Author Topic: John McCain  (Read 913 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
John McCain
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:18:44 AM »
This is not intended to be political in any way... but hearing the news of the passing of John McCain III is sorrowful after just last week while at our lakeside cottage reading the book "First On The Moon" https://www.amazon.com/First-Moon-Armstrong-Michael-Collins/dp/0316051608 (the cottage has been in my wife's family for over 130 years and there is quite a collection of books there).
The book, published in 1970, is a very detailed accounting of that 1969 Apollo 11 voyage which many of us can still remember.   It was a very interesting read of that historic event but one small section in particular put it in a 2018 perspective.  In the section detailing Apollo 11 recovery after that historic splash down the book mentions that a senior naval officer on the recovery ship USS Hornet also had a historic connection, as Admiral John McCain Jr was the son of another great and distinguished naval officer, Admiral John McCain Sr.  The book then goes on to say that John McCain Jr has a son John III and in a simple sentence saying he was then a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.  When reading that part of the book and knowing John III was now seriously ill my mind drifted to how John III has also become distinguished in his career now 49 years later.  Hearing of his passing can't but help to remember those that have served!
Sincerely,Paul

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: John McCain
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
I wasn't aware that he refused to be released until everyone before him was freed also.
I wonder how many of us would do that. It takes a man with special convictions to do what he did.
RIP
You can read about it here.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7103291/john-mccain-vietnam-torture-hanoi/

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
Will there be a movie "A4 Skyhawk" for John as there was "PT-109" for Jack?
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »
And we lost Neil Simon today as well.   

Online alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »
John McCain was a true American hero who was willing to put conscience and country above self interest. He will be missed.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
John McCain was a true American hero who was willing to put conscience and country above self interest. He will be missed.

I totally agree.

i didn't always agree with him politically but he is still my hero.