Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10157 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
Ok....we're DISH-free now!!!!  Time to explore streaming options *without* a tv provider...I've got the Tivo, a Roku, a Firestick, and a Sony BR player w/apps...along with OTA reception.  The Roku and Firestick were a couple of Black Friday deals so a *good* price.  But, I haven't tried either one of them at the house.  The Firestick I have tried out here at the shop but we're talking cable-modem here versus Centurylink 3Mbs at the house.

The guy at DISH *really* wanted to keep me.  He tried *really hard* of which I complimented him about after-the-fact.<grin>  I let him exhaust all the offers before I used the "NOW!" expression...actually had to use in two or three times.  Basically, as a "preferred customer" he could knock $25 off of my bill and guarantee it for 2-years (sounds like there would have been a contract, eh?).    We had been with them for eleven years....figuring our bill and multipying it by 11 that means we've paid them over $16,000 during that time!!!!!  That's not going to happen aagin over the next eleven years!!!!(I sure hope I'm still around in eleven years! :) ).

So, what can I do with an old DISH DVR?  They don't want it back.

Oh, and we received two new credit cards from the BofA a few days ago.  We had a card several years ago, but when we got a Costco membership it transferred the account and balance to American Express.  I thought the BofA card was dead.  Anyhow, I called BofA and after being firmly warned that I couldn't reopen the account once close and that I would lose all my rewards points (eh?), etc., they closed the account.  I probably won't be able to sleep a bit tonight worrying about those reward points.<grin>

Two closed accounts today.  Hmm, what's next....???? :-P

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2018, 02:38:34 PM »
I would say that anyone that is a DISH (or Direct) customer should call the provider after their contract is fulfilled and ask to close their account.  I think they'll end up with a nice discount...if they really want to keep a satellite subscription, that is.  ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2018, 02:48:41 PM »
I would say that anyone that is a DISH (or Direct) customer should call the provider after their contract is fulfilled and ask to close their account.  I think they'll end up with a nice discount...if they really want to keep a satellite subscription, that is.  ;)
Seems any discount involves a 2 year contract. No way. At this point I don't have any contract with Dish so as soon as I can get my goodies I'll be gone.
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
Less than 2 hours ago I ordered a CM antenna. Just got 2 updates from UPS (2 packages). Stuff is scheduled for delivery tomorrow - Saturday! And it was free shipping, too. Not bad at all.
John
W7JKG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »
One of the quirks of living in city with warehouse. When I stayed at my moms in Sun City she had same day delivery a couple times.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2018, 02:58:53 PM »
Interesting, Tony, thanks. Have been looking at the HomeRun Extend. I'm on the CM email list but didn't get anything on this. I'm getting one of their 100mi antennas/pre-amps. My very broken down old Radio Shack antenna picks up Tucson, 120mi away, perfectly but can't handle local CBS. Need to fix that first.
Isn't the HomeRun a subscription-type box?

You are getting perfect reception from a station 120 miles away? What call-sign is that?  Simple earth curvature would be making that a 2-edge or worse signal.  :shock:

If you're picking up distant channels good but having trouble with close-by stations it makes me think of a couple of things.  It could be a VHF/UHF issue, it could be a case of overloading the receiver of your tuner with a signal that is *too strong*, or some of both. 

Which antenna and preamp did you purchase?  Did you buy from the Channel Master website?...they have a good return policy...keep the packaging and equipment nice and orderly.  Saturday delivery is good!!! :)

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
I thought 70 miles was max on antenna reception. I wonder if the Tucson feed wasn't just off a transmitter in area.
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »
Maybe a translator?  Kind of like a repeater in radio jargon...?

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Well I found one that claims 150 miles if on 50' high pole. Heck I could get antenna vision if this is true and I put up my 50' tower I've dreamed about... :-P

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1473210448&sr=1-6&linkCode=sl1&tag=noc0d-20&linkId=00252d63bd42189c3242f656fffe9ba9
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2018, 03:32:12 PM »
So, what can I do with an old DISH DVR?  They don't want it back.

