Author Topic: Snow measurements  (Read 6198 times)

Offline EA1EF

Re: Snow measurements
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
I think easier simplest and cheaper system are based on Davis vantage Pro2 ISS and Console. Using a Maxsonar Snow depth sensor (about 120$) lies to DAVIS ISS VPS conecting on RADIATION PORT. Need bridge the source regulated 3v for alwais sourced (to the radiation port only use ground and measures analogic signal)

On console actibate radiation measures and finally only need make the formula to convert radiation to centimeters.

Maxsonar have temperature compensation and can use an aditional temperature sensor for 4$

other Davis Vantage basis can use the same ISS and receiving data with envoy8x as RAW data and can scaled and take the ouput in mm, the problem are WDTU not upload to FTP the measures and need Raspberry and meteohub to upload masures...

other way are with same Maxsonar sensor read RS232 or TTL ouput from raspberry and uses any utility for read and upload to FTP.

other very cheap way are WIFI iobridge IO-201 (60$) and maxsonar snow depth in analogic (tested only in analogic, my disgrace serial data do not work by the moment)

i have campbell SR50 sensor for any test and

we have interest on any idea for measure snow deph and surface temperature with IR sensor

in the net can read info for measure with laser distaciometer (any meteorological services as Germany are changed all sensors from ultrasonic to laser...

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Snow measurements
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
I think easier simplest and cheaper system are based on Davis vantage Pro2 ISS and Console. Using a Maxsonar Snow depth sensor (about 120$) lies to DAVIS ISS VPS conecting on RADIATION PORT. Need bridge the source regulated 3v for alwais sourced (to the radiation port only use ground and measures analogic signal)  ..........
Interesting Idea.... However...since this thread concerns CoCoRaHS reporting, not personal or hobby, or a network just reporting snow depth, of which there are several... and a $30 rain gauge, a ruler, and a few other odds and ends from time to time do not equal the cost of the equipment you describe.. ;)
CoCoRaHS 'end goal'  as a "citizen scientist' network is reporting of Water. (Oh, we report a lot more than water... even severe weather issues)
The mechanical measurements following the various suggested procedures, equipment for snow depth and water content should be followed, exclusively.  CoCoRaHS would normally not accept electronic Rain, Hail, Sleet, New Snow Fall, Total Snow Depth, and water equivalent reports, if they were aware that was their source.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:28:00 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything