before!

I installed a new router last weekend. One of the new features I took advantage of is having the router use DNS-over-TLS for encrypted queries. Basically, every query that leaves the house (assuming the client is using the router's address for a resolver) gets encrypted and no one can gather data about where we're going on the internet. I pointed the router to Cloudflare's servers.

So, on the theory that the Cloudflare resolution was too big for the UDP query that the MB made, I set up the MB to manual assignment (the router is configured to give it the same IP address all the time anyway) which then allowed me to also bypass the router's DNS and point to OpenDNS instead.

And... everything is working again!

https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
Hi @Jasiu
first of all I don't think Boris was being impolite. I guess it's a cultural clash - use (and understanding) of language can be very different on both side of the Atlantic Ocean.

What he meant to say was:
rather than quickly saying "it doesn't work" it is often more helpful to read through the whole WiKi (www.meteobridge.com) and check out all the options/features of the MB device(s) available,
which I find is a fair statement.

And of course, in a network environment, there are many potential issues waiting around the corner, especially when you change your network architecture or its elements (e.g. a router) - and you found the cause of your issue finally yourself (once realizing that there is a "upload status" page under/in the live data menu).
So, well done !  [tup]
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
@Jasui: sorry if that came across rude. But it really helps when the users do invest a bit of time to make use of the debug features (like log files, etc) in the product to at least try to solve issues themselves or give a pin pointed problem description. However, great that you finally found a solution and shared that.  [tup]
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

anything