Author Topic: 5 in 1 - Bad Temp. Sensor?  (Read 858 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
5 in 1 - Bad Temp. Sensor?
« on: November 03, 2018, 07:49:02 AM »
This is from my 1.5 year old 5 in 1 over at the coast.  Is this likely a temp. sensor gone bad?  (It's a harsh environment due to the wind, rain and salt air.)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: 5 in 1 - Bad Temp. Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »
AcuRite does have a temp/humidity sensor replacement for the newer 5-N-1 models.

https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 08:21:06 AM »
Did you try doing a reset of your five and one removing the batteries sometimes when batteries go low it messes with the temperature reading
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
AcuRite does have a temp/humidity sensor replacement for the newer 5-N-1 models.

https://www.acurite.com/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-replacement-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

Thanks, does the actual sensor chip have a hole in it's plastic case that allows for sampling the temp and humidity?  Is there anything under that IC's sampling hole that can become contaminated/corroded from a salt air environment?

Can it be cleaned out with a contact cleaner?

Did you try doing a reset of your five and one removing the batteries sometimes when batteries go low it messes with the temperature reading.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I didn't know low batteries would make the readings go whacky.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »

Thanks, does the actual sensor chip have a hole in it's plastic case that allows for sampling the temp and humidity?  Is there anything under that IC's sampling hole that can become contaminated/corroded from a salt air environment?

Can it be cleaned out with a contact cleaner?

Did you try doing a reset of your five and one removing the batteries sometimes when batteries go low it messes with the temperature reading.

Thanks, that's good to know.  I didn't know low batteries would make the readings go whacky.

Yes.  You can see the window in this picture.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

There is a membrane in the window that can get contaminated by various chemicals.  Some will eventually out-gas.  Some will not.

I've never heard of anyone successfully "cleaning" the membrane.  I've no idea what is in contact cleaner.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 01:49:02 PM »
I was just going to ask George if you've heard of anybody cleaning the board.
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »
I was just going to ask George if you've heard of anybody cleaning the board.

Cleaning the board sometimes helps.  I'd stay away from the window and the membrane, though.

Offline John Z

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 03:36:42 PM »
So what's in an electronic contact cleaner? Typically a blend of several volatile solvents, and maybe a lubricant. No way I'd let that get into a T&H sensor.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 03:38:21 PM »
So what's in an electronic contact cleaner? Typically a blend of several volatile solvents, and maybe a lubricant. No way I'd let that get into a T&H sensor.

Oh.  I was thinking contact cleaner as in lenses.   :shock:

Offline John Z

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
Yup, it could be interpreted that way too ! Probably just as bad for the sensor, though!

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
Op, let us know if you find a fix.
KMIBADAX38

Offline John Z

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »
George, regarding contact lens cleaners, they appear to be mostly water with some salts or organic salt-like compounds. My view: keep 'em away from your sensor!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 04:41:44 PM »
George, regarding contact lens cleaners, they appear to be mostly water with some salts or organic salt-like compounds. My view: keep 'em away from your sensor!

Most definitely.  And I'd keep the electronic contact cleaner away from the eyes.   ;)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »
Thanks guys.  It'll be several days but I'm anxious to take apart this 5 in 1 and see how it survived it's first year on an oceanfront cliff. I'm pretty sure it's either weak batteries or a bad temp sensor module.  This 5 in 1 is a late model with the sealed circuit board traces to the SHT21 ship so I doubt it's trace corrosion like on the early 5 in 1's.

anything