Pull all the plugs and connectors, tuck it away for a while somewhere.  Leave the dish, LNB and cabling all in place.  In a couple of months, reconnect the box and see what happens.  I've heard a couple of different stories.  Some say you get nothing at all, or just a splash screen.  Others say you can use the box to watch anything that was recorded on it.  Still others say you can watch some of the free channels (shopping, etc.).  I don't really know which is more true, or if it varies by area or type of box.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2018, 03:38:22 PM »
Mmm, not really interested in any of that.  I erased everything last night...should have waited, I guess.  No big loss.  Mostly curious about the OTA receiver and whether it will work without an account. Could use it for an OTA DVR if that's the case...maybe. And if that doesn't work maybe check the hard drive out on it...must be about a 1TB drive...may have a proprietary connector, though.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
Well I found one that claims 150 miles if on 50' high pole. Heck I could get antenna vision if this is true and I put up my 50' tower I've dreamed about... :-P

https://www.amazon.com/ViewTV-Outdoor-Amplified-Antenna-Rotation/dp/B017JEF126/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1473210448&sr=1-6&linkCode=sl1&tag=noc0d-20&linkId=00252d63bd42189c3242f656fffe9ba9
<grin> 75 miles is a *long* haul for a tv signal...unless you're up on a mountainside and across a big valley is the antenna farm.  LOS is important...the earth's curve will get you eventually.  But, there is some "flexibility" to the radio signals.  Check this calculator out... https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=75&h0=50&unit=imperial

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
Isn't the HomeRun a subscription-type box?
Haven't gotten that far yet. The box is basically just an OTA tuner, AFAIK, Today is my first day poking around. See  https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/for a model comparison.
You are getting perfect reception from a station 120 miles away? What call-sign is that?  Simple earth curvature would be making that a 2-edge or worse signal.  :shock:
Yep, suprised me, too. KVOA-NBC, KGUN-ABC, KOLD-CBS, etc., all at 1080i.
If you're picking up distant channels good but having trouble with close-by stations it makes me think of a couple of things.  It could be a VHF/UHF issue, it could be a case of overloading the receiver of your tuner with a signal that is *too strong*, or some of both. 
CBS worked just fine for years. There's no pre-amp on this setup so, unless they boosted their signal, that's not it. Of the 106 I get OTA there are a few that are pixelated. However they are not even close to being directly in line with the antenna. Plus the antenna has lost some arms over the years so who knows?
Which antenna and preamp did you purchase?  Did you buy from the Channel Master website?...they have a good return policy...keep the packaging and equipment nice and orderly.  Saturday delivery is good!!! :)
Mentioned earlier I got a Masterpiece 100 and holding off on the pre-amp until I see how just the antenna and new coax (also ancient) works.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:07:35 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
I thought 70 miles was max on antenna reception. I wonder if the Tucson feed wasn't just off a transmitter in area.
As did I. The main Tucson farm happens to be directly in line with the current pointed direction of my antenna, which is the biggest one Radio Shack made. Absolutely nothing it the way between me and there, no rotator, either.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:14:42 PM by jgillett »
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2018, 04:11:28 PM »
Maybe a translator?  Kind of like a repeater in radio jargon...?
Unknown, but I don't think so. The ID as seen by my TV indicates the main call sign and not that of a translator.
John
W7JKG

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
I used to get 70-80 miles  pretty clear over mixed terrain.  My antenna was about 50' above ground.  I don't know how high theirs was.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »

I haven't read this entire thread, I just noticed this post.

I got DirecTV when Comcast started jerking everybody around with new channel options (they didn't ask what we wanted.  they asked which of the five they chose we would like).  I think I was the only one around in town that had a dish on my house.  That was back in the 90s.  I'm still with them.  I've always been satisfied with my DirecTV.

When we moved to where we live now in 2005, we brought it with us, because we're really out in the sticks and there was no cable (and there's still no cable).  We only had dialup internet (hence the screen name).

AT&T put a tower about 1/4 mile from the house, so now we have pretty good internet, so that's good.  But, since AT&T bought DirecTV, everything is bundled.  I have DirecTV on all my devices plus I still have a dish at home.

