Author Topic: CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge Lifespan?  (Read 8798 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge Lifespan?
« on: May 21, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »
I've had my CoCoRaHS rain gauge since April of 2007. The outer portion of the gauge is so clouded and crazed that you cannot tell if the inner tube is even there or not. While I know this really doesn't impact the readings, I am a bit surprised that the gauge is not made out of a material that will withstand the elements. I am about to purchase a completely new unit as the mounting bracket is also badly crazed and has several deep cracks in it. Here in northern Nevada we get low temps from around -15°F to somewhat over 100°F. We have many days of cloudless conditions year-round so it takes in a lot UV rays.

Has anyone else experienced a similar deterioration of their CoCoRaHS rain gauge?

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: CoCoRaHS Rain Gauge Lifespan?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:05:04 AM »
I have only had mine for a year, May 2012, and the bottom part of the cylinder cracked off. But super glue helped that out :-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:39:52 AM »
In July it will be 5 years for me. So far the gauge has held up pretty well. It is clouded and scratched but not close to what you are experiencing. I think the UV rays are the culprit as opposed to temperature.
Maybe try mounting it under a tree so it stays out of the sun. :lol:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »
I have two big tubes.  I swap them out and do the measuring in the house.  Perhaps that makes them last longer. :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:13:11 AM »
Yep, UV and stuff.  Anybody's automobile headlight covers ever do this???  :twisted:
Same Same...

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
"Anybody's automobile headlight covers ever do this??? "

Speaking of which. Has anyone tried the auto headlight polish? I'll have to replace my gauge before too long and after I have the replacement installed, I'll try that polish.

George

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:37:07 PM »
"Anybody's automobile headlight covers ever do this??? "

Speaking of which. Has anyone tried the auto headlight polish? I'll have to replace my gauge before too long and after I have the replacement installed, I'll try that polish.

George
I've got the Sylvania brand. I haven't used it yet because the final set (application of UV blocking clear coat) suggests a 6 hour drying time for best results.

When I'm able to do it, I'll take before and after photos. I'll be sure to post in the Chit Chat section.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:50:36 AM »
"I've got the Sylvania brand. I haven't used it yet because the final set (application of UV blocking clear coat) suggests a 6 hour drying time for best results."

If you're saying you're going to try this on a 4" gauge, be sure to mask off the top inch so the funnel will fit back on.

George

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
Hmmm, headlight polish. I just finished doing that to my '99 Buick which had very cloudy lenses. Got my polishing kit at Harbor Freight ($9.95 on sale). They both look brand-new now. Took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. Will have to try it on my CoCoRaHS outer tube and see what happens. It can't make it any worse than it already is. Will try it tomorrow if I can find some time.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 01:27:20 AM »
My wife found this stuff for getting the yellow out of the headlight lenses. Works great for minor scratches all over the car too. Says on the back "Imported form U.S.A." (sp)  :roll: so it may be over there.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 08:03:53 AM »
I've a feeling you'll find the butyrate affected all the way through. None of those fixes helped mine, but they sure made 'it shiny! My first one was fine for two years, and in the third year it almost seemed to cloud overnight... that one's still in use, however, - I gave it to a friend who registered, and still reports daily. Keeps saying he's gonna get a new one, but "I can still read it... it's cool". ;)

Le'ssee:  $10 - $20 for lens kit; 0.5 - 1 hr labor at $12.00hr - gas for trip to store: $3.50...= $19.50 - $35.50 ... or somewhere close to a new one.
Starting a new observer: Priceless

(Course I'm personally worth more than $12/hr, but had to put something there  8-) )...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:15:44 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:19 AM »
Maybe somebody can decode this for help:
http://www.eastman.com/Literature_Center/P/PP104.pdf
I come up with a non-crazed life of 2.5-5 years, and then insanity :-0
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:20:17 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »

Well, after reading that document and if I am interpreting it correctly, it seems to indicate that a maximum lifespan for me in my sunny environment here in the high desert of northern Nevada should be a max of 5 years. So, given that information, my rain gauge is doing just fine.

