Author Topic: Spring/Summer 2023  (Read 7330 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Spring/Summer 2023
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2023, 09:45:00 AM »
Record high 87 on Wednesday.
Snow and windy today.

At least it is only snowing on the grass :grin:

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2023, 01:39:39 PM »
Record high 87 on Wednesday.
Snow and windy today.

At least it is only snowing on the grass :grin:
Ahhhh! Spring in the upper midwest. Gotta love it! :-)
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2023, 08:53:59 PM »
From snow on the ground to 87 to snow on the ground

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2023, 11:23:34 AM »
85 F for a high yesterday (17 April) after a morning low of 21.  64 F diurnal range. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2023, 08:36:44 PM »
85 F for a high yesterday (17 April) after a morning low of 21.  64 F diurnal range.
That's insane. With your wild diurnal swings, how does the vegetation handle that freeze/hot stuff time and again?

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2023, 09:27:58 PM »
This one was rather extreme. 50 degree diurnal ranges are a lot more common, but spring and fall are favorite seasons for those. We are in a shallow bowl here and so favor the cold air in the morning. On this particular morning, my reading was between 3 and 8 degrees lower than other sites within 20 miles. I live in a non-populated area as well, so the effects of civilization upon microclimate are limited.

Most all the vegetation that we have here has adapted for such a climate. That would be the only answer I could think of. Not a heck of a lot of trees here except along some water courses, and the native grass is tough old stuff.  :-)

I have a relative down in S Arizona and have visited the national park there near Tucson. You have your share of wild swings in temperature too...to say nothing of your lack of rain. I guess it is called adapt or die. Something the human race should be paying attention to, in my humble opinion.

Anyway, keeping track of the precip, temps, and wind keeps me occupied in my retirement. Take care, sir.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2023, 06:22:52 PM »
Record May snow up in the Appalachians in WV. 12" of snow as of Wednesday morning at Snowshoe Ski Resort with the snow still pouring throughout the day, which destroyed the old record (records date back to 1975). It was also the biggest snow of the season as it was a historically dry snow season for most of the Appalachians, Snowshoe included. Another nearby town had records broken dating back well over 100 years.

60s and 70s returning by Friday.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
This one was rather extreme. 50 degree diurnal ranges are a lot more common, but spring and fall are favorite seasons for those. We are in a shallow bowl here and so favor the cold air in the morning. On this particular morning, my reading was between 3 and 8 degrees lower than other sites within 20 miles. I live in a non-populated area as well, so the effects of civilization upon microclimate are limited.

Most all the vegetation that we have here has adapted for such a climate. That would be the only answer I could think of. Not a heck of a lot of trees here except along some water courses, and the native grass is tough old stuff.  :-)

I have a relative down in S Arizona and have visited the national park there near Tucson. You have your share of wild swings in temperature too...to say nothing of your lack of rain. I guess it is called adapt or die. Something the human race should be paying attention to, in my humble opinion.

Anyway, keeping track of the precip, temps, and wind keeps me occupied in my retirement. Take care, sir.

I'm doing the same retired a tad early in my 50s and moved to my original hometown where the weather is most interesting.  Just got back from the San Tan Valley area visiting my son and daughter-in-law south of Phoenix and can confirm you get outside the Phoenix heat Island the climate is so much cooler.  He has an accurate sensirion sensor and it was getting into the mid-40s for lows while Phoenix Sky Harbor was closer to 70. Daytime it was upper 80s when I was there so around a 45-degree swing with the dry air. 
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2023, 08:41:54 PM »
I said we'd have no spring this year (which means no HVAC in my book), but it's been pretty good in that regard. Not only, May is technically our driest month, but we may actually see some rain/thunderstorms early next week from an anomalous low to our north pushing PW's to pre-monsoonal levels. That'd be nice! Must be that gas stove/dishwasher/HVAC/no drilling/no anything sane only EV ban taking effect! Whew! Just in the nick of time, too!  =D>

Offline DJ Cane

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2023, 05:25:02 AM »
I said we'd have no spring this year (which means no HVAC in my book), but it's been pretty good in that regard.

Not much Spring to speak of here in Portland. With the exception of a few weeks ago we're catapulting from 50s/60s and rain to mid 90s this week.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2023, 06:59:16 PM »
Woo-hoo! This upcoming week is shaping up to be a monsoon like, although, nothing to do with the monsoon, as this anomalous low will cut to our west making a very favorable scenario for scattered rain and t-storms in my neck of the woods. Our PW this time of year is usually around a bone dry 0.25", but will be pushing into the 1" range. Convective temps should be easily reached every day, making for some decent CAPE. We just don't see this in May...  \:D/

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2023, 10:54:03 AM »
summer has hit in north central Florida.
Had a storm last friday with winds, rain, thunder and lightning and the sun was shinning the whole time.  :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2023, 05:28:58 PM »
Interesting afternoon and evening coming up in Chicago area. Message from the NWS Chicago office:

Primary (only) forecast concern in short term is well advertised pneumonia front expected to blow in off the lake late this
afternoon.
. . . still looks like temps should drop from around 80 into the 50s in minutes with the fropa between about 22-00z.
- Izzi

We get these sometimes especially in the spring time when the lake water is still cold. It's currently 81.5°, off shore water temp is around 55°.  I'll check in this evening with an update on temps.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2023, 05:47:01 PM »
Here we are having hazy skies caused by smoke from wildfires in Canada.  From the NWS Twin Cities Office this afternoon: "As we`re seeing today, anytime we get into northwest flow, it will likely come with a side of Canadian wildfire smoke."

