Author Topic: PWSweather.com, The California Drought and Green Lawns  (Read 10239 times)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
PWSweather.com, The California Drought and Green Lawns
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:35:11 PM »
The data sent to PWSweather.com is going to help people with "smart sprinklers" efficiently water their lawns which could be critical due to the drought in California.  Rachio uses information from Aeris (which includes the PWSweather.com data) to tell sprinkler systems how much to water lawns.  NBC had a story on it...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/california-drought/can-tech-save-californias-green-lawns-n334816

So if you want to save water and try to keep a greener lawn, send data to PWSweather.com and buy a system from Rachio. 8-)
Joe Torsitano

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
Re: PWSweather.com, The California Drought and Green Lawns
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »
Not to sound like a jerk, but watching the stories on TV lately & with all the reservoirs so low you can walk across them,
why do they even permit people to water their lawns to begin with?
Tony

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 05:05:55 PM »
Last year, our local water dept. passed an ordinance asking for a voluntary 20% reduction in water usage and a mandatory restriction on lawn watering to twice a week from June 1 to Sept 30 and only once a week the rest of the year which clearly isn't enough to keep a lawn alive anyway.  So, if we are restricted to water our lawns once or twice a week, I don't see how those smart sprinklers are going to help anyway especially in the summer months when we don't get any rain or very little.  Many people have opted to let their lawns go dry as it is, including myself.  Last summer you saw a lot of brown lawns so don't think that people are not paying attention and taking action.  And with Guv Brown's recent press conference calling for a mandatory 25% cutback, I can only see the restrictions getting even worse.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:08:26 PM by Harryca »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:09:17 PM »
Not to sound like a jerk, but watching the stories on TV lately & with all the reservoirs so low you can walk across them,

Some places actually run into a Catch22. The water dept will impose watering restrictions, or people will just do the right thing and let the lawn die, or put in natives, or even just a vegetable garden.

Then they get violations from another city dept or an HOA that they are violating landscaping rules.

Then there are also people that are just freaking clueless...

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:32:10 PM »
Has there been any talk of desalinization plants being built?
I would think with no aquifer and basically run off being the water supply that a viable back up would be a no brainer.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »

Some places actually run into a Catch22. The water dept will impose watering restrictions, or people will just do the right thing and let the lawn die, or put in natives, or even just a vegetable garden.

Then they get violations from another city dept or an HOA that they are violating landscaping rules.

That actually happened not too far from me.  The HOA was going to fine the homeowner for letting the grass dry up but then, they relented after the water dept. and county stepped in.  A good example of being clueless.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:37:39 PM by Harryca »

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:35:30 PM »
I would think with no aquifer and basically run off being the water supply that a viable back up would be a no brainer.

Yes, they are actually doing it here already.  Part of our water comes from wells, desalinization, and the Sierra.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:54:41 PM »

That actually happened not too far from me.  The HOA was going to fine the homeowner for letting the grass dry up but then, they relented after the water dept. and county stepped in.  A good example of being clueless.
That's just mind boggling. :roll:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 09:01:17 PM »
One article I read claimed part of the problem was people moving from the East (my area) to the desert regions and then trying to pretend they were still living in the East dumping tons of water over the entire yard to keep it lush and green.   #-o That's kind of like moving to Florida and wanting snow or moving to Northern Michigan and complaining about the cold in my book.  In that regard it's not so much of a climate change issue as it is a plain ole people and lack of logical thinking issue.   :roll:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »
Jeez, when my career took me from the east to the west a long time ago, I was looking forward to NOT having a lawn to mow.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 12:53:52 AM »

Here's an interesting article about desalinization:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102563014

I think they should try to use more gray water in the yards and gardens.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 12:55:15 AM »
One article I read claimed part of the problem was people moving from the East (my area) to the desert regions and then trying to pretend they were still living in the East dumping tons of water over the entire yard to keep it lush and green.   #-o That's kind of like moving to Florida and wanting snow or moving to Northern Michigan and complaining about the cold in my book.  In that regard it's not so much of a climate change issue as it is a plain ole people and lack of logical thinking issue.   :roll:

Like people moving to the country and then complaining that there's not a nearby Walmart or grocery store.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 12:59:59 AM »
Rachio uses information from Aeris (which includes the PWSweather.com data) to tell sprinkler systems how much to water lawns.

That's good for you!   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »

Here's an interesting article about desalinization:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102563014

I think they should try to use more gray water in the yards and gardens.

Good article.  Thanks.  There are a few people that are using gray water and also collecting rain water in huge containers to water the lawn and whatever.  When we had our last big drought, my neighbor collected rain water in a 55 gal. drum and used that to water the lawn and plants.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »

Like people moving to the country and then complaining that there's not a nearby Walmart or grocery store.

Guilty of that. I didn't realize how much I would miss Walmart until I moved to my small country town, closest shopping 130 miles away and realized everything was twice as expensive living in small town USA. 
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »

Mark,

You've hit the nail on the head with your comments! Lots of folks have moved to the arid areas of the country. Unfortunately they only saw the vast open lands they could purchase. Then they irrigated their lands and lawns until they had nice green grass. Now, when a major drought hits, they rant and rave and want to grab the water from the mountains (the SIERRA) but guess what? With the drought and lack of rain and snowfall for the past few years, the reservoirs and aquifers have run dry and there isn't enough water available to support the vast populations that have built-up along the coastal areas of California and the desert areas of Nevada. Add to that the gross mismanagement by the government controlled water systems and you have what has become a major issue in the western part of our country.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:51 AM »
And then there is the recycling water from waste water (sewer water).  Some of the water plants are mixing it in at a rate of 20%.  One plant in Texas is running 100% waste water into it's fresh water.  They say the water coming out the backside of waste water plant is cleaner than out of a water plant.  Astronauts have been doing it for years.  But I'm fairly certain I would have to pass :( .

Mark

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 12:54:56 PM »
Santa Barbara is demothballing its 20 year old desal plant that has never been used. Cambria CA is just now commissioning its new desal plant. The Diablo Canyon Nuclear plant has used desal for all of its potable and process water since commissioning.

One interesting thing is that most desal plants here don't use direct seawater. They pump brackish water from near shore wells. The salt content may be less, but mainly, the water is already filtered, saving some expense and steps in the process.

The City of San Luis Obispo has been recycling some of its wastewater for more than 10 years, irrigating parks, the golf course, and landscaping with it. If you are adjacent to a purple water line, I believe you are required to use reclaimed water.

Another interesting factoid... Even thought all of the City's potable water is imported from other watersheds, or pumped from wells, it is required to continue dumping enough treated effluent into the creek to keep the stream live year around all to way to the Pacific.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
I have a 275 gallon tote collecting roof runoff for supplemental watering. Our aluminum shingle roof also condenses a fair amount of dew some nights that runs off into it. I measured it once and posted that to another forum. I'll have to look for it.

Good article.  Thanks.  There are a few people that are using gray water and also collecting rain water in huge containers to water the lawn and whatever.  When we had our last big drought, my neighbor collected rain water in a 55 gal. drum and used that to water the lawn and plants.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
Rachio uses information from Aeris (which includes the PWSweather.com data) to tell sprinkler systems how much to water lawns.

That's good for you!   =D>

I'm just glad the data from PWSweather is being used in a practical application.  When I started it 14 years ago that was always one of my ideas.  Provide a place for the data and then let others develop good ways to use it.  When someone else decided my previously "not relevant" idea actually was good and started doing it themselves most of the development went to them.  But I didn't give up.  :-)
Joe Torsitano

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »
I have a 275 gallon tote collecting roof runoff for supplemental watering. Our aluminum shingle roof also condenses a fair amount of dew some nights that runs off into it. I measured it once and posted that to another forum. I'll have to look for it.

Here in Oregon it is illegal to collect rain water in any form.  :?
Joe Torsitano

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »

30 miles north of us, the City of Paso Robles is encouraging it.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 03:18:24 PM »

OK, I'll go first. Mosquitoes?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 08:14:05 PM »

Guilty of that. I didn't realize how much I would miss Walmart until I moved to my small country town, closest shopping 130 miles away and realized everything was twice as expensive living in small town USA.

Amazon Prime/UPS is our supplier for many many things.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »
Water trucks are a good business in CA.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102569793
Greg Whitehead