Author Topic: Problems Getting Computers to Connect to Vantage Vue w/USB Logger  (Read 23970 times)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Problems Getting Computers to Connect to Vantage Vue w/USB Logger
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2011, 01:54:34 PM »
re the RF interference you could also instead add a RF clamp to each end of the USB cable
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »
Now lets be honest who is going to hang their hat and reputation on this being RF? Really.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2011, 03:21:03 PM »
yeah I suspect more of a windows driver/port issue when the laptop died when the battery ran out..than a RF issue
still though its a good idea to add RF suppresents...even tinfoil wrapped over the USB plugs/adaptors works great
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Since you brought it home with you -- does the old laptop properly work with other USB devices? 

I asked that because I have one older laptop where the entire set of USB ports quit working.  In my case, it's a hardware problem, not a problem with drivers, software programs, cables, RF, whatever.  Perhaps not the problem being explored here - but not answered yet.  If the USB ports all died, exploring fixes for RF probably won't help.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2011, 03:58:07 PM »
I think the idea of a dial-up modem is interesting, though the house doesn't have a land line phone.

More referring to celluar dial-up modems. Typically not somehting that you would stay on line with but as far as downloading data and software configuration etc is ideal.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
More referring to celluar dial-up modems. Typically not somehting that you would stay on line with...

Np particular reason not to, assuming that you have the right sort of data SIM.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2011, 04:15:43 PM »
More referring to celluar dial-up modems. Typically not somehting that you would stay on line with...

Np particular reason not to, assuming that you have the right sort of data SIM.

Yes that is right you do require either a modem only SIM or a data number over the voice number. Really an effective and relatively cheap means for remote systems. Pity the 8x can't be downlaoded this way. 

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2011, 05:17:46 PM »
Since you brought it home with you -- does the old laptop properly work with other USB devices? 

It does - I tried it (on-site yesterday) with the two USB flash drives I had with me. They both worked on all 3 USB ports. I mentioned this earlier, but it probably got buried in one of my longer posts.

Considering the fact that is was functional until the power hit, has this been tried?

Remove all USB devices physically.  Right-click "my computer" and select manage.  Select "device manager" and "USB controllers" from the tree.  Look for any USB devices, hubs, etc. that have a red "X" and delete them.  (If there were any "usb root hub" X'ed devices for you to delete, reboot.)  Now try connecting the logger and see what happens. (thought here is that the driver may have gotten corrupted)

Also make sure the logger is well seated in the console.  I've chased my tail before not realizing it had been bumped and was not making good connection.

I will try this shortly here at home with the laptop (since I have it with me) - thanks.

yeah I suspect more of a windows driver/port issue when the laptop died when the battery ran out..than a RF issue
still though its a good idea to add RF suppresents...even tinfoil wrapped over the USB plugs/adaptors works great

Certainly something else to try as well.

More referring to celluar dial-up modems. Typically not somehting that you would stay on line with but as far as downloading data and software configuration etc is ideal.

Interesting - this is actually something I know next to nothing about. Is it a device that I'd attach to the laptop and be able to access remotely when necessary? Also, do you have any idea as to what the monthly fees for the data are? Not sure if this is relevant, but my cell plan doesn't have data included (no internet, etc.) - just texting and calling capabilities. I'd imagine I would have to get some kind of data plan to use a modem.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »
Is it a device that I'd attach to the laptop and be able to access remotely when necessary?

Yes & No, it is a device that could/would entirely do away with the laptop and allow remote access much like being directly connected. Requires a serial logger and limited to 9600 baud but works.

Monthly fees/costs? Something you would best check with your telco providor but typically is a fixed monthly cost for the SIM plus call charges much like a mobile phone.

Typically this would be a specific SIM card (with phone number) that inserts into the modem.

NO data plan as this is not packet switched (internet type) access but circuit switched. Some will class this as "old analog type technology" but is still very effective, even today.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
That's great to hear about the console battery life! It's possible, then, that if I end up not bringing the 24/7 laptop back to the house, I'll turn the power off at the house and let the Vue console run on battery from Nov-Mar. The one thing I'd be worried about, though, is the cold - while the house is on a barrier island in coastal South Jersey, in a place well-moderated by the ocean, it can still get pretty darn cold there. I'd imagine the inside of the unheated house goes below freezing a couple times per winter, though I'll find out soon enough. I'd be worried (though definitely correct me if I'm wrong) about the cold impacting the console battery life.

Cold will effect the batteries, at freezing Alkalines will have about half of normal room temperature capacity. Nov to Mar shouldn't be an issue though. Come to think of it, I should have mentioned the life I got was without a datalogger. I did have a datalogger in it for a little while, but moved it to a VP2 console. A datalogger will slightly decrease battery life, as will using the serial port.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
A datalogger will slightly decrease battery life, as will using the serial port.

