Author Topic: Which logger? A schematic  (Read 12257 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Which logger? A schematic
« on: June 18, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »
Edit: This post has been updated so that it now shows the latest iteration of the schematic rather than the first. The other older posts in the thread are no longer directly relevant. If you want to read more explanation and context then see: https://www.weatherstations.co.uk/pc_linkage.htm

With each new logger type that's launched it's getting increasingly tricky to explain to new users what role each type can fill. So I've concocted a schematic to try to help explain things but not sure how successful or complete it is. Any comments welcome. A few points:

* I've tried to keep it relatively simple so there's no attempt to include or name every individual logger type etc - just the mainstream ones;
* USB-type logger is shorthand for simple loggers, ie 6510USB and clones and indeed the serial logger;
* Enhanced loggers is just a convenient group term for WiFi Logger, Nano and the old WeatherlinkIP logger;
* I know weatherlink.com is in a sense just another cloud platform but it has a special prominence in the Davis ecosystem;
* This schematic focuses on VP2 wireless stations & also does not cover Davis remote stations like the Enviromonitor range or the Connect VP2 remote gateway;

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:19:58 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Which logger? A schematic
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »
EDIT: The comments on this post are no longer relevant for the previous post because the above diagram has been updated with a newer diagram revision.

A great idea and nice diagram, but I think this sways the decision towards an enhanced logger as it seems to have all the options even though it has some cons. I think the current depiction you have under-represents the power of the WeatherLink Live and its API and the ability to support multiple local 3rd party software simultaneously. Whereas the enhanced logger only support but one software as long as you properly don't compromise the Loop 2 timing for the software to get data which means you really can't run more than one software reliably with the enhanced logger option. There is also no indication that the USB option would be limited to just one software.

Maybe see if you can represent this in version 2 of your nice diagram.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:48:23 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
OK, many thanks. I'd like to keep it reasonably simple but try this - I've added a couple of short labels and varied the thickness of the connecting lines to give some indication of capability/utility.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:22:43 PM by galfert »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 03:25:01 PM »
 [tup] Perfect...nice elegant fix. For added clarity the WLL API support multiple programs on the same system or multiple systems.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:27:29 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
One more iteration then. (NB This image is on a transparent background - the contrast is actually a bit better against white rather than the grey of this page.)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:33:45 PM by galfert »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:01:22 PM »
For completeness, perhaps "USB-type" could be clarified (includes serial-type, USB adapter, etc.)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:06:53 AM »
Version F:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:35:19 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
A further evolution (really needs to be accompanied by a few explanatory notes, but here's the graphic on its own):

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:33:51 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 04:52:49 PM »
Ah, but the Weatherlink mobile app also talks direct to the WLL for real time data - when on the same LAN (and it hasn't "just stopped working"!)  :lol:
Mark

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »
OK. I am trying hard for this not to become like a metabolic map (if you've ever seen one of those) - I'm sure I could continue to add details almost forever. But:

Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 05:33:05 PM »
To me it is starting to look like the NYC subway metro map.   :lol:
Where does the Number 4 train stop?

Just kidding. I think it looks great. Nice job. I like seeing all the connectivity options and pros/cons. I don't think it is complicated if you take a moment to just take it one leg at a time. It is a lot more concise than any words could convey.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:49:44 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline JRHill

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 02:31:01 PM »
Appreciate the schematics. I have had the VP2 for many years with the serial adapter as my work laptop had a docking station with a DB9 serial and was always on. But my gosh I finally disconnected the site as I was tired of rebooting my work machine due to the flakey driver crashing. Hind site is always better - I sure wish I had purchased the ethernet adapter but was suspicious as we had satellite internet and that was just as problematic as the serial adapter. Not to mention speed, quotas, etc.

We are retired now, off grid and more remote than ever and still on satellite (HughsNet G5). No internet interconnection. I've been looking into the ethernet adapter so a few questions:

1) Bandwidth with quotas. Is this a concern in the least? TX is one thing. Getting RX back of locally generated data to several devices is another multiple and frankly rather irritating. No, we can't/don't stream anything and still kill our 30GBs most months. Other than the standard use our only other IOT device is the Outback Power Mate3 console. They were supposedly looking a 3rd party integration at one time. Even if that happened it probably be cloud to cloud but I'm just guessing. But it sure would be cool to have a cloud app that displayed weather, UV, power generation, usage and warnings all on one interface. And history. Maybe I should write my elected (?) officials.

2) What is the right Davis device for the above considering the current state of things?

3) A bunch of other questions but they will arise out of inputs to the above.

