Author Topic: VWS and 4k Resolution  (Read 4105 times)

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
VWS and 4k Resolution
« on: December 07, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
I think I already know the answer to this, but has anybody found a way to run VWS in 4k resolution that uses the entire screen rather than the upper left quarter of the screen?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

P.

Offline GWD

• Sacramento Valley, CA
Re: VWS and 4k Resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 10:26:03 PM »
Wow! That is weird. I haven't been on the forum for at least a year, had a question, and it is right here - top of the list.

Anyway, I too, bought a large (32") UHD monitor and VWS comes up as tiny. I'd like to be able to get it near full screen like my 24" monitor but the black background area will only go so big. However, it can be made a little wider. All of my other apps are normal - but larger of course.

I'm suspicious about uninstalling and re-installing since Ambient has changed their log-in requirements and I'm likely not registered anymore.

Is there anyway to get that black background "blackboard" to display larger. Then I could resize the data modules to larger without a problem.

Offline GWD

• Sacramento Valley, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »
The only way I've found to change the VWS size is to change the resolution of the monitor. Oh, well.

Wish somebody would pick up the patent or license for VWS and update/upgrade it. Nothing compares IMO. Tried Weather Display and gave up halfway through the set up.

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 05:28:48 PM »
GWD -- that was the conclusion I came to also. I agree they should open source the code and let others do the updates, etc.

Have a good and safe New Year!

P.

Offline AllenMcw

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »
Hello,

I don't know if the old email address for the owner is still good but I tried to send him an email to request that he opensource the VWS source code so that others can continue making updates to it and adding features.

This issue with the 4K monitors is very annoying.  :-|

Allen

P.S. So far at least my email has NOT been returned as undeliverable . I'll be sure to update this topic if/when I hear back from the author.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:52:25 PM by AllenMcw »

Offline GWD

• Sacramento Valley, CA
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »
Good for you!

Thanks for taking the initiative.

Offline pertman

• Data on Wunderground
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 10:17:28 AM »
I have found a workaround for this problem. There is a program called "Display Changer 2". This allows you to start a program with any supported resolution. It is available at https://12noon.com/?page_id=641

Here is the coding to start VWS in 1920 (HD) resolution (obviously you will need to change the paths to match your setup): Y:\dc2_1.5.0\dc2.exe -configure="y:\dc2_1.5.0\VWSHD1920.xml" "c:\vws\vws.exe"
You need to have the quote marks as shown. Also, attached is my xml file as noted.

Hope this helps!

P.

Offline AllenMcw

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »
Thanks for that! :)

In my case I had already been using VWS in 1920x1080 resolution with my old monitors.

I see says the blind man. The dc2 program actually changes the resolution to 1920x1080. The only downside is when using another program on that particular monitor the resolution will be wrong for it. Nevertheless it is useful.

For me I run VWS in the background at all times so I don't have to reload it each time I want to check my weather stats.

Thanks again
Allen
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:48:47 PM by AllenMcw »

Offline AllenMcw

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 03:26:12 PM »
All,

Ok I received a reply from the author of VWS. I will paraphrase here because I'm not sure if it is legal to copy/paste his entire email.

He is concerned about the number of questions it would raise by doing this and taking too much of his time. He also stated that VWS is based on the LabWindows/CVI platform and requires National Instruments compiler and the learning curve is substantial even for a software developer.

He stated that he has moved on to his new server at AmbientWeather.net.

And now for my comments to his reply.

I do appreciate him taking the time to respond. As a software developer myself, I would not mind the challenge of making changes to VWS to support 4K resolution and other changes/bug fixes. At the same time I do realize he would likely get a lot of questions if he open sourced the source code.

He is selling a device called WeatherBridge which can connect directly to for example the Vantage Pro 2 console. It uploads to Weather Underground (and other online sites). This device sells for $149.99. I have asked him if we get the same level of customization as VWS has always offered. I'll update when he replies to this.

As far as VWS goes, we are likely out of luck unless he changes his mind which I think is doubtful.

All the best,
Allen

Offline GWD

• Sacramento Valley, CA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 04:01:51 PM »
Allen:

Well, you gave it an excellent try. Much appreciated.

Those of us who are not coding experts are just going to have to endure.

Display Changer 2 seems a bit too advanced for the under-educated. But the information the poster provided is valuable for computer gurus.

Offline dret

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2021, 02:55:38 PM »
As a workaround - on WIN 10
I close VWS and change the display resolution to 1920 x 1080 with 125% scaling.
Then Start VWS, once stabilized
I change the resolution back to 4k 3840 x 2160 with 250% scaling.
VWS window needs to be adjusted but after that I can read it just fine.

Yes, I'm still running VWS and it has migrated through 3 computers over the years.
I have not found anything I like to replace it yet.

Regards,
DRET

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2021, 05:21:45 PM »
(I realize this is an old thread)

Allen thanks for trying to get a great program back in the mainstream. I hope someday the author will let it go open source. I am still running it as well along with 5 other weather programs thanks to Virtual Vantage Pro (another excellent program inspite of what others think).

DRET thanks for your hack? patch? Glad to see another VWS user keeping it going. My VWS also provides graphics for an old Kodak wireless picture frame in slideshow mode.

Offline dret

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2021, 07:13:30 PM »
Thanks for the idea.  I have one of those in a drawer around here somewhere.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »
Since I am not uploading the VWS jpegs to a web site I just point the Kodak to the folder on the weather computer. As VWS creates new and overwrites the old jpegs the Kodak refreshes its display. I also have other pics in the same folder to display as part of the slide show.

Offline bAdbOb

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2021, 12:32:09 PM »
The following has worked for me on many old school applications. Sometimes the results look a little pixelated, especially fonts, but it is better than getting out my magnifying glass :grin:

1. Go to whatever folder containing the xxx.exe program.
2. Right click on 'xxx.exe'.
3. Left click on 'Properties'.
4. Left click the 'Compatibility tab'.
5. Left click on 'Change high DPI settings'.
6. Left click box for 'Overide high DPI scaling behavior'.
7. Scaling performed by: Click on drop down box just below and select 'System'.
8. Click ‘Apply’, then ‘OK’.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:47:16 PM by bAdbOb »

anything