In standard mode it would be ever ever so slight to the point of not being important. But in streaming mode then that's quite a different issue and will knock it's life back by around 70%   

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 09:48:27 PM »
"streaming mode"? Please do explain what you think that is.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »

Well it's basically a WeatherLink serial data logger with streaming capability, data that is continuously output in an ASCII type (hyperterminal) format and commonly used in conjunction with transmitting weather data via radio.   

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
RE the Vue console battery: thankfully, the power can be kept on in the house through the winter. I'm guessing the Vue console uses a tiny amount of juice, and my grandparents (the owners of the beach house) don't mind keeping the power on. But it's certainly very nice to know that, if the power is turned off again accidentally by someone else, the console will keep going for an extended period of time. Also, if it turns out that unplugging the console's AC power will allow my laptop to connect to the logger (as indicated in the Weather Display forum thread), I may need to rely on the battery full time.

I'd also like to update the thread on what I've done on the old laptop tonight:

First, I checked the Device Manager, as suggested in one of the posts. I looked at the USB controllers, and none of them had a red X through them - so I'm assuming that means they're all okay. I also looked under the "Multi-port serial adapters" in the device manager, and found that there were two instances of the N8VB vCOM Virtual Serial Port Driver listed - weird. One of them had a yellow exclamation point through it, indicating some sort of problem. I uninstalled that one, and now there's only one N8VB vCOM Virtual Serial Port Driver listed under Multi-port serial adapters, sans yellow exclamation point. I'm really not sure what the implications of that were (and that's probably clear to anyone reading this description!), but maybe - just maybe - that had something to do with my problem.

I also went to the SiLabs site and downloaded/installed the latest USB to UART driver, and this part I was even more confused about. When I went through the install wizard, I was notified about the fact that I already had a version of the driver installed on my computer, and was prompted as to whether or not I wanted to update it with the new version I had downloaded. I chose to update it, of course. But I'm confused as to where I installed the driver to on my PC, and whether or not I need to uninstall any older versions. The new driver seems to be installed directly to a C:/SiLabs folder. I thought maybe it should have been installed in C:/WeatherLink/Support/Drivers, so I checked to see what was in there. I found four folders: "Direct_USB_Driver_Win_8," "Direct_USB_Drivers_Win_X," "USB To UART Drivers 4.38," and "USB To UART Drivers 5.30." Basically, what I'm wondering is whether or not I correctly installed the latest driver when I installed it tonight. Does it need to be in the WeatherLink directory to work properly? And why are there folders referring to old versions of the USB to UART drivers in the directory?

Assuming I did install the SiLabs driver correctly, I think that more or less covers my troubleshooting options on the laptop itself. Of course, much of the troubleshooting/most of the potential fixes will involve the USB logger cable itself - and it looks like I may get a chance to go down there on Friday, so fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:46:38 PM by NorthNJwx »

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 11:40:30 PM »
I really doesn't matter where it is installed from. Just check that the installed version matches what is being used.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
I really doesn't matter where it is installed from. Just check that the installed version matches what is being used.

I continue to betray how non-tech savvy I am with each passing post, but I need to ask: how can I check to see that the installed version matches what is being used? I couldn't find any mention of the SiLabs driver in the Device Manager (though it's quite possible I just didn't know where to look).

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:50 PM »

Well it's basically a WeatherLink serial data logger with streaming capability, data that is continuously output in an ASCII type (hyperterminal) format and commonly used in conjunction with transmitting weather data via radio.   

The only thing that would even approach such with a Davis instrument is the virtually useless STRMON command. Please at least look at the serial doc before making anymore guesses.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »

I continue to betray how non-tech savvy I am with each passing post, but I need to ask: how can I check to see that the installed version matches what is being used? I couldn't find any mention of the SiLabs driver in the Device Manager (though it's quite possible I just didn't know where to look).

You should be able to determine that by checking the driver version with device manager. The hardest part of of that, way be finding which device is supposed to be using it, MS doesn't make that easy.  :-(

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »

You should be able to determine that by checking the driver version with device manager. The hardest part of of that, way be finding which device is supposed to be using it, MS doesn't make that easy.  :-(

Thank you - I'll try to see if I can locate that in the device manager now before I call it a night.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »
Thank you - I'll try to see if I can locate that in the device manager now before I call it a night.

Keep in mind that the device has to be connected, or you won't find it.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 12:00:29 AM »
Question? Do you have a phone landline or mobile coverage or internet service (cabled or wireless) to this site?

