Author Topic: Observer IP Firmware version 3 is out  (Read 3810 times)

Offline tfconway

Observer IP Firmware version 3 is out
« on: March 25, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »
The latest firmware update is available here:

http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/iptools/USA_v3.0.0.bin

Has anyone upgraded?  If so, what are you seeing that is different?  They state that  the new firmware contains improved update rates due to efficiency changes.

Caution: the web site warns that you have to re-enter the Time Zone settings, as well as your WUnderground logon information.  You also have to press the reset button after the upgrade is complete.

Tom
KMDQUEEN13

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Observer IP Firmware version 3 is out
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:27:40 PM »
Now this isn't for the Weatherlink IP, is it??   
My IP crashed and I sent it to Davis and they did the latest flash  to version1.11 for that unit.

Offline tfconway

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
My IP crashed and I sent it to Davis and they did the latest flash  to version1.11 for that unit.
@Aardvark, you are correct - it is not for the Davis Weatherlink IP.  AFAIK this firmware is only for the Ambient Weather Observer IP.  You're in the Ambient Weather forum - you'll want to check the Davis forum for issues related to the Weatherlink IP.

The moose out front shoulda told ya.

Tom
KMDQUEEN13

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »
@Aardvark, you are correct - it is not for the Davis Weatherlink IP.  AFAIK this firmware is only for the Ambient Weather Observer IP.  You're in the Ambient Weather forum - you'll want to check the Davis forum for issues related to the Weatherlink IP.

The moose out front shoulda told ya.
I thought the moose outside  was waiting for the next table for two inside. Dang it, not going to believe any moose on the loose.
Tom
KMDQUEEN13

Offline arlowx

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »
The latest firmware update is available here:

http://site.ambientweatherstore.com/iptools/USA_v3.0.0.bin

Has anyone upgraded?  If so, what are you seeing that is different?  They state that  the new firmware contains improved update rates due to efficiency changes.

Caution: the web site warns that you have to re-enter the Time Zone settings, as well as your WUnderground logon information.  You also have to press the reset button after the upgrade is complete.

Tom
KMDQUEEN13

I may try the update.

On what page are you finding the link, info, etc.?

I downloaded the bin file from your link but can't seem to find the rest on the Ambient website.

Offline tfconway

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »
On what page are you finding the link, info, etc.?

@arlowx, Here's the main download page:  http://www.ambientweather.com/observerip.html

About halfway down the page is a section entitled, "ObserverIP Firmware Updates."  You will see the link to the firmware, and the release notes for that version and for previous versions.

Tom
KMDQUEEN13

Offline billybob

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 12:46:56 PM »
Definitely an improvement over 2.1 which was horrible updating WU. This version updates around the 14-16 second mark and looks good. This was my biggest complaint about the 2.1 firmware and ED at ambient had said that they will look into it.

So thanks for the great customer service =D>

There are a couple of gui changes that I noticed.

They have added battery status indicator and they have removed the wireless sensor settings that the older firmware had that allowed you to choose different sensors. I guess extra sensors are not coming anytime soon.

Other than that so far so good :grin:

Transmitter settings different

New battery status
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:48:53 PM by billybob »

Offline arlowx

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the link, I don't know why I wasn't able to find that page.

Also, thanks for the review.

I"ll probably update my firmware tomorrow.

Offline billybob

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »
Having some connectivity issues right now with this firmware. Will let it run over the weekend to make sure my internet is not being flaky as I can see the observer connecting to WU in my firewall logs every 16 seconds. Too bad if this firmware turns out to be like the earlier ones with connectivity problems because it connects to my outside and indoor sensors within a second or two after rebooting etc whereas the older versions took a lot longer specially the 2.1 firmware.

Offline tfconway

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 05:50:07 PM »
I just completed the upgrade to v3.00, from v2.00.  I did press the reset button after the upgrade completed.  I did not have to re-enter my WUnderground information, but I did have to re-calibrate the relative barometric pressure setting, which had reset to the default. 

The Observer found the outdoor station right away, and seemed to log back into WU right away, too.  Like @billybob, I'll keep an eye on it for a while and see what happens.

Tom
KMDQUEEN13

Offline arlowx

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:35:32 AM »
l also upgraded over the weekend. I found that I DID have to re-enter the WU log-in but my pressure calibration was saved.

I had forgotten about the reset button instruction & did that after re-entering my WU log-in, but the station would not reconnect to WU.

After waiting a while, I hit the reset a second time, then pushed the "apply" button for the WU log-in (log-in info was still there) & it went straight online. So it seems the steps need to be done in the right order.

No issues since.

I also have occasional drop-outs on the WU graphs similar to Billybob's, but only for pressure data. All the other parameters will still have data for that time-frame.

Defective barometer or is it on WU's end?

Offline billybob

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »
I also have occasional drop-outs on the WU graphs similar to Billybob's, but only for pressure data. All the other parameters will still have data for that time-frame.

Defective barometer or is it on WU's end?
I have noticed that if you log in to the observer when the data is not being sent, the indoor sensor actually loses connectivity. I only had this happen for the first couple of days and it has been solid since so don't know what is going on :???:

I also had to re-enter my WU info after the update and had no connection like arlowx after the initial update. Everything is working great right now so keeping my fingers crossed ;)

anything