However, it would be nice if CoCoRaHS or the documentation included with each gauge would indicate a typical lifespan to be expected. As mentioned in a previous post by Cutty Sark, it would probably be much cheaper to simply plan on replacing the unit every 4-5 years. Replacing individual parts just isn't very cost effective.

So guess, I'll just buy a new one and be done with the issue. Isn't that called planned obsolescence???

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 02:19:39 AM »
In July it will be 5 years for me. So far the gauge has held up pretty well. It is clouded and scratched but not close to what you are experiencing. I think the UV rays are the culprit as opposed to temperature.
Maybe try mounting it under a tree so it stays out of the sun. :lol:

About the same time and condition as mine. One difference is I had a leask in the inner tube of mine . I took some clear epoxy and sanded the surface down on the bottow to slightly rough feeling and applied the epoxy and let is setup. That has been atleast 3 - 4 years ago and it's still holding. But they both(inner and outer) are a little cloudy. All in all not too bad to have a tree fall on it and knock it off the mount. Only put a crack in the mount.. Deck didn't fair no so well :)

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 07:56:57 AM »
Well, after reading that document and if I am interpreting it correctly, it seems to indicate that a maximum lifespan for me in my sunny environment here in the high desert of northern Nevada should be a max of 5 years. So, given that information, my rain gauge is doing just fine.
However, it would be nice if CoCoRaHS or the documentation included with each gauge would indicate a typical lifespan to be expected. As mentioned in a previous post by Cutty Sark, it would probably be much cheaper to simply plan on replacing the unit every 4-5 years. Replacing individual parts just isn't very cost effective.
So guess, I'll just buy a new one and be done with the issue. Isn't that called planned obsolescence???
I posted the document to CoCoRaHS ... I'm sure Nolan and Zach et.al. will follow up as appropriate.
I don't think it's planned obsolescence... just the nature of the material. Since it's an organic derivative from wood, would be more like "bio-degradable"  #-o  (ouch...!)
The gauge is sold under several name brands, besides the non-branded Lucy gets for us at Weatheryourway... the name brands are anywhere from $35-$60 for the same butyrate. Haven't noticed any of them exposing life rating.  We're among the lucky few to know it, now. :twisted:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 08:33:58 AM »
I'm wondering if you could apply some sort of sun block application such as this to shield the plastic from the sun and prolong it's life. Of course the cost from how frequently you would have to re-apply it (if at all) may outweigh just getting a replacement gauge.

Offline schaffer970

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »
I got my gauge in July of 2003.  It was reasonably clear until the last couple of years and is still serviceable.  I put ArmorAll on it about once a year for most of it's life and that worked pretty well.  Recently moved and just bought a new gauge and finally a Davis VP2 which will be going up soon.  :grin:

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 07:40:26 PM »
Don't dispose of the cylinder because it leaks.  Buy IPS Weld-On #16 adhesive in a tube.  It is a solvent based adhesive for acrylic.  This is the recommended adhesive for repairing the winter ice broken gauges.  The crack repair is very strong. 
It's easier to order the adhesive online.  It may be difficult to find it in your hardware store.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
Nice info in this thread for when I might need to refer to it. Mine is going on its 3d or 4th summer heat here in Texas and showing no ill effects.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »
I'll probably end up getting a new inner tube soon. I'm assuming what happened is that while I was off at school (Nobody tends to my gauge while I'm at school so I don't record late August-April), ice froze inside of the little tube and caused the bottom part to expand. The bottom of the inner tube simply just popped off. So I took some aluminum foil and super glue and just carefully wrapped it around the bottom of the tube. 3 months later and it works like a charm still  :-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 12:05:09 AM »
Has anyone ever had a crack form on the inner tube at the corner of that little square notch? That happened to mine almost right away. Not really any affect on the performance as it is just a crack, but annoying just the same. I thought perhaps it was due to stress build-up because of the sharp corner. I've bought a new inner cylinder and am going to file the square corners of the notch round and see if that helps any.

anything