Author Topic: Yearly weather analysis software? (DP1500 + raspberry pi)  (Read 1547 times)

Offline balena

Yearly weather analysis software? (DP1500 + raspberry pi)
« on: April 28, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am buying my first weather station to use on a farm. I am thinking about buying froggit WH4000SE outdoor sensors array + DP1500 wifi adapter + raspberry pi to collect data.

In general on the farm we like to ask questions like how much rainfall has there been in a certain month, what was the average solar radiation last month and how does it compare to previous years...

I would like to be able to collect data for a few years and then be able to draw rainfall, solar radiation, temperature chart over a year to see how they changed through the months and also it would be great if I could compare different years and/or same month through different years.

In relation to this, I would like to ask:
1. Is there any software that I can use to do such analysis / comparison or at least setup such a chart over a full year?
2. What data collection software or platform should I use on the raspberry pi to collect and store the data? Or is there a better alternative to the raspberry pi?

Thanks for any advice :-)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Yearly weather analysis software? (DP1500 + raspberry pi)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 01:54:45 PM »
You could use weewx on your Raspberry Pi  ( http://www.weewx.com/)  It has some things built-in you might like.  As for analysis, you are probably looking at doing some time series analysis or trending.  Using "R" and possibly Pythoon would be a good way to do that.  Or you could just dump data into Excel and manipulate there  - or use Libre Office on the Pi.  But I think you will find that the Pi might not have enough horsepower to run sophisticated analyses.  The new Pi 4 might though.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline balena

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »
Thank you, I will research weewx. Do you perhaps know how it compares with cumulus mx, are they similar products or not?

I am trying to find a comparison or more detailed descriptions of features for both products but have not found any yet...

Are there any demo pages where I could view what kind of reports / charts / website both solutions can generate?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:08:13 PM by balena »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 02:10:22 PM »
You can run them both at the same time. Why not check them both out and see which you prefer for your needs. There is even a 3rd choice, as you can also run Weather-Display software.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »
Thank you, I will research weewx. Do you perhaps know how it compares with cumulus mx, are they similar products or not?

I am trying to find a comparison or more detailed descriptions of features for both products but have not found any yet...

Are there any demo pages where I could view what kind of reports / charts / website both solutions can generate?

http://www.weewx.com/showcase.html  As long as there is a database in the backend, you can easily extract what you need. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline balena

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 03:07:53 PM »
Thank you both for useful information. I will try them both then.

anything