Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 184205 times)

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »
I learned today one of the reasons for my webcam upload failures. I can not use passive ftp transfers directly from my webcam.

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #301 on: January 29, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »
My Raspberry pi went down for few hours on 27th when I was out of station resulting in missing records for 5 hours. I now fixed the missing records using wunderfixer but the summary table is not getting updated. It is still showing min of 16.4c whereas the table has records of 16.2c now.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IBANGALO9#history/s20180127/e20180127/mdaily

Have posted the same in trello board also. Posting here again for suggestions from fellow forum members.

Offline Carl_S

« Reply #302 on: January 29, 2018, 04:53:48 AM »
At UTC 09:37 January 29 2018 my weather station ISRTRNDE19  has disappeared from Wundermap again.
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ISRTRNDE19

I have checked, and all data is uploaded, and correct. Should have been shown with a temperature  of  -2.4   degrees celsius.

While  the nearby Netatmo stations were offline, my station was shown all the time.
Wunderstation says station not reporting, but it does report every 5 minutes.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #303 on: January 29, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
My camera is happy it's been updating every few minutes.  But it feels say that several of it's camera friends around it have not been updating
for 17 to 20 hours.  KTXTHALI2
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #304 on: January 29, 2018, 12:37:18 PM »
I can't update my station message now either  :roll:
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline looney2ns

• http://members.sigecom.net/looney2ns/
« Reply #305 on: January 29, 2018, 01:20:59 PM »
As far as my issues with WU, page is extremely slow at loading, Webcam uploads fail majority of the time.
Many of the same issue's listed by others in this thread.

A lot of comments relate to issue's occurring in the past 6 months.
This is nothing new, most of the issues have been ongoing for a few years now.
Webcams have not been reliable for a loooonnnnggg time. 2-3yrs at least.

First item of business for the accuracy of data, is stop accepting any data from a Neatamo station.

Ether the equip is horrid, or the owners are mounting the outdoor sensors in their garage or living room. ;)
This has been the case since they first arrived on the market.

Maybe some nice camo duck tape would help. :)

Food for thought:
"TWC bought Weather Bonk in 2007 giving much of the same platitudes it gave last week when it announced buying WU.  In 2011 Weather Bonk was shut down.

"I am looking forward to continuing to develop the Weather Bonk properties aided by the resources of The Weather Channel Interactive,"  David Schorr, founder of Weather Bonk, 2007

"Having the infrastructure, resources, and content of The Weather Channel Companies will enable wunderground to create some great new products, and improve the quality and reliability of our existing content."  Dr. Jeff Masters, July 02, 2012

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:57:50 PM by looney2ns »

Offline looney2ns

« Reply #306 on: January 29, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
I learned today one of the reasons for my webcam upload failures. I can not use passive ftp transfers directly from my webcam.

Maybe, maybe not. When it's completely unreliable, how can one tell.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #307 on: January 29, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »
"Having the infrastructure, resources, and content of The Weather Channel Companies will enable wunderground to create some great new products, and improve the quality and reliability of our existing content."  Dr. Jeff Masters, July 02, 2012

Heh, I'd like to see what Dr. Masters has to say about his baby now... 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:27:46 PM by azchrisf »
My setup:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2018, 08:00:45 PM »
My bloomsky won't update the web pictures any more.  So I decided to try something else, have one of my ip cameras send the data directly and that doesn't work.  Where I am right now, screw Bloomsky and Not intersted in sending WU pictures anymore.  Yes, I have written the WU support staff.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
My camera is happy it's been updating every few minutes.  But it feels say that several of it's camera friends around it have not been updating

24 hours poof they are gone off map  so sad
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »

24 hours poof they are gone off map  so sad

I am considering taking down the Bloomsky and be done with all this nonsense.   I am using webcam.io for my two ip cameras and it is fine. Sure Iwill send data to WU, but pictures no.   It might be a while before i take it down.  the back yard is a mine field with the dog depositing his.. well, deposits around.. :(

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #311 on: January 30, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
Considering my "goldstar" station has now fallen off the 'wunderwhymap', and the fact that zero progress is being reported on Trello, and the last comment on this thread by the WU team was #179, it seems pretty ominous that WU isn't faring well. It's one thing to open up a dialog with the contributing members, and another to go completely silent. That in itself is a telling sign. I PM'd Sean a week ago but received no acknowledgement nor response. All in all, this whole exercise is exhausting and as others have mentioned, the fate of WU is pretty doubtful IMHO.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2018, 02:29:48 PM »
All in all, this whole exercise is exhausting and as others have mentioned, the fate of WU is pretty doubtful IMHO.
It certainly is looking like that was little more than online triage attempting to put out social media fires without really having any plan.  Or to put it another way, business as usual at WU.