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2023, 08:39:13 AM »
An update on yesterday's Pneumonia Front.

Started the day around 48°, got up to 81° at 5 pm, dropped to around 57° during my daughter's softball practice and woke up to 42° this morning.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2023, 09:24:45 AM »
Don't let the smoke get in your eyes!

Capture from yesterday, VIIRS Today/NOAA-20

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2023, 10:02:41 AM »
Really bad in Valentine Nebraska. 472 on the purple air. Keep an air purifier mainly for pollen and with the bedroom window open last night it went nuts on turbo-high.  Visibility at the airport under 1/2 mile. 

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0?key=DXKJI5X45K5DTCF4&select=108128#5.39/41.892/-101.316

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 10:10:24 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2023, 02:23:07 AM »
A current 63F dew point and 0.30" of rain in mid-May.  I'm sure some records will fall.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2023, 07:16:22 AM »
A comment from the NWS Chicago office:

On an interesting climate note, Chicago O`Hare has only received 0.42 inches of rain for the entire month of May, ranking this as the second driest May in observed Chicago weather history.
Ratzer

My lawn is extra crispy!

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2023, 09:02:59 AM »
Our extreme drought continues, no measurable rain for the last 16 days. And the Canadian wildfire smoke continues to obscure our skies. At least the warm temperatures are without much humidity but the downside is having to water the garden and flowers every day, lawn is toast.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2023, 10:32:25 AM »
Not a traditional spring here this year.  Some periods of record highs followed by periods of below seasonal temperatures, and lots of sunshine.  Month of May had the lowest rain of any month in my 15 years of weather recording.  May 1, 2, 3 had a couple of mm and May 19-20 a total of 10 mm and that is all in the past 35 days and no rain in sight.   http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll//betel_datasummary.php?lang=en

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2023, 05:23:24 PM »
Incredible view of the Canadian wildfire smoke affecting the east coast.

I thought we had it bad in Chicago.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2023, 02:24:18 PM »
Had a lot of smoke here yesterday. Better today. Much better.
Surprisingly, we made the national news. Rare since we are so far from a coast.

I should be washing and waxing cars today-It is 65.. but I decided to rest. Will work on Legos later and wash cars tomorrow.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2023, 02:03:33 AM »
Finally, a plenty decent storm without going overly crazy came here Sat. night for this dry storm season.  The storm arrived in Stillwater at my location with a wind gust of up to 37 mph. Storm chaser west of town had it up to 60 mph. A tornado warning was issued for west of town but fortunately it did not continue to advance. So, the chilling sound of tornado sirens didn't have to be triggered. 

The noisy blowing heavy rain from the storm was incredible.  For a brief moment the rain was falling at 12.80 inches per hour.  In 45 minutes, it had rained 1.25" before letting up. That may not sound impressive, but it was the heaviest storm, so far, for this dryer than usual season. Fortunately, the storm didn't come with constant lightning or any hail.  At least 2228 out of 21803 customers lost power in town but not here. 

As the storm continued moving to the east, Tulsa is said to have had a rough time with it.

Latest drought monitor has Stillwater in the moderate drought category.  Speaking of washing cars, there is a fad of many new auto car washes opening up in Stillwater.  Maybe it will rain more from a lot more people washing their cars.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 03:08:15 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2023, 08:10:58 AM »
Finally, a plenty decent storm without going overly crazy came here Sat. night for this dry storm season.  The storm arrived in Stillwater at my location with a wind gust of up to 37 mph. Storm chaser west of town had it up to 60 mph. A tornado warning was issued for west of town but fortunately it did not continue to advance. So, the chilling sound of tornado sirens didn't have to be triggered. 

The noisy blowing heavy rain from the storm was incredible.  For a brief moment the rain was falling at 12.80 inches per hour.  In 45 minutes, it had rained 1.25" before letting up. That may not sound impressive, but it was the heaviest storm, so far, for this dryer than usual season. Fortunately, the storm didn't come with constant lightning or any hail.  At least 2228 out of 21803 customers lost power in town but not here. 

As the storm continued moving to the east, Tulsa is said to have had a rough time with it.

Latest drought monitor has Stillwater in the moderate drought category.  Speaking of washing cars, there is a fad of many new auto car washes opening up in Stillwater.  Maybe it will rain more from a lot more people washing their cars.
A nice storm without a T is always good.  [tup]
 Had a nice one come through yesterday morning. Woke up to dark dreary skies with heavy rain and lightning.
Just how I like to start the day. :-)  That is if I'm not working.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

anything