Author Topic: Adding sensors to a WMR200  (Read 3993 times)

Offline minglegs

• Bob
    • lubebeck Weather
Adding sensors to a WMR200
« on: January 23, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »
I've got a WMR200 and want to add some add'l temp sensors in different parts of my yard.
From what I can tell on the OS website I need to purchase either a THGR800 (3-ch) or THGR810 (10-Ch) to add additional channels.
Do these multichannel units really have 3 and 10 sensors? or is this a matter of me purchasing a THG810 for each additional channel I want to add?

Also, does anyone know if there is a problem keeping the THGR810 outside through the winter? It's frequently sub-freezing here in NH.

This stuff doesn't seem to be well documented anywhere! 

Thanks for the help!

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: Adding sensors to a WMR200
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
Have them here outside all winter..... 810 is  10 channel and you will need 1 per channel

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
I have an 810 that I use as a soil temperature probe. It is inside the housing which can be seen in the picture below, that keeps it dry and so far it's been fine at -8c.

Alan.

Alan

Offline Protea

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
I've got a WMR200 and want to add some add'l temp sensors in different parts of my yard.
From what I can tell on the OS website I need to purchase either a THGR800 (3-ch) or THGR810 (10-Ch) to add additional channels.
Do these multichannel units really have 3 and 10 sensors? or is this a matter of me purchasing a THG810 for each additional channel I want to add?

Also, does anyone know if there is a problem keeping the THGR810 outside through the winter? It's frequently sub-freezing here in NH.

This stuff doesn't seem to be well documented anywhere! 

Thanks for the help!

I think you're misunderstanding what multi-channel means. It doesn't mean that the units have multiple sensors, but rather that they can transmit the data wirelessly across one of either 3 or 10 different frequencies. A WMR200 can accept up to 10 frequency channels (tap on the "CH" button) so effectively 10 sensors (excluding wind, rain, indoor sensors of course).

Ensure that the sensor is labelled as using the 3.0 protocol which is compatible with the WMR200. The Oregon Scientific website usually also lists which units a sensor is compatible with. Both of these sensors will work with your WMR200, but it's probably a good idea to get the 810 as it supports 10 different frequencies which does make it more flexible as you add more sensors to your setup ... and it seems to be cheaper than the older 800.

Offline mdtaylorlrim

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:30:31 AM »
A WMR200 can accept up to 10 frequency channels (tap on the "CH" button) so effectively 10 sensors (excluding wind, rain, indoor sensors of course).

Ensure that the sensor is labelled as using the 3.0 protocol which is compatible with the WMR200. The Oregon Scientific website usually also lists which units a sensor is compatible with. Both of these sensors will work with your WMR200, but it's probably a good idea to get the 810 as it supports 10 different frequencies which does make it more flexible as you add more sensors to your setup ... and it seems to be cheaper than the older 800.
Given the price difference between the 800 and the 810, and I only need three more temp sensors it makes no sense to spend the extra for the 810. However, if in the future I wanted additional ones, do the frequencies conflict any so that i would then have to replace the 800's?

In other words, can I mix the 800 and 810, with three 800's and seven 810's? There is enough flexibility in the channel selection, right?

Thanks

anything