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #313 on: January 30, 2018, 02:32:46 PM »
Exactly what I posted earlier in the thread. Amazing how companies think alike...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

My setup:

Offline looney2ns

« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »

After reading this, I played around with using BlueIris to update my webcam. By unchecking Passive, and limiting FTP connections to 1, it has for the most part been updating for 48 hrs every 10 minutes without a miss.  :?

All other webcams around me have disappeared. That's somewhere in the amount of 6 or so.
Webstation data is ok, and their site seems to be loading quicker the past 24hrs.
I'll not hold my breath.

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:17 PM »
My name is Sean and I work at the Weather Underground. 

Our goal is to be fully transparent with the community as we work to resolve some of the issues with the Weather Underground products, particularly as it relates to our PWS users. 

Our hope is that with some communication and some sharing of our plans as clearly as possible, we can help to make changes for the positive.

We are going to do our best with what we have to improve, and to be as transparent as possible about our progress.

Really?  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I love the use of the word "transparent". No word from any WU personnel here or on their Trello for quite sometime.........transparent? Pfft

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
Maybe there still looking for the backup file of when WU almost worked right. The code was probably written on an old Win 98 machine  :roll:
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2018, 11:10:00 PM »
Maybe there still looking for the backup file of when WU almost worked right. The code was probably written on an old Win 98 machine  :roll:

No. Probably a Windows 95 computer with a dial up modem!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 11:14:35 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #318 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »
My name is Sean and I work at the Weather Underground. 

Our goal is to be fully transparent with the community as we work to resolve some of the issues with the Weather Underground products, particularly as it relates to our PWS users. 

Our hope is that with some communication and some sharing of our plans as clearly as possible, we can help to make changes for the positive.

We are going to do our best with what we have to improve, and to be as transparent as possible about our progress.

Really?  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I love the use of the word "transparent". No word from any WU personnel here or on their Trello for quite sometime.........transparent? Pfft

At least the data has been more reliable.  I'm not putting out my camera again until I see some more positive comments about how it's working.  I think the Status and some other config items are still not working...so give it time.  They said it was going to take a long time.  It would, however, be nice if they'd at least give an end-of-week synopsis of what was done and the plan for the following week.  Just sayin'...

Offline aulen2002

« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »
My webcam FTP had been working (when the system was generally up), however when looking into the recent missing cam this week, status shows as inactive and my FTP test from my camera now fails. Nothing was changed on my end, so WU must have broke something else.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 08:28:34 AM by aulen2002 »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2018, 08:53:12 AM »
It's been pretty quiet lately no replies from the WU "team" here  :roll:
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #321 on: January 31, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »

With Groundhog coming soon, they are hiding in their burrows.   I have sent two support requests and their 24hr policy they claim of getting back... well they never do. I guess a person could post anything to make you think they are working on it.   So far none of my cameras are showing up on WU.  Most of my cameras respond with a FTP error, when they worked perfectly before.   or I get  "421 Too many connections (2) from this IP" from them as well.  I think their servers are down,  January 25 was one time I had an image.

Is anyone getting images consistently posted?

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #322 on: January 31, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »
Mine is working just fine right now FTP upload. One thing that worked for me was going to an odd number for upload which for me is seconds. Try 11 min instead of 10, also when my cameras quite in the past I just went through the whole process of signing up my camera as new. I have 5 cameras that are not uploading and one that is and they are all the same camera. Reason I tried this is if I had to take my camera down for an extended time and WU showed that it was not active it would never show back up after restarting it until I started over new.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »

With Groundhog coming soon, they are hiding in their burrows.   I have sent two support requests and their 24hr policy they claim of getting back... well they never do. I guess a person could post anything to make you think they are working on it.
They came charging outa the gate threw us a bone now nothing :-({|=
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline n4khq

« Reply #324 on: January 31, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
My PWS data upload and page is much improved and I have no complaints. Webcam has been last down 2 days. Ben has posted on Trello the problem with webcams, is server load balancing. Two of the  their 8 servers are trying to handle all the load. The Webcam code was written years ago, and the authors are gone. Probably not well documented. The code for the webcam uploads has to be totally rewritten from scratch. Several month ago the managers made a decision to drop webcam mainly because of the issues I described. They are now committed to fix the web cams but patching legacy code can be 100 times harder that writing from scratch. However, development takes months if not years and then there is the switch over causing more issues. I assure the group is working extremely hard trying to get the webcams working again to buy time to develop the new webcam ingestion code.

If I were Sean, and getting beat to death, I would not post either. What can he say that he has not already said. He sure does not have time to answer PM form users. I'm sure Sean boss done want him spend 2 hours a day blogging on this site.

anything