Author Topic: Upload to Ambient Weather  (Read 637 times)

Offline aesoprrp

Upload to Ambient Weather
« on: October 12, 2021, 03:04:00 PM »
Hey folks, I am wondering if there is a way to get the WifiLogger to upload to Ambient Weather's weather map. Ambient weather sells a "bridge" for Davis consoles, but it's prohibitively expensive (way overpriced IMO). I already use a WifiLogger2 for uploads to WU/PWS/Davis. Are there any plans to add the Ambient Weather export to the device in the future? Not a huge deal! I would imagine that using their API for this purpose might also be expensive.

As an aside - I've been using the MQTT functions recently, to upload data to a local Grafana dashboard. It works really well! Thanks to the developer!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Upload to Ambient Weather
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 03:40:26 PM »
The "Bridge" from Ambient is a Meteobridge that includ s the license fee to upload, that's why the price point.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39068.0
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 03:42:46 PM by davidmc36 »

Offline aesoprrp

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 04:07:39 PM »
The "Bridge" from Ambient is a Meteobridge that includ s the license fee to upload, that's why the price point.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39068.0

Gotcha, that is good to know. I figured it had something to do with cost.

Offline aesoprrp

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 05:57:41 PM »
Ok, after a quick dive into some research:

To anyone else looking for this info... a Meteobridge can be bought pre-built or you can DIY with off-the-shelf hardware like a raspberry pi (3, 3b, 4b) or a TP-link router. The cheapest possible solution to the problem I'm facing is a $140 ambient weather IP server (basically just a TP link router with the custom meteobridge firmware/OS). The DIY option is potentially cheaper (probably not), but you'll still have to pay $80 for the meteobridge license and $100 to upload to Ambient Weather.

The main reason why I'm interested is because meteobridge has built-in support for hosting and uploading a weather camera, which might take a lot of hassle out of the whole-station setup. Unfortunately, Meteobridge does not have MQTT support (but it does have MySQL support...), so for my purposes I will definitely be sticking to the WifiLogger2, and maybe I'll add on a meteobridge when I finally get around to adding a camera to my station!

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 06:11:59 PM »
.......when I finally get around to adding a camera to my station!

The camera upload went without a hitch using the TP Link.

Worth every penny to have a stable site with cam image.

And the cost for hosting is nominal for the privilege of ones own website, just the way you want it. I use ICD Soft for that.

Offline aesoprrp

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 06:37:16 PM »

The camera upload went without a hitch using the TP Link.

Worth every penny to have a stable site with cam image.

And the cost for hosting is nominal for the privilege of ones own website, just the way you want it. I use ICD Soft for that.

That is good to hear! I self-host a few things at home already (unraid server), but depending on how I end up building the site I will consider using an external provider.

anything