Author Topic: New members from Accuweather forums .. a bit of orientation  (Read 26435 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: New members from Accuweather forums .. a bit of orientation
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2023, 07:28:59 AM »
I think that the members from Accuweather forums are now mostly hanging out (and posting a lot) on the new forum they created at https://wxdisco.com/ . While all are still welcome here, the bulk of the conversations you were seeing on Accuweather are now taking place there.

Not any more:

"Wanted to take this time to thank all the members who brought love and heart to the site, who made WX Disco a great destination and our home the past 5 years. Unfortunately we can no longer go on with no financial support so as of April 7th we will be closing. "

The place was kind of a joke to begin with.  Way too much fluff and focus on fancy design.   There hasn't been much traffic there in quite a while.

Offline MaineJay

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2023, 06:49:37 AM »
I think that the members from Accuweather forums are now mostly hanging out (and posting a lot) on the new forum they created at https://wxdisco.com/ . While all are still welcome here, the bulk of the conversations you were seeing on Accuweather are now taking place there.

Not any more:

"Wanted to take this time to thank all the members who brought love and heart to the site, who made WX Disco a great destination and our home the past 5 years. Unfortunately we can no longer go on with no financial support so as of April 7th we will be closing. "

The place was kind of a joke to begin with.  Way too much fluff and focus on fancy design.   There hasn't been much traffic there in quite a while.

Many folks left that forum early last year due to differences in how the owner of the site was running it, and that led to threatening language being used.   It could have been a good site, and I don't disagree about some of the "frills" implemented.  It should be noted that threats of "shutting down" have been made for a couple years.
   A number of us have tried to yet again migrate to a new site (though I won't advertise out of respect).  We focus more on forecasts, modeling,real time observations, and stuff like that.  Generally, it's a winter heavy discussion, but tropical storms and severe weather outbreaks also get some traffic.  There are several NWS forecasters who regularly post, but primarily, it's mostly weather obsessed hobbyists, hoping for snow.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2023, 02:28:27 PM »
I've been intermittently following along on the wxdisco site the saga of rising untenable expenses .. it happens with cloud services and high-featured/graphic.storage heavy sites.  Fortunately, WXForum is on a small-sized, fixed cost VPS so I don't have runaway expenses to front, and the occasional donation does help defray the operating cost for hosting/domain expenses.

I see wxdisco has adopted a monthly or yearly subscription for access .. hopefully it will allow their further operation in a sustainable manner.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP