Poll

What hosting company do you recommend? (recommend one or two)

GoDaddy
6 (8.2%)
Bluehost
2 (2.7%)
Hostgator
2 (2.7%)
NameCheap
2 (2.7%)
1&1
3 (4.1%)
SiteGround
2 (2.7%)
iPage
0 (0%)
inmotion
1 (1.4%)
Hostinger
1 (1.4%)
Dreamhost
3 (4.1%)
MDDHosting
7 (9.6%)
A2 Hosting
1 (1.4%)
HostFav
0 (0%)
HostMonster
2 (2.7%)
Your own server
14 (19.2%)
Other
21 (28.8%)
ICDSoft
6 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: POLL: What hosting provider do you recommend for a PWS  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: POLL: What hosting provider do you recommend for a PWS
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:30 PM »
Seems as I was searching around I remember that most companies only offer 10 minute crons. but that may have changed?

Possibly 15 minutes. According to my previous host, A2Hosting, this is a limitation of CloudLinux (and it's "hooks" into cPanel), a common shared hosting platform.  I was on one of their "business" plans (maybe 3 or 4 levels up from the bottom level of shared hosting) and a 15 minute frequency limitation still applied.

I like to check alerts every minute, especially in the summer during severe weather season. Tornadoes can appear with almost no notice. I bill the site as "real-time weather". So I like to show alerts in as close to real time as possible. Certainly not everyone feels the need to do that, and so 15 minutes may be acceptable.

ICDSoft will let you run 3 crons at 15 minutes intervals. The support at ICDSoft is hands down the best I've ever seen. Any issue that I have had or created on my own was resolved in 15 minutes or less.

I have used Easycron for the last 3 years. I have the Plus plan at $24 a year. NWS updates every 2 minutes, so I have a cron set to that and activate it when I know severe weather will be in my state. I have it update on odd minutes.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
I am not sure I understand why they limit crons... :/

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 04:17:08 AM »

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

These are the shared hosting plans with Cpanel included at Godaddy being offered. Not exactly the same as the chart and they are sending me emails I need to upgrade to a business account. I currently have the Deluxe plan $14 a month as you can see nothing to brag about.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2019, 04:28:12 AM »
My biggest beef with ICD is their lack of domain privacy.  I was going to switch the domain to another registrar this year but got sidetracked until too late.  Maybe next year.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2019, 06:56:34 AM »
I'm a big fan of DigitalOcean. $5/month for 1GB RAM, 25 GB storage, 1TB of transfer data per "droplet" (server). They have lots of images you can have installed for your server, from Ubuntu to Debain to Fedora to a preconfigured Ubuntu LAMP server. And can easily upgrade your server as your site grows. Best of all, is that it's a VPS so you have full control over every aspect of it, and aren't limited to just whatever your host wants to let you do/install.

Not sure if referral links are allowed here in what amounts to a mass advertising post, lol, but if you wanna join, this link will get you $100 in credits over 60 days, and me $25 in credits: https://m.do.co/c/d5123b5b5af5.

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 07:25:40 AM »
Also, I've been using Google as a domain registrar for a couple years, and just bought BaxleyWeather.com from them for $12 a year. Instead of changing the nameservers to point at my DigitalOcean server, I just created a @ A record that points at my servers static IP, quicker startup than changing the nameservers and can still use Google's Domain page to set up other custom DNS records.

Offline icdsoft

• http://icdsoft.com
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 07:28:57 AM »
Greetings,

Maybe it's not right a hosting provider from the list to take part in the discussions here, and we will definitely not submit the poll :)

Still, if the moderator considers our post inappropriate, please remove it.

There are two points in the discussion that we would like to clear out:

I am not sure I understand why they limit crons... :/

We do limit crons on shared servers to three, in a 15-minute interval, and this is done simply for stability reasons. If all users can run a large number of one-minute cron jobs, this would be a risk for higher server loads and server instability. Stability and performance are of course top concerns. We prefer to set rules, as clear as possible, so that customers are aware what to expect even before signing up.

My biggest beef with ICD is their lack of domain privacy.  I was going to switch the domain to another registrar this year but got sidetracked until too late.  Maybe next year.

We do offer domain privacy for all TLDs that allow it, and it is completely free with each domain registration. For example, .us domains are not allowed to be private, but .com/.net/.org/.info do allow domain privacy.

Actually, with the implementation of the European GDPR by most domain registrars, the WHOIS privacy service has lost its importance. Our domain registrar (Enom) hide domain WHOIS contacts from the public by default. However, there is a feature called "gated WHOIS" that is to be implemented in the near future. Our domain privacy feature would actually remove customer data from this gated WHOIS, so that even Enom do not have access to the data of our customers.

So WeatherHost, you can just contact our support service to inquire regarding domain privacy.