My point is that it may be possible for some folks to bargain and get a cheaper deal.  But if I started picking apart the bundle, it may all fall apart and unbundled the price of all the parts may be higher than the sum of the whole.  So i think I'll just let it ride.

Oh, we do also subscribe to Netflix  kind of like a treat.  Seems these different providers have different chunks of content.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:14:48 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »
DISH was giving me a discount for bundling their service with my home phone...$5.   :roll:

Greg, I can understand where you're coming from.  Sometimes things happen to fall together and don't need to be messed with.  But thinking about that $25 discount...in eleven years (how long I was with DISH) that would equal out to a savings of $3300.  Not a paltry amount. :)

I wish ATT would tweak the tower close to us a bit...the home phone would be shut down in a heartbeat.  I tried calling home before I left the shop a little bit ago.  Seems the phone would ring twice and then click and go to dial-tone.  I got home and called it from my cellphone...it'll ring twice and hang up.  If you answer it in time it you can talk.  Good ol' Centurystink.  Just a week or so ago it was telling us that it had been disconnected. :mad:

Anyhow, it's full speed ahead, look out for falling satellites!!!!!  :lol:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2018, 08:02:09 PM »

This is kind of off topic, but it reminded me of something.  My favorite radio station is WDVX and it is in Knoxville, TN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDVX

http://www.wdvx.com

It is a public radio station and plays mostly bluegrass and Americana.  In the evenings and on the weekends, there are world class blues and rockabilly shows.  And there are other types of shows as well.

The thing is that they're transmitting at an earth-shattering 200 watts.  So if you don't live in town, you can't pick them up on the radio.  Thankfully, some of their sponsors and friends are IT folks, so they're available streaming online.

But the watts/range/reception thing just made me think of that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2018, 11:46:54 PM »
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

OK Now I'm mad.  The issue, from what I can tell is that I'm getting a "reorder tone" (fast busy signal) after two rings...this is, as I understand it, the result of a problem with the telco trunk/network and not my equipment/wiring. 

I did the online tests before calling...everything showed "OK".  Well,  I called Centurystink earlier this evening to report my phone problem.  The robot did the  "line testing" and everything showed "OK".  The other day when Centurystink had the "The number has been disconnected" screw-up for my phone all the tests reported "OK" then, too! :twisted:   Anyhow, at the end of the human-to-robot exchange they start a long message about they will come to the house and check things on the outside of the house and if the problem is on me that they will charge an $85 "isolation fee" and that if they come inside and do anything that will be an additional charge.  I don't trust them any further than I can throw them.  I've already had a bogus "repair" charge from them a few years ago...I guess the tech needed extra Christmas money or something.  :evil: Everything is geared to "it's not on our network", but 99 times out of 100...or more realistically, 100 out of 100 time it's *their* problem.  I'm tired of there BS.

My next project...DITCH THE @#)*&$@! CENTURYSTINK HOME PHONE!!!!!

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2018, 05:25:43 AM »
First thing to go for us was the landline back when the flip cell phones came out around 2000. 
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2018, 06:54:13 AM »
First thing to go for us was the landline back when the flip cell phones came out around 2000.
I would like to get rid of the land line but comcast tells me if I do my bill will go up. :roll:
The future is streaming. The problem is there isn't enough ISP's to give the big boys competition  so companies like Comcast can charge whatever they want for internet service.  By the way they raised their internet only service to $75 a month.
I hoping we see something like the MNVO's that popped up and offer cheaper internet service. I use Cricket which uses's Att's towers but I get it much cheaper but the download speed is throttled which is OK. As long as they could offer internet only at say, 30mbps that would be good enough to stream what I need.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2018, 07:43:11 AM »
Dumping my landline would not help me in any way since DSL rides on it and there are no feasible alternatives.  I have the lowest level of landline as it is, no local, zone or LD calls included.  They all cost extra.  I can call 911 and Toll-Free numbers and get incoming calls.  There is one lower option that might save a few dollars, but I lose all dialtone, so no incoming or outgoing calls at all.  Don't care for that.

anything