That was my thought as well.  You can get an account at netzero for ~$10/month and be able to monitor your station remotely.  And, although it's slow as molasses in January, you can even do a remote logon to your laptop and operate it from your house with the right software.  Seems like a cheap fix add-on to me.  (and I live on dialup)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:27:34 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 12:25:43 AM »

The only thing that would even approach such with a Davis instrument is the virtually useless STRMON command. Please at least look at the serial doc before making anymore guesses.

How's this for a guess then buddy  =D>

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06540

Please check your own knowledge base before talking about things you know absolutely nothing about. This is a WeatherLink serial streaming data logger and looks no different to the standard serial data logger.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:29:17 AM by Flag »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »
Considering the fact that is was functional until the power hit, has this been tried?

Remove all USB devices physically.  Right-click "my computer" and select manage.  Select "device manager" and "USB controllers" from the tree.  Look for any USB devices, hubs, etc. that have a red "X" and delete them.  (If there were any "usb root hub" X'ed devices for you to delete, reboot.)  Now try connecting the logger and see what happens. (thought here is that the driver may have gotten corrupted)

Also make sure the logger is well seated in the console.  I've chased my tail before not realizing it had been bumped and was not making good connection.

XYKOTIK reminded me of a utility software package I downloaded a year or so ago. It is called USBDeview and is a FREE package created by NirSoft. They make a bunch of utilities that give lots of information about your system. This one reports the details of your USB devices. Don't know if it would help in this situation or not but perhaps it's worth a shot.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2011, 12:31:26 AM »
If this wasn't a USB logger you know we wouldn't be having this discussion  ](*,) be it connected via serial or a USB/Serial adapter.

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »

Keep in mind that the device has to be connected, or you won't find it.

Oh, darn. I tried doing it with a random USB flash drive plugged in and couldn't find anything - wow, silly. So I won't be able to check this until I'm on-site and can plug in the logger, then. Oops.

Question? Do you have a phone landline or mobile coverage or internet service (cabled or wireless) to this site?

That was my thought as well.  You can get an account at netzero for ~$10/month and be able to monitor your station remotely.  And, although it's slow as molasses in January, you can even do a remote logon to your laptop and operate it from your house with the right software.  Seems like a cheap fix to me.  (and I live on dialup)

The site only has mobile coverage - no landline, no internet of any kind. This sounds really interesting, but I need a lot more info: what does the associated hardware (modem?) cost and where can I buy it, would I need to switch to a serial logger, how can I set all of this up, etc. I'm guessing I could find out much of this on my own, though I'm just not sure where to start. And, also, in what way would I be able to access it remotely: would I be able to, for example, download the contents of the datalogger into WeatherLink remotely - say, to my laptop at home, while I'm at home?

Unless the modem setup is both really easy and really cheap, I'm not sure I can justify it for my specific purposes. I'm not really concerned, at all, about monitoring the site remotely in real time. Any ability to do so would purely be a bonus, nothing more. The only thing that really matters to me with this station is that I have a constant record of data with no holes. Even without having the laptop on site right now, I still have constant records because I can just drive down there once every <53 days and download the contents of the datalogger into WeatherLink. In other words, if there isn't a fix to my connectivity problem with the old laptop, I may very well end up being satisfied with just driving down every <53 days, downloading the data onto WL on my main laptop and enjoying the data after I've collected it. It's only a ~125 mile drive to the site, and I actually look forward to doing it every month or so. So not having remote access to the station is no problem for me.

What having a 24/7 laptop on-site offers is simply two more sets of data: in addition to the WeatherLink dataset, Cumulus and WxSolution datasets as well. Each of those three programs compiles/archives/graphs data in very different ways, so I like having them all. If it turns out that the logger still won't connect to the other laptop after I try the numerous potential fixes, though, I might just stick with the idea of bringing my main laptop down <53 days and downloading the logger data into WeatherLink. The WL dataset is the most important to me, anyway.

XYKOTIK reminded me of a utility software package I downloaded a year or so ago. It is called USBDeview and is a FREE package created by NirSoft. They make a bunch of utilities that give lots of information about your system. This one reports the details of your USB devices. Don't know if it would help in this situation or not but perhaps it's worth a shot.

That looks like it could be very useful. Thank you! At the very least, I'll be able to know whether or not the computer actually recognizes that the logger is plugged in (aside from whether or not it can communicate with it).

If this wasn't a USB logger you know we wouldn't be having this discussion  ](*,) be it connected via serial or a USB/Serial adapter.

Well, as I've explained already: there was originally not going to be any 24/7 dedicated laptop on site. The laptop I ended up using on-site was given to me a couple weeks after I set up the station and logger (it hadn't been used in about two years and the opportunity presented itself for me at the right time). My main laptop has no serial port, and, since I was planning on just connecting the logger to my laptop once every <53 days to download the logger into WeatherLink, there was absolutely no reason for me not to get the USB logger at the time.

anything