Best to all,
Zafir
ICDSoft.com

Offline UpstateWeather.com

• Signature
  • Contributor
    • Upstate Weather
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
I personally use MDD Hosting and LOVE it! I've had them for a while and they are amazing to deal with. The customer service is what sells it. They are super responsive and actually helpful! I've had other hosting companies in the past and their customer service reps never provide detailed responses, or actually help for that matter. MDD Hosting does!

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum icd, Good timing? :)

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »

They've been around since the beginning:  Date Registered:  January 06, 2007, 03:13:47

They just don't post much.  And I can't say I've ever seen any of the other hosts here.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2019, 10:10:40 AM »

They've been around since the beginning:  Date Registered:  January 06, 2007, 03:13:47

They just don't post much.  And I can't say I've ever seen any of the other hosts here.

My point exactly :)
Nothing wrong with that.

----

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2019, 09:27:29 PM »
I just recently purchased a domain name and a hosting plan from Namecheap to start building my weather website. I've used them off and on for over 10 years for either domain names or hosting. Never had a problem with them.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2019, 09:37:28 PM »
I have been using ICDSoft for 3 years and cannot say enough good things about them. Fantastic support that has patience and understanding for everyone regardless of their knowledge or skills.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline graculus

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 10:25:24 PM »
SSL/HTTPS is a must these days, if only to avoid Chrome scaring away your visitors. It's shocking to see what some hosts are charging for a certificate, while others are including it for free.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2019, 10:32:17 PM »
while others are including it for free.
MDD Hosting is one of the free ones.

Doug

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2019, 10:39:47 PM »
SSL/HTTPS is a must these days, if only to avoid Chrome scaring away your visitors. It's shocking to see what some hosts are charging for a certificate, while others are including it for free.

Sad that all free hosts don't include Let'sEncrypt's free certificates.

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2019, 10:54:24 PM »

Namecheap offers a free SSLfrom Comodo.

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
Hello
I have been looking to replace my current web host GoDaddy due to subscription price increase. Have any of you folks had any experience with FASTCOMET https://www.fastcomet.com/?
If so any feedback will be appreciated.
Their service sounds good although some reviews on the Internet say their server response times are a little slow.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:38:07 PM by tshattuck »

Offline DeputyDawg

• Paul's Weather
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2021, 11:22:18 AM »
Hello all

I have been hosting my weather site for several years via GatorHost.

They are not awesome but not too bad.   

My renewal is coming  up and the prices are UN-Believable.  I will contact them to try and negotiate. Otherwise I will look elsewhere.

It was suggested to try IDC.  I looked.  Their into price is $2/month for the first year only then jumps to $6+   - thats too $$ for me for a simple weather site

Any other recommendations?

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2021, 05:50:50 PM »
I had Hostmonster for 3 years.  I was always able to find someone if I ran into  a problem at any hour of the day.    I discontinued my site because it seemed from the stat counter I used, no one was interested so I took the site down.

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 02:58:23 PM »
I have been using HostGator for a while now.  Time to renew @ $250 -- I don't think so.
I'm looking to migrate my site to another hosting service -- so this thread was helpful.  Not sure where to start but will look into some of those mentioned here -- that I've never even heard of.  Hopefully one will be a good fit.  My site is probably simpler than most, so I can't justify spending big buck on keeping it up.  Frankly, I probably use it more than anyone I know.
www.genesweather.info :)
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline DeputyDawg

• Paul's Weather
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2021, 03:13:19 PM »
I have been using HostGator for a while now.  Time to renew @ $250 -- I don't think so.
I'm looking to migrate my site to another hosting service -- so this thread was helpful.  Not sure where to start but will look into some of those mentioned here -- that I've never even heard of.  Hopefully one will be a good fit.  My site is probably simpler than most, so I can't justify spending big buck on keeping it up.  Frankly, I probably use it more than anyone I know.
www.genesweather.info :)

Btw overall NOT happy with Hostgator, but all my stuff is there.  My site and all setup was done for me, so not sure how I would migrate.

Anyways...  They quoted me this astronomical renewal rate (3 year).  I negotiated them down substantially..

FYI to everyone to do this for anything including cell, internet, tv etc

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
Update -- Sep 27, 2021

I checked out ICDSoft.com and man were they helpful.  I created an account (first year $24) next year $76.  They are doing the migration for me as we speak -- FREE.  I couldn't be happier. 

Thanks to those who posted recommendations based on their experience.

-geno
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline DeputyDawg

• Paul's Weather
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
Update -- Sep 27, 2021

I checked out ICDSoft.com and man were they helpful.  I created an account (first year $24) next year $76.  They are doing the migration for me as we speak -- FREE.  I couldn't be happier. 

Thanks to those who posted recommendations based on their experience.

-geno
24 a year is great.  But 76 a year is NOT.  I got Hostgator down to 150-ish for 3 years
COOL they are doing the migration
Let me know how it works out. who knows may bail from HG