Best, JRH

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 04:20:04 AM »
Do you require to upload the weather data to a cloud service or do you want data available locally to yourself only?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline JRHill

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 02:19:25 PM »
Do you require to upload the weather data to a cloud service or do you want data available locally to yourself only?

Ultimately I prefer the cloud. Not because of need to access the data remotely but because I have lost valuable history several times due to hardware failures. This happened twice in 6 years with weather data and more recently with the system monitor for our off-grid solar monitor. The cloud solves this. I have had the ISS and Pro 2 for around 15 years with nothing more than sending it in for a factory refresh in 2019 so I don't think I can complain about the cost to replace the USB adapter with the ethernet adapter. Davis has a good product and excellent customer service.

Getting back to my original post, how much data would the ethernet adapter use? I'm sure I can choose the intervals the ethernet adapter communicates. Several minutes is more than adequate for intervals as I hope the maximums and minimums of sensors would be updated. What about an upload of data if the internet goes out due to weather and then comes back online?

Thanks in advance.

Offline clv101

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »
Great chart, thanks. I'm interesting in going down the WLL route, but not in paying the monthly subscription! Would be planning to upload historical data to a third party but left wondering what 'limited options' mean? Can I export all the historical data to be viewed through a third party?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 04:08:17 PM »
As it says, the chart is left relatively simple (!) in an attempt to avoid being too overwhelming. But the 'limited options' relates to uploads from the Davis weatherlink.com platform to other platforms. But at the moment this is limited to Weather Underground and CWOP. Davis do keep saying that further options are on the roadmap but so far it doesn't seem to be happening.

Bear in mind also that AFAIK it's only the current weather readings that are forwarded from wl.com to other platforms so any historical data would need to be generated by the third-party platform (although maybe the log of current readings eg every 15 minutes could be construed as historical data). But afraid I don't know whether CWOP or WU offers this option - possibly not.

TBH I think you have two main options:

1. Bite the bullet and get the Pro plan. I know this may be unattractive to some but it does work pretty well and is not that costly.

2. Run some other local software 24/7 that is compatible with WLL. One reasonably straightforward and inexpensive option here would be CumulusMX running on a Raspberry Pi, but there are other options too.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 04:18:52 PM »
Hey John,
A new version needed - add the AirLink ;)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
The AirLink is a standalone thing. The diagram is about logger options and software connectivity. The only point I see in adding the AirLink is to show that it is standalone.
Tele-Pole

Offline clv101

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
2. Run some other local software 24/7 that is compatible with WLL. One reasonably straightforward and inexpensive option here would be CumulusMX running on a Raspberry Pi, but there are other options too.
Thanks for your reply. After a bit more reading, I think a Pi Zero W and CumulusMX might well be the best option for me.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »
Thanks for your reply. After a bit more reading, I think a Pi Zero W and CumulusMX might well be the best option for me.

It was not really that hard to set up. Just speaking to the Pi and Cumulus portion.....data is console and metoepi

http://www.morewoodweather.ca/CumulusMX/gauges.htm

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 04:21:43 AM »
Only had my WLL for 2 days, hence visiting the thread again....

I see one link missing.
The one where CMX reads from WeatherLink to catch up on data.

Still sitting on the fence at this point with regard to the required Paid subscription to get that catch up data.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »

Still sitting on the fence at this point with regard to the required Paid subscription to get that catch up data
Hi Phil,
Presumably you have a free 30-day trial period...
My WL.com Pro subscription is expiring later in December and I will renew it.  I've found it very reliable for CMX catch up, and able to view historical data and charts Plot Chart (weatherlink.com)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2021, 03:33:05 AM »
Presumably you have a free 30-day trial period...

I didn't until earlier today.

Will see how it pans out as to whether I stick with or not.
That said, one of my justification on expenses is "IT" Vs Beer.

On that basis, it's easy to justify a years subscription Vs a Week's liquid refreshments.
Very similar price.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »
I see one link missing.
The one where CMX reads from WeatherLink to catch up on data.

As per the comment in my original post, I tried to keep the schematic relatively simple so as not to confuse new viewers (but not sure how successful that aim has been). There are several additional links and qualifications that could be added but that risk making the schematic less easy to understand. And this CMX catch-up feature falls into that basket I suspect.

But I'll certainly bear it in mind at the next revision.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sink45ny

• KC2YYF
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 01:30:56 PM »
The WLL show a light gray line going to a PC. How is this connection achieved?

I have a WLL and a PC. In my current configuration the WLL communicates with my router and the data is sent to the Davis "cloud". From there I can download it to my PC. I would like to capture the data locally and skip the download step.

Thanks!!
Steve
Davis Vantage Pro2 6162